Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

Hello gents. I have been working a reasonable amount on cardio in the past months' date=' and made a point of generally eating well. What are the best exercises/workouts for the abs? I know of a few but wondered what the best way of putting together a daily (or whatever time is suggested) workout is. Thanks.[/quote'] what is your goal? build abs muscle, or lose abdominal fat?

23 pgs brah :(( just asking
OK.Do you want strong abs? or shaped abs (6 pack) ? or both? Your abs are made up of 4 muscle groups.Exercise each group. 1) Upper abs - crunch 2) lower abs- corkscrew 3) obliques - jack knife 4) Traverse Abdominis - Plank youtube any of the groups to get the related workouts.You will develop a stronger core. But, You wont get a 6 pack by just doing these exercises.You need to watch your diet very very well and combine cardio,aerobics,functional exercises for that.

Thank you guys. Since last summer I have been doing cardio fairly regularly and so my stomach fat has reduced, though there is still flab there lol. Six pack is a long way off, I would just like it firmer/stronger and progress gradually. I focused on cardio up until now as I understood that any specific ab exercises won't do anything if there's fat there. But I would like to incorporate it alongside my crosstraining now. thank you yoda. How often would one do a workout like that, incorporating all the muscle groups?

Thank you guys. Since last summer I have been doing cardio fairly regularly and so my stomach fat has reduced, though there is still flab there lol. Six pack is a long way off, I would just like it firmer/stronger and progress gradually. I focused on cardio up until now as I understood that any specific ab exercises won't do anything if there's fat there. But I would like to incorporate it alongside my crosstraining now. thank you yoda. How often would one do a workout like that, incorporating all the muscle groups?
Once or twice a week for 15 mins is more than enough.You need to cut down on cardio and do resistance training (weights).You abs are there,its just that they are hidden beneath those layers of fat.So you need to get your body fat down.Cardio will help you for stamina but for long term weight control as well as body fat reduction,lift the iron. 30 mins of weight training thrice a week is good enough.

OK.Do you want strong abs? or shaped abs (6 pack) ? or both? Your abs are made up of 4 muscle groups.Exercise each group. 1) Upper abs - crunch 2) lower abs- corkscrew 3) obliques - jack knife 4) Traverse Abdominis - Plank youtube any of the groups to get the related workouts.You will develop a stronger core. But, You wont get a 6 pack by just doing these exercises.You need to watch your diet very very well and combine cardio,aerobics,functional exercises for that.
Great informative post Yoda even for regulars like us :)

Anyone here ever get a six pack or close and then decided they preferred a higher body fat %?
Yes. Six packs got my legs weak. If you want strong legs it starts with hips and glutes. When I had six pack my legs where pencil thin. It made me stop doing legs altogether. Might be different for others though.

Yes. Six packs got my legs weak. If you want strong legs it starts with hips and glutes. When I had six pack my legs where pencil thin. It made me stop doing legs altogether. Might be different for others though.
I felt a million dollars, especially sprinting and body weight routines e.g. pull/chin ups. However, i ended up looking a little gaunt. Maybe it's an age thing. Also every girl I've ever been with preferred a little extra padding! Getting big AND ripped takes years and years!

^^ You're well on your way towards Lactose intolerance. Adult humans don't have the enzymes to digest milk in large quantities. Better you start substituting it with something else.
That's why I was asking, any suggestions for veg foods? Other than one's above. There is a chance of lactose intolorence but I don't think it's a guarantee like you put it. There arer many people who are on GOMAD, gallon a day of milk. But don't want to risk it.

That's why I was asking' date=' any suggestions for veg foods? Other than one's above.[/quote'] Soy-milk is widely used substitute for regular milk, its easy on the stomach . You could combine that with one of the GNC weight-gain powders ( don't know if GNC is available where you live ) Eat lots of peanuts,cashews..etc , raisins if you can get your hands on them. It is a bit of a rocky road when you can't consume meat.

