Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

With the workout regimen you have , I see no reason for you not to look ripped. The only reason could be your heavy dinner.You need to have a light dinner preferably before 8 pm and make it protein based..prefereably chicken or fish.No rice! Also Ditch the Chocolate milk (have fat free milk) NBalla posted a paleo diet.That would be best for you if you want to look a little ripped but not bulky. Hope that helps.
thanks...i understand what u say..i tried to get rid of carbs and alll..and it did help reducing flab around the midsection but at the same time it used to leave me tired during workouts..affecting the weights...like i used to lift less or get very tired... does it make sense to introduce some cardio and go low on carbs on non workout days and have normals carbs on workout days.

i have a question for u all experts there...i have been going to gym for last 1.5 yrs... i am short (5ft6) and used to weigh 118 lbs and then went to 145 lbs just fat in belly and all. started cardio and then started the stronglifts program...had setbacks like a broken finger and all but long story short- i am now 140-145 lbs. i dont use any supplements. i have developed a lean physique but its far from perfect. here are a few of my problems and i ud appreciate some inputs- 1. i dont look ripped when i am covered up in clothes. it has to do with my height and the fact that i dont want to get stocky. 2. diet- i have cereals with whole milk, banana for breakfast 2/3-whole whear roti, chicken, fruits for lunch chocolate milk, nuts-pre workout chocolate milk, heavy dinner with pasta and chicken for breakfast. 3. i want to reduce fat around my midsection. i dont have tummy and all but its still soft. my abs are pretty strong- can do hanging leg raises, hold a bridge with one leg up for 2 mins. but the love handles specifically are an eyesore. 4. i used to do the stronglifts program with 3 days squats ..went upto 210 lbs for my 140 lb frame. but i dont do squats now. my present routine is monday- military press, 50 pull ups, shrugs, side dumbell raise, biceps, abs wednesday- clap pushups, benchpress (1x bw), dumbell rows, dips, dumbell flyes, triceps friday-deadlifts (175 lbs now..can increase more...just lil cautious abt back rounding and all), lunges, t bar row, arnold press, wide angle pull ups, forearms i realize i have no cardio but i plan to play some sports once summer sets in
This. Add 2-3 intense cardio sessions per week. Its practically impossible/inefficient/un-healthy to lose that belly fat w/o cardio. Also, simultaneously fine tune your diet for more efficient results. Also, as for looking ripped with clothes on, you will need to put on huge amount of bulk and wear gayish tight fits. Don't worry about whether you look ripped in clothes or not. Looking fit/ripped in swimwear is good enough to make your friends envious. In fact it surprises them even more, when you look just another guy with clothes on, and Bruce-Lee in swimming pool.

i have a question for u all experts there...i have been going to gym for last 1.5 yrs... i am short (5ft6) and used to weigh 118 lbs and then went to 145 lbs just fat in belly and all. started cardio and then started the stronglifts program...had setbacks like a broken finger and all but long story short- i am now 140-145 lbs. i dont use any supplements. i have developed a lean physique but its far from perfect. here are a few of my problems and i ud appreciate some inputs- 1. i dont look ripped when i am covered up in clothes. it has to do with my height and the fact that i dont want to get stocky. 2. diet- i have cereals with whole milk, banana for breakfast 2/3-whole whear roti, chicken, fruits for lunch chocolate milk, nuts-pre workout chocolate milk, heavy dinner with pasta and chicken for breakfast. 3. i want to reduce fat around my midsection. i dont have tummy and all but its still soft. my abs are pretty strong- can do hanging leg raises, hold a bridge with one leg up for 2 mins. but the love handles specifically are an eyesore. 4. i used to do the stronglifts program with 3 days squats ..went upto 210 lbs for my 140 lb frame. but i dont do squats now. my present routine is monday- military press, 50 pull ups, shrugs, side dumbell raise, biceps, abs wednesday- clap pushups, benchpress (1x bw), dumbell rows, dips, dumbell flyes, triceps friday-deadlifts (175 lbs now..can increase more...just lil cautious abt back rounding and all), lunges, t bar row, arnold press, wide angle pull ups, forearms i realize i have no cardio but i plan to play some sports once summer sets in
Clap pushups are the dumbest thing every u can do in a gym.. if u don't land properly u can injure ur wrist seriously ... TBH i have even seen few dumb coaches training how to do clap pushups...

Clap pushups are the dumbest thing every u can do in a gym.. if u don't land properly u can injure ur wrist seriously ... TBH i have even seen few dumb coaches training how to do clap pushups...
++ That is where people need to get their priorities right, its not gymnastics/circus that they are training for. Such (and few other) manoeuvers that 'coaches/trainers' teach you in the name of difficulty, are nothing but just show off - in the context of body building.

