Commonwealth Games may be called off : NZ official

seedhi

This has to be the most embarrassing moment for all Indians in recent history. It has even made the top news of CNN world. :(( I really hope something is done about this regarding making people accountable for this fiasco.
I fail to understand why we are embarassed by this. We know over half our population is poor. We treat our "laborers", and "villagers" as 3rd class citizens who are supposed to work, clean up, and disappear. These laborers live in the same kind of filth that we can see in the pictures and it is only natural that they might end up treating some of these rooms as they did. We know our government is corrupt, and a huge margin of these funds are pocketed by the politicians. It is these facts, that our middle class desperately tries to brush under the carpet that we should be embarrassed about. Now that the filth, muck and corruption has come into the open for the whole world to see, we are embarrassed by it ? I, for one, am glad for these games, as it shows a mirror to the hordes of "india-shining" chest thumping middle class Indians who are living in a fool's paradise that we are on the whole as "developed" as a western country. I hope people realize that there are a many other things that need to be done in India before spending 70,000 crores on something as frivolous as the games. In the past, I thought the games were good as they expedited a few projects and helped in the development of the city, but I've had a reality-check, and I hope many others get one too. PS: Somebody needs to sue Kalmadi and his gang.

I fail to understand why we are embarassed by this. We know over half our population is poor. We treat our "laborers", and "villagers" as 3rd class citizens who are supposed to work, clean up, and disappear. These laborers live in the same kind of filth that we can see in the pictures and it is only natural that they might end up treating some of these rooms as they did. We know our government is corrupt, and a huge margin of these funds are pocketed by the politicians. It is these facts, that our middle class desperately tries to brush under the carpet that we should be embarrassed about. Now that the filth, muck and corruption has come into the open for the whole world to see, we are embarrassed by it ? I, for one, am glad for these games, as it shows a mirror to the hordes of "india-shining" chest thumping middle class Indians who are living in a fool's paradise that we are on the whole as "developed" as a western country. I hope people realize that there are a many other things that need to be done in India before spending 70,000 crores on something as frivolous as the games. In the past, I thought the games were good as they expedited a few projects and helped in the development of the city, but I've had a reality-check, and I hope many others get one too. PS: Somebody needs to sue Kalmadi and his gang.
Top stuff, varun :nice:

Varun, the problem is we are supposed to be getting better and on the rise. We are clubbed with China and Brazil as the developing countries of the world. Look at the Hyderabad airport. At least in photos looks very good. No I did not expect us to put on a show like Beijing, but didn't expect this cr@p either. We managed the Asiad of the 80s better than this I think.

Varun, the problem is we are supposed to be getting better and on the rise. We are clubbed with China and Brazil as the developing countries of the world. Look at the Hyderabad airport. At least in photos looks very good. No I did not expect us to put on a show like Beijing, but didn't expect this cr@p either. We managed the Asiad of the 80s better than this I think.
Sure we did organize it better. We spent a fraction of what we spent this time, but guess what happened to all the infrastructure that was developed during the games. I used to go to Talkatora as a kid growing up in delhi, and the stadium has become shambolic. There is hardly any maintenance of the stadii that were developed. They've actually almost matched the amount that was spent on building the jawaharlal nehru stadium into renovating it and hiring that obscene looking balloon that they plan to use for the ceremony. The problem is, when people club us with China and Brazil, they look at the financial side, not our infrastructure, standard of living, or equanimity between the rich and the poor. We need to raise the standard of living of ALL Indians rather than trying to match the best facilities in the world for just a few elites to use. It is this false bravado about us being an "emerging superpower" that made some people in the government raise the commonwealth games budget by over a 1000% ! And the objective of this was of course to show a few shiny new things to the world as an overt display of how 'developed' our country is. Sad.

