Mark Richardson not happy with IPL pinching players

Sachinism

Yeh thats nice, spot a kid when he is about 10, spend **** loads of money developing him, watch him turn into a world class player but now he isnt allowed to play for you, he has to play for some made up club! Sounds fair.
Welcome to the 21st Century. What world are you living in? Tell me a single professional league which doesnt follow that business plan?

Welcome to the 21st Century. What world are you living in?
Oh so playing for your home club doesnt happen in the 21st century! When did this happen? I wonder if the Aussie state/english county etc sides should just put a clause in saying you have to play the champions league for them, seems to work for IPL "clubs"

Welcome to the 21st Century. What world are you living in? Tell me a single professional league which doesnt follow that business plan?
A professional league doesnt have players signed up to multiple teams that are competing.....moron

Oh so playing for your home club doesnt happen in the 21st century! When did this happen?
SInce when? If the home club sees potential in you and could be crucial in their campaign then will try and maximise your availability. Otherwise they will hope your IPL team asks for you so they can cash in.
A professional league doesnt have players signed up to multiple teams that are competing.....moron
CL is still in its early years along with IPL.............something gotta give regarding this multiple contracting by the players. Its just a matter of time before all the domestic leagues around the world evolve into city franchise based system if the money keeps flowing in.

It does. The kid knew exactly what he was doing' date=' he made a choice when he signed the contract.[/quote'] I don't think anyone is saying that he has not signed the contract or about the exact contents of the contract. The point being made is that is such a contract fair? Why should players not have the choice? Yes, you can very easily say that White or Kallis should have signed the contract in the first place, but that would be missing the point. There is so much money at stake in the IPL and there is no guarantee that their home teams will qualify for the CL anyways, that for all practical purposes they would sign the contract and take the downside of it along with the upsides of the money. But given the amount of grassroots investment that these domestic teams make into developing these players, at the very least the rules should allow for the player to choose rather than the IPL franchise.

But given the amount of grassroots investment that these domestic teams make into developing these players, at the very least the rules should allow for the player to choose rather than the IPL franchise.
The players hardly plays for his local side anyway. Its the efforts of some other local player that got them into the CL, but now that local player will be replaced by a IPL contracted player who happens to be eligible for his home side.

The players hardly plays for his local side anyway. Its the efforts of some other local player that got them into the CL' date=' but now that local player will be replaced by a IPL contracted player who happens to be eligible for his home side.[/quote'] Australian and English players don't play often for their domestic sides. However, even in Australia except the ones involved in an international match do play for their domestic sides. New Zealand and South Africa have quite a few players who play in their domestic leagues. Taylor's example is in this thread itself and IIRC most of the main players from South Africa played in their domestic leagues whenever they were available last season.

I think its a small price to pay for what will be a great opportunity for the clubs. They get more money. They get experience of Indian cricket conditions. They get experience of life as a traveling sportsman. Exposure to a broader audience around the world and a great opportunity to shine and fast track their career. Everyone can see how heavily everything is stacked in the IPL teams favour that there is no pressure. Infact the only pressure is probably on the IPL teams to not bow out before the semi finals again. The competition has such little prestige at the moment I dont think the supporters of the winning teams will even have any bragging rights.

The players hardly plays for his local side anyway. Its the efforts of some other local player that got them into the CL' date=' but now that local player will be replaced by a IPL contracted player who happens to be eligible for his home side.[/quote'] Taylor scored 80 off 30 for his side to win the domestic T20 comp.

I dont see any point in Mark Richardson's rant. This CL is a joker's league. The whole point of this is to artificially create demand and thus further popularize this T20 format. Its not like this is some kinda world cup where player's national identities are at stake. I dont know how this rule works in European soccer leagues, but if players are getting paid by the truckloads they better desert their home teams and play for their employers. After all what is the point in paying Taylor loads of money if he is not going to play for Bangalore ? Infact if they simply make all this the player's choice, he would have chosen the IPL team anyways - in which case this writeup from Richardson will be moot. Much ado about nothing!

IPL teams do have a "first choice to players" clause and they can invoke it if they WANT. its unfair.its solely due to the arrogance of that cursed organisation bcci. players are paid on a pro rata basis. why are some ill informed making misleading comments like "they are paid" ? they are not.

