Why do Indian pace bowlers regress after one or two years?

Chandan

Cricket: India's need for fast bowlers http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/comment_cricket-india-s-need-for-fast-bowlers_1585956#comments No bowling attack in recent memory has dominated the Indian batting line-up as comprehensively as the current England brigade. Their pace attack, bristling with matchless aggression in their own backyard, has been simply awesome. Led by the hugely experienced James Anderson, the pace attack of Chris Tremlett, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, not to forget young Jade Dernbach, has looked a class apart and is, probably, the finest pack this generation of Indian batsmen has encountered. The England fast bowlers dominance has been so total that in comparison their opponents bowlers have simply paled into insignificance. No wonder Indian team manager Shivlal Yadav, former India off spinner, has publicly lamented the lack of fast bowlers in his side. Article continues below the advertisement... This telling criticism of his bowlers in the middle of the tour is inexcusable. To extend his logic, just imagine the damage it would have done to the teamÃÔ self esteem and confidence if he had said that we could do with a good captain or we donÃÕ have good batsmen! The indiscretions of manager Yadav aside, it must be straight away pointed out that Indian cricket has never had a fast bowler. Barring Mohammed Nissar, who played with great success for undivided India in the 1930s and whom the legendary CK Nayudu claimed was quicker than Don BradmanÃÔ nemesis Harold Larwood, weÃ×e never had a fast bowler of express pace. No, not even Kapil Dev or Javagal Srinath, who were otherwise two of the fastest bowlers to don India colours could be termed genuinely quick bowlers. Kapil Dev, at the start of his career and Srinath, during a memorable tour of South Africa, kindled hopes among Indian cricket fans.But all too soon they sacrificed pace for cricketing longevity and proved that they could be just as successful. But this had its consequence as it robbed an entire generation of youngsters a role model of a tearaway fast bowler. A succession of bowlers concentrated on seam and swing rather than pace bowling. While these worked when conditions were ideal, they looked pedestrian at other times. In the process, Indian fast bowling hardly tested opponents with searing pace. In contrast, neighbouring Pakistan which is undoubtedly the nursery of fast bowling for the past two decades at least, have much to thank that charismatic leader Imran Khan. Till he came on the scene with his brand of raw pace and dipping in-swingers, it was the fast medium pace of Sarfaraz Nawaz and Asif Masood, to mention just two, which held sway. But Imran changed all that. To start with, he was a wild fast bowler given to express pace but with little control. But once he sorted that out, he made for magnificent viewing. His racing approach to the bowling crease, that impressive leap at the delivery stride, long hair bouncing and adding to the persona and that final explosive effort caught the imagination of PakistanÃÔ youngsters like nothing else. For good measure, he intimidated batsmen with his pace and bounce and these further excited his legion of young followers. Additionally, once Imran took over as captain, he identified and promoted other bowlers on raw pace and potential like Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Aquib Javed, et al. And each, in his own right, inspired others. Here, it must be pointed out that Pakistani pitches are as flat and insipid as the Indian ones. If anything, they encouraged run feasts. But the advent of tape ball cricket which coincided with ImranÃÔ exploits on the international arena gave PakistanÃÔ fast bowling future a great leg up. Tape-ball cricket was actually a Pakistani innovation perfected by its expatriate workers in the Middle East. They coiled tape tightly around a tennis ball to simulate a hard cricket ball (they could not afford all the paraphernalia that goes with playing with a hard cricket ball nor could they afford to get injured and miss earning their bread and butter in the gulf). This adaption was quickly introduced back home in Pakistan and spread to the various towns and cities. Tape-ball cricket was exciting as it encouraged pinch-hitting. Teams routinely scored 300 runs in 30 overs. Bowlers therefore had to improvise by bowling as fast as possible and by sending down innumerable yorkers. And they did. Many bowlers like Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Mohammed Asif, Mohammed Amir, et al have come through this route and have gone on to exhibit their skills on the international scene. Today, Pakistan has the finest assembly of young fast bowlers which is the envy of every cricket-playing nation. So why canÃÕ India produce similar fast bowlers? Role model is the key issue. (Everyone wants to be Sachin Tendulkar or Virender Sehwag). But another equally telling point is the lack of athleticism in our cricketers. Kapil Dev was a magnificent athlete no doubt. But the same cannot be said of, say, Anil Kumble or VVS Laxman, Ashish Nehra, Munaf Patel or even Rahul Dravid. A fast bowler has to necessarily be loose-limbed or have a quick arm action. Akram and Malcolm Marshall, for instance, had quick arm action while Brett Lee, Alan Donald and Michael Holding were supremely athletic and this contributed to their devastating pace. In this context it is worth recalling the words of Mahesh BhupathiÃÔ father Krishna, the foremost tennis coach in the country. He once told me: Ūf I get one single fine athlete in a group of 200 youngsters, I would be excited at his talent and concentrate really hard on honing his tennis skills. Elsewhere, in America, for instance, youÃÅ get 50 such athletes in a group of 200, each pushing the other for top spot. And thatÃÔ the difference.Ǽ That splendidly sums up our challenge to even identify and develop tennis players or fast bowlers. Venkatesh Prasad, former India player and coach, once lamented the inability of the Indian fast bowlers to maintain a good work ethic. Barring one or two exceptions, he claimed, most would not even put in the desired effort in the nets and this exposed them in the longer duration matches (as different from T20 cricket). But rather than the established players, it is the younger emerging talent and hopefuls that bear watching.Unless they believe that they have a future in express fast bowling, they would simply not put in that effort. And unless we have hundreds of young hopefuls, all wanting to bowl as fast as possible, weÃÅ always struggle to find fast bowlers.