Sure we did organize it better. We spent a fraction of what we spent this time, but guess what happened to all the infrastructure that was developed during the games. I used to go to Talkatora as a kid growing up in delhi, and the stadium has become shambolic. There is hardly any maintenance of the stadii that were developed. They've actually almost matched the amount that was spent on building the jawaharlal nehru stadium into renovating it and hiring that obscene looking balloon that they plan to use for the ceremony.
Yeah, Asian games of '82 were done at a much lower scale, but whatever was done was accomplished rather well. At least the basics did not go horribly wrong. In the CWG, it looks like all the attention has been on the showy, jazzy bits with little regards to the basics, completely ignoring the fact that if something as fundamental as the living quarters of the athletes are not up to the mark, then any amount of laser shows that one might set up, are not going to make the event a success. Completely agree with you about the lack of upkeep of the infrastructure developed for the Asian games as well. In fact, if those things had been maintained a lot of them could have been renovated with minimum additional funds for the CWG. But then again, the entire purpose of hosting the games seems to be to guzzle down an insane amount of funds by a select group. 70,000 crores, $15 billion. I mean, WTF is that figure! Even the London Olympics have a smaller budget than that despite being a much bigger event and organized in a Western country where the labor and other costs are an order of magnitude higher than India!

Varun' date=' the problem is we are supposed to be getting better and on the rise. We are clubbed with China and Brazil as the developing countries of the world. [b']Look at the Hyderabad airport. At least in photos looks very good. No I did not expect us to put on a show like Beijing, but didn't expect this cr@p either. We managed the Asiad of the 80s better than this I think.
Hyderabad airport is run and built by a private company = GMR = :dd: CWG is built and run by Indian Government = Corruption = :hysterical:

We all are upset and rightly so but Varun is right, its only Indians who actually believe that india is really a super-power while rest of the world sees slums , poverty , divide between rich n poor , state of poor farmers , corruption etc. Its only us who didnt realize where we stand ... rest of the world knows it.

Assuming that the morning daytime schedule on BBC1 is on hold for the Games, maybe the current shows could be used. 9.15 Helicopter Heroes - Athletes are ferried in and out of the stadium. 10.00 Stadiums Under the Hammer- Work continues on sport arenas as remaining athletes continue to perform 11.00 Filthy Rotten Scoundrels- Documentary as Games Authorities make the accommodation habitable. 12.15 Bargain Hunt- Surplus Bronze Medals are put up for auction as lack of competitors means everyone gets a silver and gold medal.
UK folks who have seen the Beebs morning line up will understand this. :laugh:

tip of the iceberg... they need to cancel the games ASAP. i wouldn't want to wake up in the morning and read some unfortunate news of some athlete getting killed by a roof or a wall falling on his head. we all know thats quite likely. i want to slap the **** out of that *** lalit bhanot. i guess paan stained walls and sinks are your standard of cleanliness, you corrupt piece of ****? attitudes like his are common in the crap factory that is india. this games has turned out be a complete shambles because of people like him. same goes for all the other shitfaced administrators that keep calling the collapse of the a bridge, false ceiling, and god knows what else, a 'minor' problem. in a perverse kind of way, i'm glad all this is happening. i am sure the aam aadmi living in india experiences much worse. i'm sure people amongst us, your family members and friends, have tried buying property in india and felt disappointed by the pathetic standard of construction and delays. its no surprise. but now its all coming out in the open and the world gets to see what a ****ing joke india is, and the kind of corruption and greed that thrives here. everyone in delhi should just boycott the games. dont go to a single event, just ignore it altogether. dont let the politicians and other haramkhors screw you again. well, they already did, when they used your tax money to stage the most pathetic games in the history of man kind.

tip of the iceberg... they need to cancel the games ASAP. i wouldn't want to wake up in the morning and read some unfortunate news of some athlete getting killed by a roof or a wall falling on his head. we all know thats quite likely. i want to slap the **** out of that *** lalit bhanot. i guess paan stained walls and sinks are your standard of cleanliness, you corrupt piece of ****? attitudes like his are common in the crap factory that is india. this games has turned out be a complete shambles because of people like him. same goes for all the other shitfaced administrators that keep calling the collapse of the a bridge, false ceiling, and god knows what else, a 'minor' problem. in a perverse kind of way, i'm glad all this is happening. i am sure the aam aadmi living in india experiences much worse. i'm sure people amongst us, your family members and friends, have tried buying property in india and felt disappointed by the pathetic standard of construction and delays. its no surprise. but now its all coming out in the open and the world gets to see what a ****ing joke india is, and the kind of corruption and greed that thrives here. everyone in delhi should just boycott the games. dont go to a single event, just ignore it altogether. dont let the politicians and other haramkhors screw you again. well, they already did, when they used your tax money to stage the most pathetic games in the history of man kind.
I am sorry but how long have you lived in India? Yes, what is happening is not good, it is embarassing, shows a poor reflection of our country to the world and all that, but crap factory? No India is not a crap factory, we have our share of shortcomings, more than most countries, but still I take issue on you calling my country a crap factory.

