Did Ram exist?

Gambit

Re: Did Ram exist? This is where an IIH would be so useful... Of course...some silly claims like Ramayan is 1.75 MILLION years old can be dissmissed... What people seem to have overlooked though is that the last ICE AGE was not that long ago...probably 10-20K years ago... and during that time the polar ice caps expanded and sea levels dropped... It is conceivable that the sea level dropped sufficiently to allow the natural string of sand bars under water to become islands in a chain that joined the Indian main land with Sri Lanka... Think of the Alaska land bridge that has been cited as the way Early humans moved into North America from Asia.... So it is not entirely unbelievable that a bridge could have been built.... I would rather look for actual evidence of some sort of structure... or collection of rocks that indicate a non-natural event..i.e. human intervention... But either way I would have an open mind... Unlike the P-sec Historians or the Rightie Fundoos both...

Re: Did Ram exist? Birbal if someone can fund the findings excercise it ain't too hard to figure out. I suppose Indian govt can do it but considering the all tax payers from several religions may not like it they may not invest. I suppose some hindu organization with money power can fund a investigation project or something.

Re: Did Ram exist?

I think all mythologies have roots in reality. So yes' date=' i think that there was a historical figure who existed in reality on whom Ram/Laxman/Krishna were based on but i think as with all mythologies and stories, the 'charm, allure and powers' are greatly exgaggerated over time and through the course of history. So i don't believe that a real Ram or real Krishna did most of the things attributed to them[/quote'] I guess that pretty much holds the same for every religion. Say for instance Jesus, there is not even archeological evidence of his existance prior crucification. There is a theory he didn't even exist as "Son of god" as the Christians called him after the Bible was first written. Even Buddha never claimed he was god or has met god or has any relation to god. Some people simply didn't understand that, they made a religion out of him rather than just follow his teachings and perfect themselves. You can question, poke and do everything but you have to accept some humans are way better than most. Such ones assume more importance than people that merely exist. For every truth there is an exaggeration. Although we can't believe every bits and pieces, it is best to understand the underlying principles and the way they lead their lives. I believe in great humans but refuse to belive in man made religions.
We keep saying "son of god" , "form of god" but then Who made GOD? Maybe we are a generation of some aliens who left this galaxy coz they just got bored or found a better place

Re: Did Ram exist? before i get banned a second time, let me say this: its not about when, where or who existed. its not about the details. its not about the miracles. its about the example. Gods and demigods are quite possibly an artificial creation (but it is not a statement i will commit to) and it is the example that they set that we are required to follow. the allegorical story presented is where the emphasis ought to be. we create our own heros. we hindus have Lord Vishnu and his several magnanimous avatars, each an example of how a human ought to conduct himself in a particular situation. have a crisis of faith, refer to Lord Ram, and how he stood by the truth and obedience of his parents through thick and thin. have a crisis of belief, refer to arjun and Lord Krsna and how the former gained from surrendering to the later etc etc. for me divinity exists elsewhere. in gravitons (if we ever do find them) and the beauty of nuclear fusion. just to give you a perspective... you are all made of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen molecules (amino acids), and amongst these elements, carbon, oxygen and nitrogen were never present in the universe till a massive star's core collapsed on itself and fused helium atoms into carbon, carbon into oxygen, oxygen into silicon and silicon into iron. and the other trace substances such as lead, mercury where created in the fiery fires of the supernova, a massive explosion that outshines the entire galaxy for weeks... if you can accept that without any belief, then you are lying to yourself. we all believe in god, some just know him different.

Re: Did Ram exist?

This is where an IIH would be so useful... Of course...some silly claims like Ramayan is 1.75 MILLION years old can be dissmissed... What people seem to have overlooked though is that the last ICE AGE was not that long ago...probably 10-20K years ago... and during that time the polar ice caps expanded and sea levels dropped... It is conceivable that the sea level dropped sufficiently to allow the natural string of sand bars under water to become islands in a chain that joined the Indian main land with Sri Lanka... Think of the Alaska land bridge that has been cited as the way Early humans moved into North America from Asia.... So it is not entirely unbelievable that a bridge could have been built.... I would rather look for actual evidence of some sort of structure... or collection of rocks that indicate a non-natural event..i.e. human intervention... But either way I would have an open mind... Unlike the P-sec Historians or the Rightie Fundoos both...
I entirely agree with the above post, Birbal. I think that we know far less than we should about our history because of our wrong focus in archaeology. We continue to dig around everywhere BUT the continental-shelf. People don't realize that the ice age was just 10,000 years ago and sea levels were something like 20-30 metres less than what they are today. And early human civilization would most likely be close to the coast- not only is it good for trade, it provides source of food(fish). If we are to find the real 'dwarika', we better stop mucking around Dwarika town in Gujrat and perhaps look 10-15 miles into the sea in the general area.

Re: Did Ram exist? Again the shift to higher sea levels after the Ice age would have been gradual too... so no sense in saying that should only investigate 10-15 km off shore... Actually it would be fascinating to try and dive around and look for any artifacts both near shore and further out... If the pottery, etc. found near shore can also be shown to be newer than the pottery found the further one goes away from shore... that would be strong evidence that that habitation existed in the location for 1000s of years...B.C. and gradually moved to its current location... as the water levels rose...

Re: Did Ram exist? One of the GREAT mysteries of the ancient world is the script on the seals and other aftifacts at Mohejo Daro... If they could be deciphered they may shed some very penetrative light on the whole Arayan invasion theory... If nothing, they would shed light on a brilliant civilization that had sanitation and water engineering that was WAAY ahead of anything seen in India...for at least another couple of thousand years...

Re: Did Ram exist? The thing with our history with regard to mythology is that it's not as well documented as the Egyptian or the Chinese history. Brahmins/Scholars back in the day were supposed to memorise everything that had happened and knowledge was passed by the teacher to the disciple orally. So basically, if you could memorise everthing and could reel it out from memory, you were worthy of being a brahmin. There wasn't much emphasis on writing/documenting events.

Re: Did Ram exist? As Krishnamurthi said, God didn't create men in his image, men created God in their image. So, things like son of god shouldn't be taken too literally, just like son of a bi.tch doesn't really mean he's a dog, rather his qualities/behavior/attitudes are not good enough. Agree with Birbal bhai, and for me it's not a big deal even if this whole thing is a myth, the important things are the teachings of ramayana.