I believe the factors are maintaining intensity, killer instinct, knowing their body smart in the way their body, action is, high level of fitness required and like the other countries where the board makes people aware what is expected of them, fitness and pace wise, and bowlers given break not worn down by playing every game like Ishant, also not having the level of support to monitor them , avoid injuries and incase of a comeback , only when at the peak , fitness wise.For younger bowlers, starting in the team at 18 or 19 , not having the knowledge or support, gaining pace and then when the body changes and they wear out they loose pace rhythm and are not fit enough to keep their peak form ala Irfan , Ishant.

Indian bowlers on the road to failure The curious case of Rahil Shaikh Devendra Pandey Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 0330 hrs IST Sporting a black tee, which like everything else in Rahil Shaikh's wardrobe clings to his bulging muscles, he seems pretty ambiguous in the swarming congregation despite his ample frame. The venue here is Naushad Khan's new residence, where the burly left-arm pacer is among the special invitees for the departure function arranged for his mentor's eldest son, Sarfaraz, who is on his way to England. With everyone from local politicians to some imminent neighbours in attendance, not many take much notice of Rahil. He slips into the crowd, exchanges a few words and smiles with his Macho Cricket Club teammates before resting his 6'3 figure on the boundary wall of the ground-floor apartment. Rahil looked no less ambiguous at the Barabati Stadium in Cuttack back in December 2008, as he stepped onto the field as the Mumbai team's latest pace sensation. Not many, including a number of his teammates, really knew much about the fast bowler or his background for that matter. Rahil had after all emerged from absolute oblivion. Ū hadn't even played a serious cricket match till I was around 20, he recalls. His journey to the Ranji team had been a rather unique one. Instead of the traditional route of making a mark in school or club cricket, Rahil had shown his mettle in a reality show. And before he knew it, he had been fast-tracked into the Mumbai senior team. Built like a ramÃÕhough his physique seemed more lardy than muscular back thenÃÂnd having claimed the prize wicket of Andrew Flintoff in a practice game at thee Cricket Club of India (CCI), the sky seemed the limit for him. And Rahil even made a fair impression on debut, taking five wickets in all against a hapless Orissa outfit. The dream, however, only lasted close to nine months. Four first-class matches, ending with the Irani Cup tie in Nagpur, and 10 wickets later, Rahil had disappeared. He had arrived with a bang, and at the same rapid rate decamped back into obscurity. Just like that. The world or the Mumbai cricket circuit to be more precise has heard little of Rahil Shaikh ever since. Bar a few intermittent displays of his pace prowess in the local tournaments here and there. Rahil, now 27. though hasn't even made it to the Mumbai team probables list in the last couple of years. And despite having sent the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) selectors a reminder with a few notable performances in the Times Shield and Police Shield recently?7 wickets in allÃÕhe Mankhurd resident has failed to make enough noise to force a recall into the state team. Ūt is really disappointing to be honest. I have been working really hard on my bowling, and my wickets have come against some quality opposition. But the problem is nobody takes notice, says Rahil, who used to fix air-conditioners in his youth. His other jobs included being a temporary supervisor and keeping count of the trucks hired by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to clean the Mithi river. So how did a career which took off on such a high start retreating backwards so hastily? Speed-gun blazing It was his ability to send the speed-gun blazing that set him apart four years ago. It was also this gift of bowling extremely quick that led to his immediate downfall, according to Rahil himself. Ū used to hit batsmen on the head and get them to duck regularly while bowling in the indoor nets at