'Al-Qaeda ringleader' wins appeal against deportation

Gunner_Mania

The alleged leader of an al-Qaeda plot to bomb targets in north-west England has won his appeal against deportation. A special immigration court said Abid Naseer was an al-Qaeda operative - but could not be deported because he faced torture or death back home in Pakistan. Mr Naseer, 23, was one of 10 Pakistani men arrested last April as part of a massive counter-terrorism operation in Liverpool and Manchester. Student, Ahmad Faraz Khan, also 23, won his appeal on similar grounds. The security services believed the men were planning to attack within days of their arrest, but neither was charged. 'Stigmatised for life' A Conservative minister indicated the government would not, after all, be changing the law to allow the deportations to go ahead. This is despite a Tory election promise that the Human Rights Act would be abolished. The Home Secretary, Theresa May, said she would not be appealing against the ruling, handed down by the Special Immigration Appeals Commission. She said: "We are disappointed that the court has ruled that Abid Naseer and Ahmad Faraz Khan should not be deported to Pakistan, which we were seeking on national security grounds. "As the court agreed, they are a security risk to the UK. We are now taking all possible measures to ensure they do not engage in terrorist activity." The lawyer for both men, Gareth Peirce, said the ruling was the "worst of all possible worlds" because they were flagged up as being involved in terrorism based on evidence "one is not told". She said: "It's no victory even though the young men have won, in the sense that they have been stigmatised for life and put at risk or even further risk in their own country on the basis of the shocking phenomenon of secret evidence. "It's no way to conduct justice. If people have committed a crime, put them on trial." More
:omg:

Nothing new about this. a) European Union have laws against death penalty. Criminals who are certain to face death penalty have used this to avoid extradition. From Indian perspective notable underworld goon Abu Salem was extradited to India(from Portugal) only after Indian Govt's assurance that death penalty wont be invoked. b) Me thinks it is better this person is in England. All things considered there is a better chance of him being off the terrorist line in UK than Pakistan where he could very easily be let go.

Guest Gunner
Nothing new about this. a) European Union have laws against death penalty. Criminals who are certain to face death penalty have used this to avoid extradition. From Indian perspective notable underworld goon Abu Salem was extradited to India(from Portugal) only after Indian Govt's assurance that death penalty wont be invoked. b) Me thinks it is better this person is in England. All things considered there is a better chance of him being off the terrorist line in UK than Pakistan where he could very easily be let go.
Spot on. I just want to point out that EU does not have laws against the death penalty per se however as the EU law does not permit it the same protection is afforded to those who are permanent residents of EU countries. As these Pakistani gentlemen seem to have been there for a few years I guess they are permanent residents of the UK. However if they had been on a temporary visa it would have been cancelled for visa regulation violation and they would have been barred re-entry into the UK. The only case I know where the UK took the strong measure of not allowing one of its long term residents re-entry back into the UK was in the case of Omar bakri mohammed aka the Tottenham Ayatollah. He was denied return to the UK after he went back to his home country Lebanon as he was considered a disturbance to public peace and harmony due to his hate preaching. I don't really believe that this is being soft on terrorism. I would not support the deportation and handing over of any of these men to the US authorities either.