The Health and Fitness Thread

The Outsider

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread

Is there anybody under 6 feet tall on this forum? :lol:
5ft 10ins... I've gotten quite fat since last summer, but have started losing the weight now. I don't give a shyte about body-building, muscles etc, just want to try and flatten my stomach out a bit. Past week and a half, I've been eating just one meal a day (usually a sandwich) and drinking just water or Diet coke, and since yesterday, I've decided to go to the gym every week day except for Thursday (which is when I play football anyway). I spend 25 minutes on the treadmill, see the distance I ran, and try to beat that the next day. I may start running a mile or 2 on one designated weekend day. I'm worried because I have a holiday in 2 months, and I don't want to look flabby when shirtless... So far, I've lost a stone in a month. I was just under 14 stones a month ago, now I'm under 13 and heading slowly back to 12 (which is what I was in early 2006). When I was 21, I managed to weigh just 10.5 stones...

Is there anybody under 6 feet tall on this forum? :lol:
5ft 10ins... I've been eating just one meal a day (usually a sandwich) and drinking just water or Diet coke, and since yesterday, I've decided to go to the gym every week day except for Thursday (which is when I play football anyway). I spend 25 minutes on the treadmill, see the distance I ran, and try to beat that the next day. I may start running a mile or 2 on one designated weekend day. I'm worried because I have a holiday in 2 months, and I don't want to look flabby when shirtless... So far, I've lost a stone in a month. I was just under 14 stones a month ago, now I'm under 13 and heading slowly back to 12 (which is what I was in early 2006). When I was 21, I managed to weigh just 10.5 stones...
Holy crap. That's some job COBber. Ok u've inspired me. I'm the same height btw.

Past week and a half, I've been eating just one meal a day (usually a sandwich) and drinking just water or Diet coke, and since yesterday, I've decided to go to the gym every week day except for Thursday (which is when I play football anyway). I spend 25 minutes on the treadmill, see the distance I ran, and try to beat that the next day. I may start running a mile or 2 on one designated weekend day. I'm worried because I have a holiday in 2 months, and I don't want to look flabby when shirtless...
How the hell do you find the energy to run on a treadmill if you eat no more than a sandwich throughout the day ? That must leave you feeling sapped. Here's some advice free of charge - EAT FOOD. I could never run a mile on an empty stomach; i'd probably die mid-way.

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread I do all the running on the treadmill early morning on empty stomach too. The fitness trainer at the academy prescribes to this theory. When on empty stomach you are burning the fat not your carbo or proteins. When you have had fair bit to eat, you will burn the carbs and proteins first then get to the fat. This is one reason the group workout sessions are run first thing in the mornings.

BTW what's with you folks waxing your body' date=' where do you lads find so much time? I think you guys must be investing a lot of time on this :hic:[/quote'] No waxing for me.. Hell no

Past week and a half, I've been eating just one meal a day (usually a sandwich) and drinking just water or Diet coke, and since yesterday, I've decided to go to the gym every week day except for Thursday (which is when I play football anyway). I spend 25 minutes on the treadmill, see the distance I ran, and try to beat that the next day. I may start running a mile or 2 on one designated weekend day. I'm worried because I have a holiday in 2 months, and I don't want to look flabby when shirtless...
How the hell do you find the energy to run on a treadmill if you eat no more than a sandwich throughout the day ? That must leave you feeling sapped. Here's some advice free of charge - EAT FOOD. I could never run a mile on an empty stomach; i'd probably die mid-way.
It's a big sandwich, and yes I do feel knackered straight after, but I do nothing but sit on my ass at a computer all day, so that 25 minutes is a bit more bearable. I smashed my record today, but won't post it because it's probably still pathetic compared to most of yours. I feel a lot better already, I like to judge myself on how I feel after football on Thursdays though. I think I'm going to play a blinder tommorrow, and my thighs are starting to feel solid and firm (which sounds g.a.y, but feels like I'm doing something right!)...

