Should Rahul Dravid retire now???

It is shocking that people keep gunning for RD's head. Why the heck is there no thread asking for Sachin to retire? Are we supposed to continue overlooking his street-kid performances?
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: sarcasm? or memory buffer overflow? can you recall anything from 2007 era?
Huh? If anything this England tour has proved' date='he is still our best batsman:hatsoff:[/quote'] First of all, in my mind, he has always been the best Indian test bat, ever. I was talking in terms of his legacy and how he is perceived when other greats are compared. He averaged 59 at one point and then dropped to 53, that's a massive decline that too late in your career after having played 100+ tests. Yes, he has been superb this series (barring one massive failed test), but it doesn't take away from the fact that he doesn't get mentioned along with guys like Sachin, Ponting and Lara, simply because of this decline. One of the problems with Indian cricket is that great players don't go out on top. Kapil set that bad example by playing till you struggle late in your career. Kumble is one guy who had the common sense to leave even when he had something to offer. As long as fans like you keep clamoring to see the same face for 20 years, I expect that trend to continue, so no worries.
First of all, in my mind, he has always been the best Indian test bat, ever. I was talking in terms of his legacy and how he is perceived when other greats are compared. He averaged 59 at one point and then dropped to 53, that's a massive decline that too late in your career after having played 100+ tests. Yes, he has been superb this series (barring one massive failed test), but it doesn't take away from the fact that he doesn't get mentioned along with guys like Sachin, Ponting and Lara, simply because of this decline. One of the problems with Indian cricket is that great players don't go out on top. Kapil set that bad example by playing till you struggle late in your career. Kumble is one guy who had the common sense to leave even when he had something to offer. As long as fans like you keep clamoring to see the same face for 20 years, I expect that trend to continue, so no worries.
In life, as in sport, there is always a superstar.... and then there is one who does all the work. Rahul falls in the 2nd category. No offence to Sachin or Lara or Ponting but these guys can never ever be in the same league as Rahul Dravid.
First of all, in my mind, he has always been the best Indian test bat, ever. I was talking in terms of his legacy and how he is perceived when other greats are compared. He averaged 59 at one point and then dropped to 53, that's a massive decline that too late in your career after having played 100+ tests. Yes, he has been superb this series (barring one massive failed test), but it doesn't take away from the fact that he doesn't get mentioned along with guys like Sachin, Ponting and Lara, simply because of this decline. One of the problems with Indian cricket is that great players don't go out on top. Kapil set that bad example by playing till you struggle late in your career. Kumble is one guy who had the common sense to leave even when he had something to offer. As long as fans like you keep clamoring to see the same face for 20 years, I expect that trend to continue, so no worries.
WTF are you on mate Every player goes through some tough times and Dravid has also gone through this phase. If he has passion left in him which he has proved it now, why would he retire? As far as retiring at the top, he is still at the top and he'll retire at the top. If you dont like his face, dont watch the game, thats not a good reason for advocating his retirement... Millions of us still want him..
First of all' date=' in my mind, he has always been the best Indian test bat, ever. I was talking in terms of his legacy and how he is perceived when other greats are compared. He averaged [b']59 at one point and then dropped to 53, that's a massive decline that too late in your career after having played 100+ tests. Yes, he has been superb this series (barring one massive failed test), but it doesn't take away from the fact that he doesn't get mentioned along with guys like Sachin, Ponting and Lara, simply because of this decline. One of the problems with Indian cricket is that great players don't go out on top. Kapil set that bad example by playing till you struggle late in your career. Kumble is one guy who had the common sense to leave even when he had something to offer. As long as fans like you keep clamoring to see the same face for 20 years, I expect that trend to continue, so no worries.
wtf!!ponting's average has decreased from 60 to 52 dravids avg decreased from 59 to 53...but somehow according to your logic Pontings legacy has gone up and dravids legacy as gone down:giggle:
Guest Gunner
You've been royally pwned ' date=' what are you still doing here gunner?:cantstop:[/quote'] How exactly have I been pwned when I am still saying Dravid should retire? My original case was that most of our star batsman quite old and should make retire. I am still saying the same thing. Hell I even opened a thread asking for the test team to rebuilt. So as far as I am concerned neither have I said anything silly on this thread (if you have read my posts) nor do I need to back away from my statement.
wtf!!ponting's average has decreased from 60 to 52 dravids avg decreased from 59 to 53...but somehow according to your logic Pontings legacy has gone up and dravids legacy as gone down:giggle:
Frankly, I don't care about Ponting's legacy as much as I am about Dravid.
Guest Gunner
No. he is correct in his over all statement, I don't believe that ponting should stick around any longer either. The best of Ponting is over.
WTF are you on mate Every player goes through some tough times and Dravid has also gone through this phase. If he has passion left in him which he has proved it now' date=' why would he retire? [/quote'] It is not a question of going through a bad patch in the middle of your career. When you have played for more than a decade, and have done well, you need to find a good time to get out, cause the inevitable decline is just around the corner. Well I follow the team, unlike some of you guys who watch for the sake of one or two players. The reason for advocating not just his, any players retirement when on top is so that he can leave on a good note and it leaves us with good memories instead of these struggles.

Clutching the straws after getting pwned :hysterical::hysterical:

Mehhhhh...because he bashed a minnow attack on a flat track at a SR of 35??
Can y'all name how many players since 1970 have had green years after the age of 38? Don't go into the fitness malarky thin reflexes.
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?agemin1=38;ageval1=age;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmin1=15;qualval1=matches;spanmax1=31+Dec+2010;spanmin1=01+Jan+1970;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting I added one more rider (min of 15 matches after 38) now you can see the list. Clive Lloyd alone has had a really incredible run after that age. The next highest average is 41 and there are only about 5 batsmen on that list in 40 years. That is the reality and this is why Dravid must retire at the end of this season after SA.
You made this claim, now check this http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?agemin1=38;ageval1=age;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=runs;spanmax2=31+Dec+2011;spanmin2=01+Jan+1970;spanval2=span;template=results;type=batting