Zal Irani Cup, 2010-11

As I've mentioned before, ROI has already won the match and the second innings or enforcing the follow on is merely academic in the context of the match result. I can see where you are coming from and its the normal question one would raise- why not enforce the follow on. In an ideal match, the captain would enforce the follow on. Its also quite clear why the follow-on wasnt enforced as well. Let's look at this way, are people especially the selectors going to care or remember if Yuvraj the captain leads his team to victory with an outright win or a first innings lead win OR how much runs Yuvraj the batsman would've scored. It is clearly the latter. Having missed out in the first innings, and under the scanner of the selectors and media, he clearly seized the opportunity as the captain and used it to his advantage and scored a double century. Call it selfish or whatever, with this knock what Yuvi has stated is hi, dont forget about me altogether
You are right, why even play a domestic cup. Lets just arrange a batting camp where everyone gets a chance to show their skills and the one who is aggressive can stand in line for team India We all know Yuvi is a great bat, but think he dragged this one a bit 2 much and on a pitch where someone like RAshwin can hit 73 vs Mumbai bowlers, it really doesn't show any extra ordinary ability which he doesn't already possess
You are right, why even play a domestic cup. Lets just arrange a batting camp where everyone gets a chance to show their skills and the one who is aggressive can stand in line for team India We all know Yuvi is a great bat, but think he dragged this one a bit 2 much and on a pitch where someone like RAshwin can hit 73 vs Mumbai bowlers, it really doesn't show any extra ordinary ability which he doesn't already possess
cant agree more
You are right, why even play a domestic cup. Lets just arrange a batting camp where everyone gets a chance to show their skills and the one who is aggressive can stand in line for team India
Well, the onus is on the BCCI and the respective ground staff to ensure sporting pitches for domestic matches. The players can only play on whatever is given to them. The rules are such that he didnt need to enforce the follow on.
We all know Yuvi is a great bat, but think he dragged this one a bit 2 much and on a pitch where someone like RAshwin can hit 73 vs Mumbai bowlers, it really doesn't show any extra ordinary ability which he doesn't already possess
So what do you propose Yuvi should've done? Play the role of a captain and enforce the follow on? If so, then he would've ended up with a 4 and people would be criticizing him that he couldnt even reach double figures in a match where Ashwin scored a 73. That's exactly how things would've panned out. That would've been a failure for him. Now that he gave himself a second chance, and scored a double, he's again being criticized. Catch 22 for him. If I were him, I'd rather get some runs under my belt than getting the credit for being the captain that led ROI to an innings victory, while scoring just 4. And wrt to everybody knowing that he's a great batsman, then he may not have been on good terms with the selectors as he was dropped from the Asia Cup recently and then axed from the Test squad as well. And he hasnt set the stage on fire at the Test level either. So taking these things into account, it was an important knock for Yuvi even though he may have acted a bit selfishly.
well i stopped posting here for long time but people here just dont wanna leave yuvi alone. In the first innings when he was bowled for 4 lots of people started saying , Is yuvi finished as batsman after getting 4 on this flat *****y pitch. Now he scored 200 still same stuff . anyway peace

^^ First of all, many of you have to take this notion off that its some type of Anti-Punjabi brigade here. Unless you remove that thought, there is no way one can have a decent conversation. We all love yuvi and his great batting but he chose to get in form where he could have declared much earlier, now again this could very well work but how many runs do you need for a team to chase on day 4.5/5? 781 runs, lets say 550 would have been enough as well, dont u think --------------------- Ludh So what do you propose Yuvi should've done? Play the role of a captain and enforce the follow on? If so, then he would've ended up with a 4 and people would be criticizing him that he couldn't even reach double figures in a match where Ashwin scored a 73. I would assume ppl would say he should have declared earlier, at least thats what I read in cricinfo. Don't get me wrong, I am big yuvi fan too and would love to see this video but we sometimes turn out to be hypocrites while talking talking abt lara's 400 being selfish and teams not going for wins for personal milestones Also, if winning this match is not important then why even declare? he could have gone for triple or more?

^^ First of all, many of you have to take this notion off that its some type of Anti-Punjabi brigade here. Unless you remove that thought, there is no way one can have a decent conversation. We all love yuvi and his great batting but he chose to get in form where he could have declared much earlier, now again this could very well work but how many runs do you need for a team to chase on day 4.5/5? 781 runs, lets say 550 would have been enough as well, dont u think --------------------- Ludh So what do you propose Yuvi should've done? Play the role of a captain and enforce the follow on? If so, then he would've ended up with a 4 and people would be criticizing him that he couldn't even reach double figures in a match where Ashwin scored a 73. I would assume ppl would say he should have declared earlier, at least thats what I read in cricinfo. Don't get me wrong, I am big yuvi fan too and would love to see this video but we sometimes turn out to be hypocrites while talking talking abt lara's 400 being selfish and teams not going for wins for personal milestones Also, if winning this match is not important then why even declare? he could have gone for triple or more?
lol, I dont know where the anti-Punjabi angle came into the discussion. Anyhow, no one is denying that Yuvi used his captaincy authority to influence the game in his favor. I've mentioned that many times above in my own posts. And I even mentioned that its time to declare after he got his century. Is it selfish? Yeah, no body is denying that either. Now there were two scenarios : 1. Score a grand total of 4 runs in the match and enforce the follow on and come out as a great captain with an innings victory under his belt. The selectors answer: If all he can score is 4 runs when every other player hits a fifty, then he's not worth it Fans reaction: He cant even reach double figures on a flat pitch..Great he's gone out of the team and some taunts 2. Score a century (well he kept on going for his double). Be looked upon as a selfish captain. Selectors : Okay,...something to think about...aferall he did get a century Fans: Selfish person should've enforced the follow on and scored a 4 And drawing comparisons to Lara's 400? ROI is winning this domestic match anyways no problems with the innings being a selfish one. Yeah I agree he could've declared when he got his century but from his perspective this was a match where he needed to show that he could score some runs. In the end, mission accomplished by Yuvi albeit in a selfish way. He was drafted in the side to see if he could score some runs here anyways. I dont have anything more to add :dontknow: