Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

I have been busting my butt so hard in the gym for the last 6 weeks that i have literally torn myself a new hole. If this doesnt produce results' date=' effin I have promised to go back to my merry ways of the past. :bandit:[/quote'] nice man...what are your goals for this summer and how close are you to achieving them?

nice man...what are your goals for this summer and how close are you to achieving them?
No specific, number goals this time. I had already reached my target weight of 160 lbs last summer, down from the 183 lbs that I was, in March 2008. And I was quite successful in maintaining it too (the worst I wavered to was 164 lbs, during one of my India trips) But, it looks like I pushed myself too hard on the treadmill last year, because I ended up losing a lot of muscle too. So, even though I managed to slim down, I still had a very ‘flabby’ feeling, especially around the abdomen area. So, this time, the focus has been on losing fat and gaining muscle and not just a plain ‘lose weight’ goal. So, I have switched from the high-intensity cardio that I used to do before (6 – 6.5 mph on the treadmill, for 20-25 mins) to low-intensity fat burner routine (brisk walking at 4 mph, elliptical) and doing some lots of basic weights too, to strengthen different muscles. I have changed my diet drastically too, to suit this new regimen. The hope is, by year end, I manage to lose 15 lbs of fat and replace it with 10 lbs of muscle. Losing the 15 lbs of fat in 5 months isnt a big problem for me, but gaining that 10 lbs of muscle with my vegetarian diet will be a massive challenge.

No specific, number goals this time. I had already reached my target weight of 160 lbs last summer, down from the 183 lbs that I was, in March 2008. And I was quite successful in maintaining it too (the worst I wavered to was 164 lbs, during one of my India trips) But, it looks like I pushed myself too hard on the treadmill last year, because I ended up losing a lot of muscle too. So, even though I managed to slim down, I still had a very ‘flabby’ feeling, especially around the abdomen area. So, this time, the focus has been on losing fat and gaining muscle and not just a plain ‘lose weight’ goal. So, I have switched from the high-intensity cardio that I used to do before (6 – 6.5 mph on the treadmill, for 20-25 mins) to low-intensity fat burner routine (brisk walking at 4 mph, elliptical) and doing some lots of basic weights too, to strengthen different muscles. I have changed my diet drastically too, to suit this new regimen. The hope is, by year end, I manage to lose 15 lbs of fat and replace it with 10 lbs of muscle. Losing the 15 lbs of fat in 5 months isnt a big problem for me, but gaining that 10 lbs of muscle with my vegetarian diet will be a massive challenge.
great work! How tall are you? Were you overweight before or just felt flabby? Another question for you....you mentioned earlier that you played lots of basketball. For me, I never go to the gym to workout...because I get really bored. If you ask me to run a mile I won't do it but I'll play basketball with you all day, or cricket. So my question is...do you feel that you benefited more from getting into the gym and actually doing cardio, or do you think it's better to play, or combo of both? And just cuz your vegetarian doesn't mean you can't pack on muscle! Beans, legumes, daal..all are good sourced of protein, just like Soy and Tofu products. Best of luck bro I'm sure you'll reach your goal with your determination.

great work! How tall are you? Were you overweight before or just felt flabby?
I am 5'9, currently at 163-164 lbs. As I had mentioned before, I was overweight earlier(183 lbs, as on March 08), but managed to lose around 20 lbs in 6 months last year. But it turns out that I did it wrong and lost a lot of muscle also. I am trying to correct that this time around and focus on low-intensity, fat-burner routines that don’t eat at my muscles. Because its low-intensity, it takes longer to burn the same amount of calories I used to, but hey, you cant have the cake and eat it too right? :D.
Another question for you....you mentioned earlier that you played lots of basketball. For me, I never go to the gym to workout...because I get really bored. If you ask me to run a mile I won't do it but I'll play basketball with you all day, or cricket. So my question is...do you feel that you benefited more from getting into the gym and actually doing cardio, or do you think it's better to play, or combo of both?
I know it can get quite dull to just go and workout everytime and its pretty exciting to go and play the sport, but the thing is, the former is much better for ‘accounting’ purposes. If I am on the mill running/jogging/brisk-walking, I know exactly how much calories I am burning and this helps me plan my workout well in advance. Whenever I go to the gym, I have specific targets of what I want to do in that session. If I were to just run around playing basketball, I would never know how much effort I am expending. But, this focused cardio routine helps me measure my progress against the goals, so I can tweak it to tailor my needs if required. In that sense, focused cardio sessions are really beneficial. But on weekends, when we go to the gym, we don’t do any workout. We just play (typically either Basketball or swim..). That way, we have the best of both worlds.
And just cuz your vegetarian doesn't mean you can't pack on muscle! Beans, legumes, daal..all are good sourced of protein, just like Soy and Tofu products. Best of luck bro I'm sure you'll reach your goal with your determination.
I do eat daal, though not often as I used to. I also make sure I add lots of beans (either chick peas or kidney beans) in my meals, but the majority of my protein right now comes from protein shakes.