^ Can't figure out from your diet, how much milk you actually are consuming. I think even 2 litres is fine. As for large quantities of milk leading to Lactose intolerance, is same like saying too much sugar would lead to diabetes. (unless someone proves me wrong by some scientific study) So, IMO, as long as you don't start showing signs of intolerance, have as much milk as you like. For substitutes.. it depends what you want to cover - protein or carbs.. for protein you should be able to fulfill your protein requirement from regular milk products + eggs ( if you can) + protein powder + soybeans + greek yoghurt... Some people don't like soybean for presence of phytoestrogens.. but I have not yet found any study on how it significantly affects body T levels. For carbs - simple stuff..Potato, Oats, yams, even bread/roti/lentils.. can/should make bulk of the diet. For been-there-done-that kind of veg bulking diet, wait for Lurker, and even better - post on bodybuilding.com, that you set out advertising here ;). Lots of Veg, and even vegan diet threads there.

Soy-milk is widely used substitute for regular milk' date=' its easy on the stomach . You could combine that with one of the [b']GNC weight-gain powders ( don't know if GNC is available where you live ) Eat lots of peanuts,cashews..etc , raisins if you can get your hands on them. It is a bit of a rocky road when you can't consume meat.
I strongly advise against commercial weight gain powders.. they charge extra for carbs!!! which you can easily get from regular food.. more than you ever need. Like I said - first see whether you need extra protein or extra carbs (record every gram of your diet, and calculate). Beyond certain amount extra protein will just be waste, and you might end up wasting money on supplements you wont actually need.

^ Can't figure out from your diet, how much milk you actually are consuming. I think even 2 litres is fine. As for large quantities of milk leading to Lactose intolerance, is same like saying too much sugar would lead to diabetes. (unless someone proves me wrong by some scientific study) So, IMO, as long as you don't start showing signs of intolerance, have as much milk as you like. For substitutes.. it depends what you want to cover - protein or carbs.. for protein you should be able to fulfill your protein requirement from regular milk products + eggs ( if you can) + protein powder + soybeans + greek yoghurt... Some people don't like soybean for presence of phytoestrogens.. but I have not yet found any study on how it significantly affects body T levels. For carbs - simple stuff..Potato, Oats, yams, even bread/roti/lentils.. can/should make bulk of the diet. For been-there-done-that kind of veg bulking diet, wait for Lurker, and even better - post on bodybuilding.com, that you set out advertising here ;). Lots of Veg, and even vegan diet threads there.
not true at all that is why I asked on an Indian forum. But you will learn alot on that site. My protein is around 200g (too much I know) carbs I forgot (but obviously majority proportion by far), fat was a little much as well (still minority proportion). The total after multiplying grams with calories was about 3800 (1 gram fat =9cal, carb and protein= 4cal) and I steadily gain weight around here. So far so good. Milk has all 3 (fat, carbs, protein) so I need something good, probably multiple things to maintain this rate of weight gain with about 2L of milk max. Im informing people of a really helpful site what is wrong with that? The purpose of this thread is to help others and take advice on your own questions isn't it?

not true at all that is why I asked on an Indian forum. But you will learn alot on that site. My protein is around 200g (too much I know) carbs I forgot (but obviously majority proportion by far), fat was a little much as well (still minority proportion). The total after multiplying grams with calories was about 3800 (1 gram fat =9cal, carb and protein= 4cal) and I steadily gain weight around here. So far so good. Milk has all 3 (fat, carbs, protein) so I need something good, probably multiple things to maintain this rate of weight gain with about 2L of milk max. Im informing people of a really helpful site what is wrong with that? The purpose of this thread is to help others and take advice on your own questions isn't it?
Nothing wrong with it... just that, it is a bit naive to think that anyone into serious exercising (and access to internet) hasn't visited that site yet :-P , esp the 'expert' posters on this thread....I have myself spent many years on bb.com and many more sites and books with execution and results to go with in the gym.. as for your diet.. I hope you have done your protein requirement analysis..dont know your vital stats and goals,, but 200-250 gm looks more than enough for 'average' person with moderate bodybuilding needs.. other calories should be coming from complex carbs... best is if you can keep count of every gram... If that is not feasible, then normal thumb rule is fine - as long as you are gaining weight, it should be fine.. and when it stagnates increase the overall calories by 5% or so. The only problem with second approach is, it is a bit slow and you might lose interest before you reach target, or won't get what you could have within same time frame...and you never know when you might be forced to quit for something beyond your control, so make most of the time by being as much strict as you can. Also, 2L 'limit' for milk was some random figure.. better indicator is - as long as you don't get symptoms intolerance - any amount should be fine.. besides you can always have lactose free milk, and curd/yoghurt.