A few thoughts: a) First up your height is not the problem. With your height you have to be careful on extra pounds, unlike tall guys it will start showing up pretty quick. However you will also be able to fill your body quick and get to where you want it. You wouldnt have to develop 50 inch chest to look huge, even if you are in the 38-40 range you would look great. So its all in ur hands really. b) To get ripped you have to do cardio. Ripped-ness has more to do with cardio and diet than lifting weights. You dont need to run to get your cardio in, although it helps. Get a jump rope for 5 bucks and start cracking everyday for 10-15 minutes...you will immediately feel your abs jiggling and working. c) Your workout routine seems to be all over the place. Lets take your split for Wednesday clap pushups, benchpress (1x bw), dumbell rows, dips, dumbell flyes, triceps You are doing different bodyparts here, chest, back and triceps. And in some cases doing 1 rep max. Not sure if you have a bit of plan here. If you want to do full body workout you need to incorporate legs and shoulders in there. Also 1 rep max wont do anything, go for atleast 6-8, or 10-12. d) Nutrition wise heavy dinner can be a problem as Yoda pointed out. Specially with starchy carbs like pasta. Not sure if you have a way out though, looks like you do workout later in the day and you would need good carbs right after to grow.

A few thoughts: a) First up your height is not the problem. With your height you have to be careful on extra pounds, unlike tall guys it will start showing up pretty quick. However you will also be able to fill your body quick and get to where you want it. You wouldnt have to develop 50 inch chest to look huge, even if you are in the 38-40 range you would look great. So its all in ur hands really. b) To get ripped you have to do cardio. Ripped-ness has more to do with cardio and diet than lifting weights. You dont need to run to get your cardio in, although it helps. Get a jump rope for 5 bucks and start cracking everyday for 10-15 minutes...you will immediately feel your abs jiggling and working. c) Your workout routine seems to be all over the place. Lets take your split for Wednesday clap pushups, benchpress (1x bw), dumbell rows, dips, dumbell flyes, triceps You are doing different bodyparts here, chest, back and triceps. And in some cases doing 1 rep max. Not sure if you have a bit of plan here. If you want to do full body workout you need to incorporate legs and shoulders in there. Also 1 rep max wont do anything, go for atleast 6-8, or 10-12. d) Nutrition wise heavy dinner can be a problem as Yoda pointed out. Specially with starchy carbs like pasta. Not sure if you have a way out though, looks like you do workout later in the day and you would need good carbs right after to grow.
thanks for the inputs but let me clarify the points u raised... 1. i meant by height..that i dont want to get too bulked up. 2. ur right abt cardio ..i plan to play squash in few days time. 3. i do the 5*5 or 4*8 something like that...its not 1 rep max. i used to do squats thrice a week for last 1 yr... (i was at 210 lbs for 140 lb bw) and i have left it now to concentrate on upper body. i however do deadlift(sumo style) and lunges on friday. and the way i split it is - 1. vertical push/pull with accessory (plus biceps) 2. horizontal push/pull with accessory (plus triceps) 3. legs, core, lower back, and smaller muscles if any i work out back a lot bcos its a bigger muscle and somehow i have a bigger chest...so to compensate. i plan to go back to squats in few months time...but right now my legs are lil too big..

thanks for the inputs but let me clarify the points u raised... 1. i meant by height..that i dont want to get too bulked up. 2. ur right abt cardio ..i plan to play squash in few days time. 3. i do the 5*5 or 4*8 something like that...its not 1 rep max. i used to do squats thrice a week for last 1 yr... (i was at 210 lbs for 140 lb bw) and i have left it now to concentrate on upper body. i however do deadlift(sumo style) and lunges on friday. and the way i split it is - 1. vertical push/pull with accessory (plus biceps) 2. horizontal push/pull with accessory (plus triceps) 3. legs, core, lower back, and smaller muscles if any i work out back a lot bcos its a bigger muscle and somehow i have a bigger chest...so to compensate. i plan to go back to squats in few months time...but right now my legs are lil too big..
First up, people are different so what works for you may not work for me, and vice versa. Hence you should take people's advise with a grain of salt and figure out what works best for you. From what you state above, looks you like are doing the strongman lift, 5*5, for one and a half year. That is not what that plan is for. It is meant for a short stint, say 3-6 months, after which you are supposed to go back to normal 8-12 rep range. 5*5 makes you strong, doesnst work for getting you ripped. Also heavy weights will start hurting your tendons. Since you have already done some good lifts for your body weight, maybe its time to take a step back and change into something less heavy, more reps? Possibly even change to one body parts a day if you have time. And why are you doing/were doing squats 3 times a week? If you are working out right and pushing yourself squats once a week is plenty to kick your behind. Saturdays are my squat days, or Sundays, I dont even attempt it on weekdays and after most squat days my legs hurt like hell..in a good way. The great Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman used to work squats 2 times a week and people wondered how he did it. You are working it 3 times. Too much heavy lifting (5*5) combined with squats three times a week may also tax your body that it is secreting plenty of cortisol to combat, thus actually getting you fat. Not being a doomsday expert, just saying. I say go with one body part a day, keep reps between 8-12, workout 5 days a week, 30-45 minutes weights 15-30 minutes cardio, eat right, sleep well...and good luck..:winky:

++ That is where people need to get their priorities right, its not gymnastics/circus that they are training for. Such (and few other) manoeuvers that 'coaches/trainers' teach you in the name of difficulty, are nothing but just show off - in the context of body building.
some people might train for sports specific plyometeric moves or just strength training... i do agree purely from a body building objective, it is a worthless exercise but from explosive strength required in martial arts or wrestling, plyometric moves are very useful

some people might train for sports specific plyometeric moves or just strength training... i do agree purely from a body building objective, it is a worthless exercise but from explosive strength required in martial arts or wrestling, plyometric moves are very useful
+1, clap push-ups are useful for plyometric training programs for increasing muscular power. Useful for people training for sports where Power>Strength. And I also agree they are useless for bodybuilding.

Got 2 plates for squats earlier last week for first time : ) This Bangladeshi at the gym keeps sending me to the smith machine though :(( Everytime Im doing a squat or deadlift and I see him, I get lectured about how it could injure me and get sent to a machine which is not as effective. Cant just be rude and say no, hes much older than me.
now i understand y u pissed off wiv bangladeshis :hysterical:

Got 2 plates for squats earlier this week for first time : ) This Bangladeshi at the gym keeps sending me to the smith machine though :(( Everytime Im doing a squat or deadlift and I see him, I get lectured about how it could injure me and get sent to a machine which is not as effective. Cant just be rude and say no, hes much older than me.
smith machine is good for isolation exercise .... not when ur are exercising a major body part.One of major disadvantage is it only allows movement in a fixed plane of motion. This is one of the many disadvantages of SM. A squatting movement is rather complex and it locks into a very unnatural movement pattern which has the potential to stress inappropriate structures and tbh the knee gets stressed out the most... may be not immediate but in a longer run ur knee joints / ligament wud give away. New generation Smith Machines like the Jones Smith Machine are a bit better than the older versions. Earlier i used to try using SM's but i had issues of balance and stability. SM's are a big plus when u are training chest .. or triceps (close grip press) .. as well as military press.

smith machine is good for isolation exercise .... not when ur are exercising a major body part.One of major disadvantage is it only allows movement in a fixed plane of motion. This is one of the many disadvantages of SM. A squatting movement is rather complex and it locks into a very unnatural movement pattern which has the potential to stress inappropriate structures and tbh the knee gets stressed out the most... may be not immediate but in a longer run ur knee joints / ligament wud give away. New generation Smith Machines like the Jones Smith Machine are a bit better than the older versions. Earlier i used to try using SM's but i had issues of balance and stability. SM's are a big plus when u are training chest .. or triceps (close grip press) .. as well as military press.
But i've heard free weight was better than machines. Are you sure about this?

But i've heard free weight was better than machines. Are you sure about this?
Free weights are always preferable ... what i wanted to say is if u want to go for SM's then u should be using it for Isolation exercise... on my chest days i do bench press a conventional way rather than SM's.Only on my triceps days i do close presses using SM's as i feel i don't need to worry about balancing the weight and I can on presses.

Free weights are always preferable ... what i wanted to say is if u want to go for SM's then u should be using it for Isolation exercise... on my chest days i do bench press a conventional way rather than SM's.Only on my triceps days i do close presses using SM's as i feel i don't need to worry about balancing the weight and I can on presses.
Ok thanks, got it.

Since Diwali i have gained 6 kgs. All because I cant say no to Diwali Sweets,Christmas parties and endup eating like a pig till Holi.. Now I have just started the summer program.. Allready lost about 2 kgs... Unlike last year, I need a beach body before i hit the beach :aha: Does anyone know how to remain motivated or say no to sweets and beers/whisky during cold weather?

Since Diwali i have gained 6 kgs. All because I cant say no to Diwali Sweets,Christmas parties and endup eating like a pig till Holi.. Now I have just started the summer program.. Allready lost about 2 kgs... Unlike last year, I need a beach body before i hit the beach :aha: Does anyone know how to remain motivated or say no to sweets and beers/whisky during cold weather?
i dont have a sweet tooth and i drink only socially..so it is much easier for me. but the best thing is to stick on the periphery of the grocery store and don't get to the interior aisle. don't buy stuff..resist the urge while ur shopping. so later when ur at home..u cant eat even when u want to. controlling urself just while shopping is easier.