I am 5'9, currently at 163-164 lbs. As I had mentioned before, I was overweight earlier(183 lbs, as on March 08), but managed to lose around 20 lbs in 6 months last year. But it turns out that I did it wrong and lost a lot of muscle also. I am trying to correct that this time around and focus on low-intensity, fat-burner routines that don’t eat at my muscles. Because its low-intensity, it takes longer to burn the same amount of calories I used to, but hey, you cant have the cake and eat it too right? :D. I know it can get quite dull to just go and workout everytime and its pretty exciting to go and play the sport, but the thing is, the former is much better for ‘accounting’ purposes. If I am on the mill running/jogging/brisk-walking, I know exactly how much calories I am burning and this helps me plan my workout well in advance. Whenever I go to the gym, I have specific targets of what I want to do in that session. If I were to just run around playing basketball, I would never know how much effort I am expending. But, this focused cardio routine helps me measure my progress against the goals, so I can tweak it to tailor my needs if required. In that sense, focused cardio sessions are really beneficial. But on weekends, when we go to the gym, we don’t do any workout. We just play (typically either Basketball or swim..). That way, we have the best of both worlds. I do eat daal, though not often as I used to. I also make sure I add lots of beans (either chick peas or kidney beans) in my meals, but the majority of my protein right now comes from protein shakes.
try doing this outdoors ur body has to work so much harder when u run outside ok fair enough u cant account for what u have burnt but i lost alot of weight (and because i quit resistence training for 6 weeks) i lost alot of muscle tone too! :((

what about you CricketGirl' date=' do you manage to work out inspite of having a family at home?[/quote'] i have a full time job an 8 rs old boy a household to run and yes i still get to the gym 3 tmes a week and run atleast twice! trust me it takes alot of organising but the thing is when i dont work out i feel even more tired!! for me its more of a health regime rather than something i do for vanity!! plus i involve my family, when i run my son takes his bike out and we go together, when my sons at his activities my hubby and i both hit the gym together

try doing this outdoors ur body has to work so much harder when u run outside ok fair enoughu cant account for what u have burnt but i lost alot of weight (and because i quit resistence training for 6 weeks) i lost alot of muscle tone too! :((
Oh no, I actually enjoy running indoors (mostly due to the air-con) so I really don’t have to try the outdoors route.
i have a full time job an 8 rs old boy a household to run and yes i still get to the gym 3 tmes a week and run atleast twice! trust me it takes alot of organising but the thing is when i dont work out i feel even more tired!! for me its more of a health regime rather than something i do for vanity!! plus i involve my family' date=' when i run my son takes his bike out and we go together, when my sons at his activities my hubby and i both hit the gym together[/quote'] That sounds great, good on ya people! :two_thumbs_up:

Oh no, I actually enjoy running indoors (mostly due to the air-con) so I really don’t have to try the outdoors route. That sounds great, good on ya people! :two_thumbs_up:
forgive for not just assuming u live in india but i take it u live in the hotter part of the world then?? out doors great u get the fresh air a different terrain ur body has to work harder because the ground is never going to be as consistent as a treadmill neither do u get the same suspension!! i'm aiming to do a 10 k run for charity next yr! did 5 k this year which was pants easy to do!! at the moment i get tired at around 7k so i need to build up to 10k

forgive for not just assuming u live in india but i take it u live in the hotter part of the world then?? out doors great u get the fresh air a different terrain ur body has to work harder because the ground is never going to be as consistent as a treadmill neither do u get the same suspension!! i'm aiming to do a 10 k run for charity next yr! did 5 k this year which was pants easy to do!! at the moment i get tired at around 7k so i need to build up to 10k
Well, I don’t live in India, but I do live in a relatively warm place (Florida) :D Talking of medium distance runs, I nearly registered for the San Francisco half-marathon this year, but backed out realizing how there’s a big difference between running on the treadmill and on open terrain outdoor, like you mentioned. I am hoping that before I leave the US, I can compete in one of those.

Well, I don’t live in India, but I do live in a relatively warm place (Florida) :D Talking of medium distance runs, I nearly registered for the San Francisco half-marathon this year, but backed out realizing how there’s a big difference between running on the treadmill and on open terrain outdoor, like you mentioned. I am hoping that before I leave the US, I can compete in one of those.
u shud try it atleast once plus if u do it fir a charity then u have more reason to feel motivated this yr i did it for cancer research which is a really popular once in UK next i'm doing 10k i havent chosen my charity yet but it will be in support of the blind

Running outdoors can be fatal for your knees. Not recommended.
wimp! :hehe: no seriously khota jee isnt entirely wrong!! but you can prevent knee injuries by doing lots of resistence workouts to increase bone density and most importantly get ur self some good trainers (or snickers or whatever u guys in the states call them)

you were running long distance for love of it? loss of curves since you've lost weight or before?
:giggle: 5k isnt long distance thats 25 mins max!! but yeah loss of muscle tone was probably the more appropriate thing to say i think the change of routine meant i lost weight at the same time