Why can’t a nation of a billion-plus play football?

b555

there is no rule that since we are the 2nd largest nation, we should be playing more sports and should be in top 3 of all these sports. It depends on the structure we have for athletes , salaries , coaching facilities, overall economics , selection process etc An average Indian can not afford to play sport professionally as the chances of making are pretty slim and if he/she fails to make it then his/her life is pretty much ruined.

there is no rule that since we are the 2nd largest nation, we should be playing more sports and should be in top 3 of all these sports. It depends on the structure we have for athletes , salaries , coaching facilities, overall economics , selection process etc An average Indian can not afford to play sport professionally as the chances of making are pretty slim and if he/she fails to make it then his/her life is pretty much ruined.
Yes and also the fact that there isn't much support from the government's side so nobody can afford to take the risk of his life to play any sport.There is absolutely no encouragement from anywhere but that should change now and equal emphasis must be given to each and every sport.

that's a lousy excuse..

my mom keeps saying, look at all the doctors in the u.s. they are almost all indian. and indian colleges a so tough u need 110% to get a seat. and this 11y old mathlete girls. etc.. we may be physically handycaped but we have the brains... yeah thats why india looks so well developed. its seriously a joke how terrible our athletes are. once bhupathi and paes retire, you can scratch tennis from the list too. we are not even good in cricket. i keep saying, if the americans had any interesst in cricket, theyd destroy us. before i die i want to see and indian team at the football world cup. i mean even north korea made it. poorer and more underdeveloped countries than india made it. football is the no1 sport on the globe. atleast we qualified for the asian cup. so it may be a step in the right direction (though in a group with australia, skorea and bahrain).

Its all about the infrastructure and organization. American's play like 12 different domestic sports watched all over the world and still made it to soccer, same for Australia. India meanwhile can't even keep its one major sport out of corruption news.

there more than the interest ' date=' its the amount of [b']geographical area of the countries and amount of population that matters so u cant really compare that way
By either measure, soccer crazy states of India are better off than these countries .. why the absolute lack of success in that case ?

. These players need exposure playing in tougher conditions i.e European Leagues and only then can they get better.
Our best player - Baichung Bhutia is a reject from English third division club after playing one season... What makes you think we can compete in Europe ?..our players are not physically imposing(Africans/Europeans) and neither are they quick on their feet (koreans/japs)..massive disadvantage!

Obviously, it is the media. Now when the biggest tournament in the world is happening, our india media is still having exclusive programs for Asia Cup instead of World Cup. This World Cup appears last of all the news. It does not mean Asia Cup is not important but at least the world cup deserves certain deal of publicity. Just like how our media acts when India won the boxing medals in olympics, there was a wide range of publicity, however it was only one time and now it is again cricket. No one mentions other sports news in our media. If it was possible, they should show the semis and finals for free in public venues to attract publicity for the game. Similarly, education, a child goes to school and there is a cricket ground and cricket coach but none for other sports. So how will we have talent in other sports?

Our best player - Baichung Bhutia is a reject from English third division club after playing one season... What makes you think we can compete in Europe ?..our players are not physically imposing(Africans/Europeans) and neither are they quick on their feet (koreans/japs)..massive disadvantage!
Such theories are often true in general, but the fact remains that there is plenty of variation in nature and all u need is a dozen such variations (individuals) to the natural physical skills that u insist r typically Indian. If the gr8 Khali can be one of the biggest ever in wwe (i know, thats not a sport) which is not expected of Indians in general, surely there must be plenty of physically imposing/quick on their feet individuals in our country. If there is infrastructure to attract them to the sport and provide them a career option, i'm sure things will be different.

my mom keeps saying' date=' look at all the doctors in the u.s. they are almost all indian. and indian colleges a so tough u need 110% to get a seat. and this 11y old mathlete girls. etc.. we may be physically handycaped but we have the brains...).[/quote'] Whats so great about becoming doctors? Or getting 110% in exams? I know doctors are improtant but there are hundreds of thousands of doctors in the world. And as for those toppers. How do they contribute to our economy any more than the ones who scored only 70% in the exams? Seriously I am sick of our obsession with toppers. There photos are splashed all over the newspapers as if its a great achievement. Scoring great marks in exams is a mean for a great carreer, not an achievement!