Learning Hindi or English a must in Indian Schools?

head coach

Re: Learning Hindi or English a must in Indian Schools?

We don't have a national language.
Err , We have a National Language and it is Hindi.
Link?
No , but it is accepted as National Language.
By whom? You can't just accept it and expect it to be. It has to become the National language and it has not. I think we should make English the National language.
I guess majority of Indians. The fact is more people speak Hindi than English or any other language. So given a chance , I would make Hindi the National Language but would be advocate learning of local language.

We don't have a national language.
Err , We have a National Language and it is Hindi.
Link?
No , but it is accepted as National Language.
By whom? You can't just accept it and expect it to be. It has to become the National language and it has not. I think we should make English the National language.
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/in.html
I think the CIA has it wrong. I have seen sections of the constitution refer to Hindi as the "Official" language not "National" language. http://www.constitution.org/cons/india/p17343.html In either case 70% of the population doesn't know it. What is the point of making them learn it when we can make 100% of the population learn English which most definitely would be more useful than Hindi? All those 70% also have their own native language to learn. Three languages is a bit too much IMO.

All those 70% also have their own native language to learn.
Where did you get this 70 % percentage from ? On the contrary I would think 70% would know Hindi. We have the entire northern belt that speak Hindi including the two most populous states of India(UP and Bihar). At least 30 to 40 % population have Hindi as their mother tongue . And another 20 to 30 % working knowledge.

Re: Learning Hindi or English a must in Indian Schools? I got it from the CIA link Cricketics provided. No matter what percentage of Indians can now speak Hindi, it is not the mother tongue of most Indians. It can only be learnt at the expense of learning your own local language. As far as I am concerned English is a must. And I don't think we can expect all population to learn to read and write in 3 languages. I don't see the problem with English. Most of the Hindi speaking belt can use some good English skills anyways. When I learnt Hindi as a third language I did so with little interest as I was already loaded with Tamil as second language. I reluctantly finished my Hindi courses without learning much. I then learnt more Hindi when I worked in Baroda and then had several Hindi speaking friends after I came to the US and can now read and write Hindi to a decent level. But if I had to learn Hindi at school level proficiently, it would have to be at the expense of learning Tamil proficiently, which would have been unfortunate.

Re: Learning Hindi or English a must in Indian Schools? language is always gonna be a problem in a country like india.... no other country has such a problem to deal with.... ideally, if sanskrit was the official or national language, nobody would have a problem cos it is understood and accepted that our ancestors and gods had tht as their language..... but it becomes an issue only when people are asked to learn someone else's mother tongue and the issue becomes touchy..... paakis like headcoach are getting smarter..... instead of dividing india at the top from kashmir to the rest, they are trying to divide between north and south..... i would appreciate, if people stopped responding to his provocations....

Would have liked Sanskrit to have been our national language, but it probably means everyone has to learn it.
ideally, if sanskrit was the official or national language, nobody would have a problem cos it is understood and accepted that our ancestors and gods had tht as their language
I think if Sanskrit was the official/national language, i'd have a lot of problems with it and most likely, so would a lot of others. I learnt a little bit of Sanskrit from my grandfather and it has a zillion times more complicated grammar and rules than Hindi or Bengali. Sanskrit = sonovabitch to learn and operate. I agree that Indian schooling system should focus on English, Hindi and one other language in the curriculum, the third being open to the students to deciede on. And true, English is the new global language which is why we gotto learn it. But there is no reason to sacrifice our languages and linguistics to learn English only.

Re: Learning Hindi or English a must in Indian Schools? CC...you are wrong about the complicated grammar of sanskrit... since you learnt from your Grand father...you did not get enough training.. i studied sanskrit from VI std till X. and i could talk in sandkrit...write long essays on everything... and its grammar is more or less same as English or Hindi. and each language has zillion words... but you only need a couple of thousand words to be fluent in any language.. sanskrit is a beautiful language..the most ancient full fledge language of this universe. so CC..you should avoid making comments on topics you have no knowledge about...

Re: Learning Hindi or English a must in Indian Schools? Who cares about sanskrit ? It's a language from another age, another time. Sure, learning it is fine (as schools in the USA or Europe teach Latin) but ultimately it's a language which isn't worth learning due to it's lack of real-life applicability.

Who cares about sanskrit ? It's a language from another age' date=' another time. Sure, learning it is fine (as schools in the USA or Europe teach Latin) but ultimately it's a language which isn't worth learning due to it's lack of real-life applicability.[/quote'] to be honest i have always found sanskrit a lot easier to understand... the grammar is quite well defined and the vocabullary is not too alien if you have a working knowledge of hindi. besides i think its cool that we are still able to learn a language that was (or well its more complex grammatical version) used over 2000 years ago at the very least.

All those 70% also have their own native language to learn.
Where did you get this 70 % percentage from ? On the contrary I would think 70% would know Hindi. We have the entire northern belt that speak Hindi including the two most populous states of India(UP and Bihar). At least 30 to 40 % population have Hindi as their mother tongue . And another 20 to 30 % working knowledge.
India has no single "National Language". There are two "Official Languages", Hindi and English. Keep hearing this bit about 'Hindi the national language' all the time; sorry, you are wrong. Kindly read that lovely document, the Indian Constitution. Even the Nehruvian Stalinists couldn't get Hindi to be declared the National Language, so let's not all repeat a falsehood that obviously is widely believed.

Guest dada_rocks

If Hindi dominates in all the states then the regional language will disappear which happenned in Punjab ? Gurmukhi. On the other hand' date=' if you learn English, our regional languages and culture will thrive. In any case English is the language of the world.[/quote'] unadulterated BS.. punjabi langauge is well and thriving