ICF photography thread

zen

Some very sharp awesome pics rett :top: also can you please suggest a good wide angle lens for my Canon Rebel T1i, stock lens is 18mm - 55mm, I want to buy a lens 10mm - 22mm ...which brand is better...Sigma or Tamron ? Thanks
On a Canon crop dslr (1.6 crop factor) 10-22mm = 16-35mm on full frame (min hand held speed w/o image stabilization = 1/35) 18-55mm = 29-88 mm on FF I would suggest getting a fixed aperture lens. Fixed aperture would be something like F2.8 / F4 vs F3.5-F5.6, F4-F5.6, etc .... a constant aperture of say F2.8 would give you that aperture throughout the focal ranges whether at wide or tele end, while a variable would be say F4 at wide and F5.6 at tele end Sigma has a 10-22 F3.5 fixed aperture lens 10-22 F3.5, which should be good .... but it does not have image stabilization so for shutter speeds below 1/30 for a second, you will need a tripod There is this 11-16 lens from Tokina, which is even faster at F2.8 and very highly rated and probably the one to get Tokina F2.8 11-16 at B&H Tokina 11-16 F2.8 at Adorama Appears as if the Tokina is in such demand that it is out of stock! PS if you use filters on your lenses, use the "multi coated" ones from Hoya, B+W, Heliopan, etc. if you get a cheap filter and put it in front of a nice lens then it could degrade iamge quality

Gear list update: Ultra wide angle - N/A Wide angle - Carl Zeiss 28mm F2 ZF.2 (Manual Focus Only) Normal - Carl Zeiss 50mm F2 ZF.2 Makro (Manual Focus Only) Tele - Nikon 80-200 F2.8 Super Tele - N/A Full frame (35mm) DSLR - Nikon D700 Film (35mm) SLR - FM-10 Flash - Nikon SB 700 Others: Tripod, monopod and head(s) - From Manfrotto Filters - From B+W (UV, Skylight, CPL, step up rings, ....) .... Hoya FLW Bags - Thinktank Street Walker Pro, Thinktank Retrospective 20, Roots Safari Other miscellaneous stuff Wishlist: * Carl Zeiss 21mm (for Ultra Wide Angle) * Lee Filters like graduated ND * Singh Ray Vario trio filter * Additional Flashes, wireless triggers and lighting kit * medium format system * More skills :P

Yep, Full frame is the way to go .... If you don't mind shooting 35 mm film then you can get something like an used F100 for less than $300 though, a f5 or F6 too for a fraction of cost of d700, which is currently listed at $2700+tax on b&h .... D800 will probably be priced around $3000 If you don't have lenses for Full Frame, you may need to invest in them too .... May be it's not a bad idea to start out with film (you can scan it to digital) and get a lens like Carl Zeiss 21 mm for the type of photography you do. It is listed at $1850+ tax. (or the 28 mm, which i got, listed at around $1300+tax). You could even get one of the TS-E lenses if you plan to shoot architecture .... Even the 24-70 mm f2.8 from nikon ( listed at $1700+tax) is pretty good PS did you step into water to take that shot :P

rett ,I don't think I will venture into film(used it long back when dad had canon T70 ) .at present I'm saving up for D700 .yes ,I have lenses that will work with full frame just fine .like 50mm ,24-85mm and 70-300mm .I know my present UWA [10-24mm]can't be used with FF ,but I will keep my d90 as a second body .So till the time I get UWA like 16-35mm for FF .I will be using that lens with D90. Nope , kept the camera on the stone slab :)

rett ' date='I don't think I will venture into film(used it long back when dad had canon T70 ) .at present I'm saving up for D700 .yes ,I have lenses that will work with full frame just fine .like 50mm ,24-85mm and 70-300mm .I know my present UWA [10-24mm']can't be used with FF ,but I will keep my d90 as a second body .So till the time I get UWA like 16-35mm for FF .I will be using that lens with D90. Nope , kept the camera on the stone slab :)
It's worth saving up for D700 .... You will love it!

I think I'll go for http://www.adorama.com/TN1116EOS.html ....thanks
It is not in stock though .... and the Tiffen filter you get with the package is probably not good. Appears as if it is not even multi-coated so you could get a lot of flare Since this is UWA lens, you might need a slim filter otherwise the lens could vignette. Try a multi-coated one from B+W, Heliopan or Hoya, if you need a filter 77mm filters .... I think the Tokina takes 77mm filters