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread piece of advise from someone how actually did lose weight... eat four meals a day and increase your protein intake. reduce fat calories (i.e. do not eat fried food) but dont completely eliminate your carbohydrates... take a vitamin supplement every day, and substitute snacks with a whey protein shake... as for exercising: if you wish to lose weight and your body fat percentage is greater than 24, then do this to increase your metabolism: run hard for as long as you can, then slow down to a walk to catch your breath and then repeat. do this three times a week for an hour a day. finally, small steps like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking instead of taking the bus or the car for short distances and drinking lots and lots of cold water (the colder the better) can add an additional 250 calories to the amount you burn otherwise in a day.

I do all the running on the treadmill early morning on empty stomach too. The fitness trainer at the academy prescribes to this theory. When on empty stomach you are burning the fat not your carbo or proteins. When you have had fair bit to eat' date=' you will burn the carbs and proteins first then get to the fat. This is one reason the group workout sessions are run first thing in the mornings.[/quote'] on the contrary, when your blood does not have enough sugar, it breaks down your muscle tissue to provide the sugar needed. this is the body's mechanism: it does not use the sugar from the diet to fuel its organs, it has a built in heirarchy which is also a safety mechanism: when your body needs energy, it breaks down your muscle tissue to provide that sugar. then when you eat, you replenish the lost muscle. hence, you must eat a lot of protein but at the same time, do not exercise on an empty stomach, it will reduce your muscle mass. i recommend eating a protein bar an hour before you exercise, and a protein shake after.

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread The fitness trainer at our local gym advises a carb bar before weight training and protein shake or bar post work out. I've seen this works for me the best.

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread Just to clear something for non veg folks out there. There are ONLY 3 types of vegetarians- 1) Lacto Ovo vegetarian - Eat eggs and dairy products 2) Lacto vegetarian- No eggs but yes to dairy products 3) Vegan- No dairy or eggs _______________________________________ All three types DO NOT eat meat, fish, sea food etc etc. Basically anything that results in killing of animals. Anything else = NON VEGETARIAN!!!!!!! I am really fed up of people calling themselves vegetarian but eat meat/fish/chicken once a month or some cr2p like that... ...that my friend is a non-vegetarian :doh: In my case the bottom line is that I just don't feel like chewing some other animals flesh. I find the concept very selfish and as a result I have COMPLETELY gone off the sight of FLESH! :chin: You can say that vegetarian people are bit more evolved than non-veg folks :hic: :wtg: :lmao:

The fitness trainer at our local gym advises a carb bar before weight training and protein shake or bar post work out. I've seen this works for me the best.
thats perfect... unless you are aiming for a low carb low fat diet... eitherways, do not workout on an empty stomach!

I am really fed up of people calling themselves vegetarian but eat meat/fish/chicken once a month or some cr2p like that... ...that my friend is a non-vegetarian :doh:
no my friend... that person is just confused and self delusional!

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread I have been going to gym since I was about 16. That's about 16 years of gym work. There is something I've learned from my experience, "what works for one doesn't for the other". There are no hard and fast rules for gym work. There certainly needs to be a decent diet but it doesn't have to be protein laden and life can't be turned into an eating machine. Keeping fit is good but living only to eat and gym is very bad in my opinion. To be fit you don't need huge bulk. Particularly for playing cricket the aim is to keep light. More bulk you have, more the injuries you will encounter simply because you will have to carry big weight on little joints in the body. Lean body muscles help in better flexibility and endurance. I liked someone like Azhar or say Chris Harris over Shoaib Akthar or Shane Watson. They were all fitness freaks but till date Chris Harris is as agile as he was when 19 year old. I think the likes of Harris or Azhar had very little time off due to injuries. I for one like a quick 40 minute gym session and eat 3-4 short meals a day. I don't really want to turn my life into gym and food completely. Sports is a great way to keep fit too, it provides for good competition, enjoyment and an outdoor activity is never a bad option. Gym work IMO should be kept to not more than say about 40 minutes a day and for about 3-5 times a week. I hate being in the gym pumping iron every day, it gets a bit too boring to do that on a consistency basis. Sports of course are way enjoyable alternative considering every day offers a different mix and also is not a solitary thing. If body building is taken up as a profession then that's a different thing. Life needs a good balance of sports, gym, rest and social life.