Are you in the right occupation

Rajiv

Actually I am supporter of that' date=' farmers are taken for ride in existing economic chain setup.. Contractors decide the price.. Don't worry thela is not going anywhere despite mushrooming reliance fresh u will still find deli street flooded with those hawkers[/quote'] I am not as convinced as you are. Tell you teh truth I am more than happy if palaak-saag continues to be sold at 4 Rs kg in Bihar. Everytime my parents visit my brother in Delhi that is their biggest lament. Ghar pe darwaaze pe 4 rupiah mein yeh double phool-gobhi(shayad 2 kilo ka hota hoga). Delhi jaate ke saath 5 rupiah ka ek paav woh bhi aksar poorana. Mumbai mein aur mehenga. An interesting side affect of the high vegetable prices is that many people just prefer to each non-veg. Why buy vegetable for 30-40 Rs a kg when you can get chicken for a few bucks more? The issue is not so much for rich people obviously but for middle class. xxx

Guest dada_rocks
I am not as convinced as you are. Tell you teh truth I am more than happy if palaak-saag continues to be sold at 4 Rs kg in Bihar. Everytime my parents visit my brother in Delhi that is their biggest lament. Ghar pe darwaaze pe 4 rupiah mein yeh double phool-gobhi(shayad 2 kilo ka hota hoga). Delhi jaate ke saath 5 rupiah ka ek paav woh bhi aksar poorana. Mumbai mein aur mehenga. An interesting side affect of the high vegetable prices is that many people just prefer to each non-veg. Why buy vegetable for 30-40 Rs a kg when you can get chicken for a few bucks more? The issue is not so much for rich people obviously but for middle class. xxx
Of course you will be happy u are buyer of that cheap vegetable ..:giggle: Whenevr I see 4 Rs a kilo saag my mind goes to what actually has gone in producing that 1 kg of palak. Sala kamad tod ke kaam karte hain wo kisan bechare hath mein aata hai ghanta.

Whenevr I see 4 Rs a kilo saag my mind goes to what actually has gone in producing that 1 kg of palak. Sala kamad tod ke kaam karte hain wo kisan bechare hath mein aata hai ghanta.
Baat mein dam hai, lekin jo rate Delhi/Mumbai mein hota hai woh thore hi farmers ke haath mein jaata hai. Woh to beech waala hi lekar jaayega. And I dont see that changing. My other worry is that many farmers have stopped growing traditional crops and have gone for cash crops like soy, shimla mirch etc. Aajkal to flower bhi grow hota hai. Again maybe good for farmers(and it is their field afterall) lekin mere pet ka kya hoga? :sad_smile:

Guest dada_rocks

Farmers get fixed price irrespective of how much they grow and it's more than what they used to get.. Earlier if u have more suddenly contractor wud force u to seel it on lreduced price. U have no means to store it so u had to acquisce to their irrational price offers.. Han wo Delhi/mumbai wala price justified nahin hai... Yes big business house money bana raha hai par bottomline is 700 million depedent on farming are getting better deal.. nearly 4 lakh middlemen of mom/pop shop will not be taking advatnage of farmer's predicament.. Cash crops hai par ye crops large scale pe karna aasan nahin hai...... still bulk of the land is sowed with paddy/wheat/maize etc crop........

Guest dada_rocks

That's little too precise a field ( chemical engg) for someone at 12th standard..Usually people at that age think in terms of engg , medicine law yada yada..

That's little too precise a field ( chemical engg) for someone at 12th standard..Usually people at that age think in terms of engg ' date=' medicine law yada yada..[/quote'] Whatcha sayin' DR? After 12th exams, when you apply for engg college, you need to mark which branch of engg you are applying to . So, 12th is not too early for thinking abt which branch you want, correct?

Whatcha sayin' DR? After 12th exams, when you apply for engg college, you need to mark which branch of engg you are applying to . So, 12th is not too early for thinking abt which branch you want, correct?
Really? Didnt work that way for me. Got into Engineering, then picked Mechanical Engg simply because it was supposed to be the best branch at the college I wanted to go to.

Really? Didnt work that way for me. Got into Engineering, then picked Mechanical Engg simply because it was supposed to be the best branch at the college I wanted to go to.
She is right Lurker... somehow in 11th and 12th grade you tend to see what your interests are... though I decided about my computer science before 10th

She is right Lurker... somehow in 11th and 12th grade you tend to see what your interests are...though I decided about my computer science before 10th
That is how it should be Apo, except it didnt work like that for me. In fact I would say it does not work like that for most students, atleast a lot of them. See in India if you get into Engineering via competitive exams then what stream you pick is dependent on your rank. And generally most of us want the "sexy" branch - Comp, Electronics, Mechanical etc. And that too in the college of our choice. So it is not unexpected that a person gets a branch even though he didnt want it. For me it was a different case, aise muhn uthaaye pahoonch gaya tha counselling mein.

Guest dada_rocks

For the majority of the population branch is decided by entrance exam rank.. I don't know many who compromise on school to get particular branch or go out of their way against rank-demands to choose some branch which is not billed highly in terms of reputation. This kind of explains CS getting filled within 200 AIR.. ( Don't know how far it goes these days but that's how it ised to be in my days) EE ( Didn't go beyond 400 even in Khadagpur) In fact counsellors roam around with a sheet showing at what rank whihc branchf of which closed and opened to give u an idea and in fact to also influence ur decision .. Basically there was set pattern particular branch of particualr school will get filled by this rank give and take +/- 50 AIR ( hawa) it was sort of written in stone.. That's why I asked the question.. I wanted to join MSc physics but popular opinion based on rank demanded either cs/ee.. I chose ee to be little closer to physics.. U knew so early in ur life that u wanted to study Chemical Engg .. Yes the popular ones everybody thinks they want:giggle: but chemical engg is not that popular choice in india so u must be quite informed guy at that stage of ur career.:two_thumbs_up:

Guest dada_rocks
Dictum is best branch ( in terms of reputation) one's entrance exam rank can afford:two_thumbs_up: There are few exceptions but that's how it pans out normally

Lurks, that is new for me. So, when did you have to decide your stream ? Beginning of 2nd year ?
It worked like this. I wanted to get into IAF, so passed NDA and then left it. This happened in XIIth. Like most guys my age I had filled Engg exams forms and so I took them. Got a decent rank in State and then had to appear at Counselling. It was then that it struck me I had to pick a branch too. At that time I didnt want to leave Bihar, neither did parents, so decided to go for RIT Jamshedpur. Mech Engg was great there so I became a Mechanical Engg from RIT. Essentially I gave the exams without thinking which branch I shall pick. xxx