I am sorry but how long have you lived in India? Yes' date=' what is happening is not good, it is embarassing, shows a poor reflection of our country to the world and all that, but crap factory? No India is not a crap factory, we have our share of shortcomings, more than most countries, but still I take issue on you calling my country a crap factory.[/quote'] about 15 years. i am calling it as i see it. i am a proud indian, but i dont live under the delusion of india being anything other than a wannabe developed country which is still 50 years behind china. the reason for this, in my mind, is that people don't give a damn and dont want to change things. indians only look out for themselves. which is why the roads and the areas outside most buildings are in a pitiful condition, while everything looks all spic and span on the inside. its why an indian wouldnt mind spitting and pissing on the street but would use the sink and toilet when he is in his own home. commonwealth games is a reflection of a little bit mroe than just the attitudes of corrupt chewthiyas running this country.

about 15 years. i am calling it as i see it. i am a proud indian, but i dont live under the delusion of india being anything other than a wannabe developed country which is still 50 years behind china. the reason for this, in my mind, is that people don't give a damn and dont want to change things. indians only look out for themselves. which is why the roads and the areas outside most buildings are in a pitiful condition, while everything looks all spic and span on the inside. its why an indian wouldnt mind spitting and pissing on the street but would use the sink and toilet when he is in his own home. commonwealth games is a reflection of a little bit mroe than just the attitudes of corrupt chewthiyas running this country.
You came out of the crap factory.so you must be crap too.

about 15 years. i am calling it as i see it. i am a proud indian, but i dont live under the delusion of india being anything other than a wannabe developed country which is still 50 years behind china. the reason for this, in my mind, is that people don't give a damn and dont want to change things. indians only look out for themselves. which is why the roads and the areas outside most buildings are in a pitiful condition, while everything looks all spic and span on the inside. its why an indian wouldnt mind spitting and pissing on the street but would use the sink and toilet when he is in his own home. commonwealth games is a reflection of a little bit mroe than just the attitudes of corrupt chewthiyas running this country.
excellent post! Wish potw was available for chit chat section! Very well said about the general mentality....I have seen people spit paan stains on the street and in the staircase but keeping things clean in their own homes throwing trash outside but keeping things clean inside no one loves the country....everyone wants their own gain... no one cares abt the community or public areas...otherwise how can things be so dirty and unclean? on top of that the attitude is absolutely deplorable

Ok, I have heard a lot of bollocks on this thread particularly from texmex, khana_pakhaya etc. All of you guys who are sitting nicely outside India and preaching to the galleries, I have a question for you: Can you honestly confirm right now that you have never bribed or acted with impropriety in relation to any rule of law in India? If you can say yes, please go ahead and continue to preach. My point being, each one of us have to follow our responsibility first before calling for public execution et al of politicians. The government is just a reflection of the nature of the people. We are corrupt. Simple.

I am not at all surprised and blame the people who selected India for CWG. Why would you give hosting rights of such a big event to a corrupt third world country like India?? :dontknow:
Because you are not even third world and they couldn't give it to you. :dontknow:

Ok, I have heard a lot of bollocks on this thread particularly from texmex, khana_pakhaya etc. All of you guys who are sitting nicely outside India and preaching to the galleries, I have a question for you: Can you honestly confirm right now that you have never bribed or acted with impropriety in relation to any rule of law in India? If you can say yes, please go ahead and continue to preach. My point being, each one of us have to follow our responsibility first before calling for public execution et al of politicians. The government is just a reflection of the nature of the people. We are corrupt. Simple.
please tell me which part of my post was 'bollocks'.