Sehwag proves once again: Batting Strike rate matters a heck in tests.

patriot

Cricinfo's list of candidates for the "Player of the Decade" did not include Sehwag. Except for Rahul Bhattacharya and a few Sehwag fans in forums like this, no body questioned the exclusion vehemently. If this were the 90's, a list without Tendulkar would not have been imaginable. This alone should put things into perspective. Even Rahul B. did not think that Sehwag was the best of this decade but wanted him as an option for the paradigm change he brought to opening batting. Sehwag had the average and the big scores, so why do you think he was excluded? Dravid and Chanderpaul, two players not known to have excelled in ODIs, were included in the list so you cannot say it was because of lack of ODI performances. The answer is it comes down to consistency when comparing great batsmen in the Test arena.

Patriot - we all have our own opinions but can we not present them without bad mouthing each other? Consider this a polite request - I know I am new here and all that :). It is not as if opening is the only role that is challenging in cricket from a batting perspective. Each role is different and is equally important. After all a wicket is a wicket for the opposition as long as it is a top order batsman. Tendulkar not opening cannot be held against him. Sehwag is a special talent. He has world beating talent. But why are we arguing that Sehwag is greater than Sachin when the man himself has no qualms supplicating himself to the master when it comes to the craft of batting. Let Sehwag cross the 10,000 runs barrier and play 2-3 more seasons and then it would be time for us to come back to this thread and discuss comparative greatness between these two. Right now, I am afraid is not the time for Sehwag to stand up to comparison with Sachin Tendulkar.
vortex don't worry about being new to the site, your posts are more valued than that trolls. This dude claims he has nothing against Tendulkar, yet constantly starts up topics to bring down Tendulkar, then gets pwned and comes back a month or so later with a new angle and gets pwned again, once he tried comparing Tendulkar against Murali :haha:
2 cents , Only this ? You only have to back by one more series http://www.cricinfo.com/indvsl2009/engine/match/430883.html 5th day, ***.end of the match result. A victory because of a near triple within a day. You can keep wondering about what if and what that..and about saving games, till the cows come home.
You do understand when i said 1-2 games it was used metamorphically? Like a few,a handful, etc. Then please explain how come Sachin has a better win %, Sachin's 100s have resulted in more wins than Viru's if it was a simple matter of strike rate or scoring more runs in less overs?
Cricinfo's list of candidates for the "Player of the Decade" did not include Sehwag. Except for Rahul Bhattacharya and a few Sehwag fans in forums like this' date=' no body questioned the exclusion vehemently. If this were the 90's, a list without Tendulkar would not have been imaginable. This alone should put things into perspective. Even Rahul B. did not think that Sehwag was the best of this decade but wanted him as an option for the paradigm change he brought to opening batting. Sehwag had the average and the big scores, so why do you think he was excluded? Dravid and Chanderpaul, two players not known to have excelled in ODIs, were included in the list so you cannot say it was because of lack of ODI performances. The answer is it comes down to consistency when comparing great batsmen in the Test arena.[/quote'] Teacup - I think the commentary/expert team erred in not picking Sehwag while picking Jayawardene for consideration for this award. Erred big time. However I am with you in principle about not comparing Sachin and Sehwag. Why should we? Should we not be glad that they are both playing for us? That too in the same era? We should be clinking together beer mugs at this not fighting each other for God's sake! :)
vortex don't worry about being new to the site' date=' your posts are more valued than that trolls. This dude claims he has nothing against Tendulkar, yet constantly starts up topics to bring down Tendulkar, then gets pwned and comes back a month or so later with a new angle and gets pwned again, once he tried comparing Tendulkar against Murali :haha:[/quote'] Thanks Sachinism. I have enjoyed my time here.
Teacup - I think the commentary/expert team erred in not picking Sehwag while picking Jayawardene for consideration for this award. Erred big time. However I am with you in principle about not comparing Sachin and Sehwag. Why should we? Should we not be glad that they are both playing for us? That too in the same era? We should be clinking together beer mugs at this not fighting each other for God's sake! :) Thanks Sachinism. I have enjoyed my time here.
Agree completely. Cricinfo even picked Chanderpaul over Sehwag. For all C'paul's achievements, he can never be the match-winner that Sehwag was in the noughties. And yes, we should be really glad that we have both Sachin and Sehwag and that we got to see them both play together in the same era, something we just missed with Gavaskar and Sachin.
However I am with you in principle about not comparing Sachin and Sehwag. Why should we? Should we not be glad that they are both playing for us? That too in the same era? We should be clinking together beer mugs at this not fighting each other for God's sake! :)
exactly... but u dont expect this frm a half-baked idiots who come here and throw some gibberish and vanish..
Teacup - I think the commentary/expert team erred in not picking Sehwag while picking Jayawardene for consideration for this award. Erred big time. However I am with you in principle about not comparing Sachin and Sehwag. Why should we? Should we not be glad that they are both playing for us? That too in the same era? We should be clinking together beer mugs at this not fighting each other for God's sake! :) Thanks Sachinism. I have enjoyed my time here.
Well, Jayawardene would have got in with additional points for being SL's best captain (his side made it to the WC final) since Ranatunga. I agree you can make a good case for Sehwag's inclusion but the point I was trying to make here is while comparing great batsmen, like the Player of the Decade exercise was about , consistency is the most important parameter used and that could have been the only reason Sehwag missed out despite his destructive batting. Honestly, I am not for elevating anyone to God-like status and if Patriot's point was only about that I would readily agree with him. Everybody has flaws, Sachin and Sehwag are no exceptions and if you really need to compare two batsmen you have to wait until both their careers are over to take all the positives and negatives into consideration. Lastly, Patriot seems unable to understand that Strike Rate is NOT the all-important factor to win Test Matches. Rahul Dravid, who has the worst strike rate in our batting line-up, has won more matches than anyone in the last decade for us.
Agree completely. Cricinfo even picked Chanderpaul over Sehwag. For all C'paul's achievements' date= he can never be the match-winner that Sehwag was in the noughties. And yes, we should be really glad that we have both Sachin and Sehwag and that we got to see them both play together in the same era, something we just missed with Gavaskar and Sachin.
Sorry, I disagree. Chanderpaul's record is second to none. He would have won more matches for his team if the supporting cast had been stronger.

Fair to say that Sachin cannot consistently score massive hundreds at the pace Sehwag does - Sachin only has 2-3 such quick innings against the top sides and none were over run a ball. But on the other hand, Sehwag cannot consistently score across conditions and opposition like Sehwag can - Sehwag averages under 27 in NZ and SA while Sachin's lowest average in any country is 39 in SA. Both are great players in their own way but you would value that consistency across the board a little more in Test cricket than quick scoring, and also Sachin has played more than twice as many Tests. But we are privileged to have both of them playing for India, and that's all that matters ultimately.

Andy Zaltzman has this piece of statistic to share and it comes in handy with the discussion of Strike Rate and it's importance et al.

Of the 111 batsmen who have opened the batting in 10 or more Tests since 1980, Virender Sehwag has the highest strike rate, obviously, by miles, at 82, and the highest average as an opener, 54.88. Good player. Better than you, better than me. But if you're looking for your opener to stick around and wear the bowling down, look elsewhere. The average Sehwag opening innings lasts 67 balls. The average Chris Tavaré effort was 105 balls. Sure, Sehwag might hit a few more fours and sixes, but the opener's job is to see off the new ball. Give me Tavaré.
I think we should move Sehwag down to No.5 or No.6 and open with Vijay and Gambhir. Sehwag himself wants to play in the middle order and this is a good time as any to oblige him. He would have his rest and as he says, who knows he might be a better batsman playing down the order. His high strike rate will be of more value coming in at No.6 just as Gilchrist's was.
This piece of stat dug out by AZ is frankly as ridiculous as patriot's tripe in this thread.
It is a statistic, not an opinion. You may or may not agree with the inference he makes out of the statistic but you cannot trash the statistic itself except if it is incorrect.