Disabled swimmer beats odds, strikes bronze

Sir john

sp6.jpg Until two months ago, Prashant Karmakar, India’s medal hope in CWG’s para sports category, didn’t even have the money to buy a swimming costume. Today, as always, he swam against all odds to strike a bronze for India in the 50 metre freestyle S9 category, one among the para swimming events that kicked off at Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Swimming Pool Complex here. This was India’s first CWG medal in swimming. “I am thrilled to make it though I would have preferred gold,†an elated Prashant told The Tribune, hopes of a brighter future shining through his eyes. At a distance stood his old, frail parents -- father Shanti Karmakar and mother Vibha - who came all the way from West Bengal to see their son do India proud. “We are humbled,†remarked the athlete’s father who, at 65, is no longer fit to work. A former truck driver who earned meagerly for his family, Shanti was diagnosed with severe asthma and suggested rest. He admits he never really supported his son’s ambitions. “Not that he bothered me ever. I am very touched today,†said a proud father, who had to swap tickets with his younger son to watch the final after the Swimming Federation of India failed to offer the passes which para athletes requested for their families. For the final, Prashant’s brother Jayant stood outside the stadium, having swapped the pass with his father. He was happy to have watched the heats this morning. The family is as such used to odds, so is Prashant, who lost his right arm in an accident when he was seven. “I took to swimming at 16. Since then, I have been struggling to train and get sponsorship,†he says, saluting his senior para swimmer Sukhbir Singh from Haryana, who pulled him out if Bengal to train in Haryana. For seven years, Prashant has been representing Haryana in para swimming, shining at every national meet; he has won 30 international medals for India, including the one today. Ranked third in Asia, he won a bronze at the International German Swimming Championship for the Disabled in June.