Auction vs Draft

yoda

I think this Auction business is total BS, forcing teams to overbid for players. Why can't the IPL follow a draft system like the US pro leagues where teams get draft pick slots based on previous season performance + lottery (to avoid tanking games) and then do an orderly picking of best available talent? Salaries could be pre-assigned also - for example top pick of a team gets x% of the cap, next gets a little lower, and so on. That could be a better distribution of money also than this random shyte where a lazy ass like Munaf gets 700k and a bozo like Jadeja gets 950k.

the team which finishes last in the previous season gets the 1st pick in the draft which can have many rds (with 10 picks in each rd because there are 10 teams).picks are tradeable to other teams for more picks or players.the value is top pick will be highest and it will decrease as we go on in the draft.each year they have have this draft where "new" players are inducted this way and it helps the bad teams get better as they have the shot at the better players.

Its like a Lucky Draw or some lottery thing I guess, but chances are, others will whine about this system, and in the end, they will have to resort back to this auction. But what I feel is, they can reduce the timing of auction, by marking players that they are interested in, and only those player's name shall be put in auction.It was pointless to see some names, who haven't even played any domestic Cricket like Tim Armstrong, and many more, and its imperative that no one would like to pick someone whom they haven't seen much of, and in the end, the auctioneer must announce the list of players who were rejected, because no one had any interest in taking them.And if the teams have changed their minds, they can call the player for re- auction. This will reduce the time as well, and make the auction a little more easy, as more than half are rejected immediately.

How is draft system a lucky draw? Your pick represents your performance in the season which has a calculated lottery formula to stop teams from purposely losing to stop them from getting the first pick.
:hysterical::hysterical: g92 knows no horseshyte..spare the kid please :icflove:

:hysterical::hysterical: g92 knows no horseshyte..spare the kid please :icflove:
Ok' date=' I don't get this, please explain it with respective statistical analysis, formulas to make it clear.[/quote'] Dumbo! Read the posts that follows the post you quote :finger:.I accepted that I didn't quite get it and that I misunderstood it for something else :D.

Ok, let me explain the draft system in the NBA. Some of the team numbers are from memory, could be lower or higher, but the point remains the same. There are about 30 teams there. Bottom 13 teams will get to be in the lottery. They will get assigned balls for slots 1 through 3 via lottery. NBA official will pick the team's ball number for #1, #2 and #3 slots. The lowest ranked team will have more balls than the next worst team, etc, so the worst team has the best chance of getting the #1 pick, but not guaranteed to get that as that would mean they can tank games towards end of season just to get the #1 pick. Anyways, 3 teams out of the 13 get #1, #2 and #3 picks. Rest #4 - #30 will now be in reverse order of finishing rank in previous season. Teams pick in the order they are assigned. They all know their draft number in advance and can prepare for players who will be available etc. Once Round 1 is over, Round 2 will be in the same order. Salaries for drafted players are kind of controlled by the NBA by their draft number, although teams have to negotiate final numbers with the selected player. Sometimes this leads to player hold out, etc, but most of the time they are able to come to terms. This assignment of draft choice numbers based on previous year's performance works in the NBA only because the teams still have most of their players from previous year and are only picking few extra ones. The idea is that the worst teams needed the best new players to even things out. Since the IPL pretty much starts all over every year, a different way to assign picking slots needs to be worked out unless teams retain most of the players from prior year and only pick for fewer available slots. May be all the slots go into a lottery, but for every round they could assign new numbers. In any case, knowing when they will be picking in advance will give teams more time to prepare for the draft and pick players in a more controlled manner than this out of control Auction system. A guy like Jadeja will be picked by a team may be in Round 8, probably as the 75th player and will get salary which is commensurate with his draft position rather than the 950k he got due to heated bidding.

I think just for this year: players should not have been retained, all the indian uncapped player who played 60% of IPL matches last season should have been put in auction and this way we would not had inflated prices for indian players the maximum salary cap should have been $10 million there should not have been any minimum base price for any player

Isnt the draft only for noobies? What about the rest? Draft for all then? That means that players will be undervalued.This is a really fair method. The franchises decides what a player is worth and frankly if they feel that Gambhir is worth 2.4 million $, then good for him. Besides, who decides that one player is worth more than the other? Also technically in cricket, a team composition should suit its strategy. Some teams will go with steady openers and so with dashing openers. What if they draft a dashing opener when they want a steady opener. What if a team is stuck with 3 world class spinners but no world class pace bowler. Anyway, if the same route as NBA is followed i.e. draft for rookies and no salary cap for others, then you can bet your ass that Ambanis and Mallaya will get players at very high salary and RR will be left with scraps. I think auction with salary cap is the best option here because it gives the players the maximum returns without turning the competition lopsided.

Isnt the draft only for noobies? What about the rest? Draft for all then? That means that players will be undervalued.This is a really fair method. The franchises decides what a player is worth and frankly if they feel that Gambhir is worth 2.4 million $' date=' then good for him. Besides, who decides that one player is worth more than the other? [/quote'] C'mon, we all know Gambhir did not deserve 2.4 mill. He got that only because there was a bidding war and teams needed players. And don't tell me Jadeja deserved 950k either or VG Rao deserved 700k. Also, players who are taken earlier seem to have a better chance of getting bigger bucks.
Also technically in cricket, a team composition should suit its strategy. Some teams will go with steady openers and so with dashing openers. What if they draft a dashing opener when they want a steady opener. What if a team is stuck with 3 world class spinners but no world class pace bowler.
You can always draft whoever you want depending on your team needs.
Anyway, if the same route as NBA is followed i.e. draft for rookies and no salary cap for others, then you can bet your ass that Ambanis and Mallaya will get players at very high salary and RR will be left with scraps.
NBA has overall team salary cap and cap on individual player salary depending on experience.
I think auction with salary cap is the best option here because it gives the players the maximum returns without turning the competition lopsided.
Going by this year's auction's random prices for some rather mediocre players, there must be a better way.

C'mon, we all know Gambhir did not deserve 2.4 mill. He got that only because there was a bidding war and teams needed players. And don't tell me Jadeja deserved 950k either or VG Rao deserved 700k. Also, players who are taken earlier seem to have a better chance of getting bigger bucks. You can always draft whoever you want depending on your team needs. NBA has overall team salary cap and cap on individual player salary depending on experience. Going by this year's auction's random prices for some rather mediocre players, there must be a better way.
Why dont they deserve it? Do you feel that you deserve what you are paid? or anyone else deserve what they are paid? Tell me why. How do you even say someone deserves it or not. Its simple supply and demand. Its the same reason that that kobe gets 25 million $ when the MVP gets 15 million $ and a noname gets 1 million. I dont know much about NBA salary cap but how can LA lakers have a 90 million payroll while sacremento has just 40 million $. Is that not lop sided? All your downfalls exist in NBA too and i am sure in every sports league, well... maybe not a communist league. I know a Louis vitton bag is not worth 2000$, but does that mean that they should make Louis vitton 500$ and raise a 300$ coach bag to 500$ too, so that all designer bags get the same money? To me either bag is worth 0 but to millions they are worth the price they are willing to pay.