The tournamant is designed so these IPL "clubs" have the best chance of winning.
And yet none of them could reach even the semi-finals last year :haha: I hope the same happens again this year so that the Test players are able to get more preparation time for the Aus Test series

IPL teams do have a "first choice to players" clause and they can invoke it if they WANT. its unfair.its solely due to the arrogance of that cursed organisation bcci. players are paid on a pro rata basis. why are some ill informed making misleading comments like "they are paid" ? they are not.
What is misleading ? Ross Taylor is paid by Bangalore Royal Challengers to play for them. He is a Royal Challenger the moment he signed with them. If you are an IPL player, at some point you have to expect play in the CL. How is "I'll play for IPL when it suits me and my home teams at other times", good for the IPL entrepreneurs. After all, a big part of the IPL team brand and potential to win depends on its foreign players. I think this is all too overblown TBH. If players care so much about loyalty for their home teams, why play for IPL teams ? If they want the money they need to represent their IPL team regardless. In the corporate world, if you are paid by an employer you and your work represent the employer. You cannot affliate yourself with the employer when you want to earn your pay cheque and then with some one else competing with your employer at other times. I dont know why people are up in arms when this common sense is extended to cricket. And as i said, had the choice been left to the individual players, they'd have picked the IPL team anyways and it would have been a lot more embarrassing for the home teams.

R Sathish is playing in the CL. Enough said.
lol.. He was my OH's senior at school / college. Whenever CSK plays, she asks me if he is playing, she couldn't care about the match or any of the other player playing. Just proud that somebody from her school or college is playing:)

What is misleading ? Ross Taylor is paid by Bangalore Royal Challengers to play for them. .
why are you so stupid and thick? he is only obligated to play for IPL. there is no reason, a player shud only play for ipl outside the IPL. why does ipl require special consideration than his domestic team? he is also paid by and employed with other teams like central districts.he is also as obligated to them and if not more obligated to CD since its his native team. if he chooses not to play for RCB in cl, he won't be paid.its that simple. IPL takes unfair advantage by invoking the "first chocie to players" clause.
How is "I'll play for IPL when it suits me and my home teams at other times", good for the IPL entrepreneurs.
you are making a fool out of yourself. it works the other way as well-I'll play for home team when it suits me and IPLat other times" and how is it good for central districts? that's what richardson is asking.
After all, a big part of the IPL team brand and potential to win depends on its foreign players.
its their problem. its pretty fair that players choose the side they are most professionally loyal to. but BCCI has prevented it.

why are you so stupid and thick? he is only obligated to play for IPL. there is no reason, a player shud only play for ipl outside the IPL. why does ipl require special consideration than his domestic team? he is also paid by and employed with other teams like central districts.he is also as obligated to them and if not more obligated to CD since its his native team. if he chooses not to play for RCB in cl, he won't be paid.its that simple. IPL takes unfair advantage by invoking the "first chocie to players" clause. you are making a fool out of yourself. it works the other way as well-I'll play for home team when it suits me and IPLat other times" and how is it good for central districts? that's what richardson is asking. its their problem. its pretty fair that players choose the side they are most professionally loyal to. but BCCI has prevented it.
First, Stop with the name calling. Do you really think that players are naive and that they didnt know about the first choice clause for CL when they signed it? They have lawyers and managers who go thro' their contract with a fine comb on each and every single sentence. The players knew it before they signed and so they had already chosen to play for their IPL teams. If White wanted to play for his home team, then he shouldn't have signed the contract to play for IPL teams which includes CL and any other games that his franchise organizes. Oh wait! that would mean he doesn't get paid. Once again, players don't get paid per match basis strictly. They have to available for just 50% of the games to get paid in full. So someone like Kallis has to be paid in full whether he plays for BRC in CL or not. From next year, the onus should be put entirely on the player. All the players who wishes to play for their home team should let this be known before the auction so that the IPL teams can buy players based on this. So lets say Flintoff gets only 1 million instead of the 1.5 million. Let's see how many players would like that. Its easy for the players and their home teams to blame IPL but who the fk are they kidding. The players signed their contract fully knowing this.