BKC. But all I knew back then was to run in as fast as I could and bang the ball onto the wicket. I didn't know the benefits of pitching the ball up and trying to learn other tricks with the ball till after I was dropped from the team, explains Rahil, who even turned up for Mumbai Indians in an IPL match at Centurion back in 2009. Not having come up the ranks like his other contemporaries also proved to be bane. Rahil had to learn everything about the game and himself on his feet and at the highest level of domestic cricket. Å°ne day I was a tennis-ball bowler and suddenly I was bowling with leather balls inside a proper Stadium. I was really overawed to be honest. I hadn't played any age-level games nor ever turned up for a club. There I was making a Ranji debut not knowing about what I was doing there, says Rahil. Fitness woes Criticism about his bounteous girth and the apparent waistline weren't far away. And his unathleticism too was exposed very early on. For someone his age, Rahil just couldn't hold himself up on the field. Nor did he possess the fitness required to be a mainstream fast bowler for any extended period of time. ŵhose were days when I didn't know the importance of fitness or fielding. Hitting a gym was a huge pain, and I just couldn't get myself to go through the rigours. In club games, I used to bowl four overs and then go sit on the sidelines. I just wasn't fit enough, says Rahil. But life on the sidelines have taught Rahil a few valuable lessons. He now knows what is required to sustain himself at Ranji Trophy level. Rahil, these days, follows a strict fitness regiment. He looks fitter, and insists on being able to bowl long spells. Ū recently bowled close to 18 overs on the trot. I have understood the importance of fitness, and these days I also can swing the ball both ways. And moving the ball at my pace makes me a handful for any batsman, says Rahil. While he's continued to be ignored by the MCA selectors, Rahil has seem the emergence of a number of young fast bowlers who have gone onto play for Mumbai in his place. It's unlikely that Balwinder Singh Sandhu Jr, Javed Khan and Saurabh Netrawalkar would have made it to the Mumbai team as easily if Rahil had mended his ways back when the spotlight was on him. But with his pace, the big-built pacer can still boast of being amongst the quickest bowlers in the city. And with a few more impressive showings in the local circuit, Rahil could even hope for that elusive recall. Ū've given it my all in the last couple of years and tried my best to better my skills and fitness. Now I can only hope that the selectors regain their trust in me, he says. But when you are Rahil Shaikh, nothing really can be ruled out. Such has been the fickle nature of his truly unique cricket career. The management of promising players especially fast bowlers is so poor in India that most players are lost, this is the reason although being a huge country with immense potential we are not the best there is, Rahil came to the scene with pace, left hander bowling at 140 plus, and bounce to add, BCCI , NCA did not take him under their wings or mentor him, Pawan Suyal, Kamran Khan, Tyagi, Gony, VRV, Parmeswaran, RP, so many bowlers who had the potential but are languishing in mediocricity rather then making progress and becoming world class either due to improper injury management or mentoring. Bowlers like Tyagi, VRV, Gony who have played for India why aren't they looked after, why wont they get a chance to make a comeback like Australians, they should be given a go on A tours, if these bowlers were playing for Australia or England their future would be different, they monitor the players continuously there is a road map for recuperation of injured players for raw talents and also for players who make an impressive debut at a older age, feel Anwar Ahmed will go the same way unless someone takes a good look at him.

Same story as usual. Can't really see what the use of NCA or MRF pace academy really is. If they can't take youngsters under their wings and groom them, then there's not much use of them. We have seen likes of Ishant, Sreesanth, RP, Munaf, VRV Singh, Irfan etc. hit the wall and never improve - in fact they went in the opposite direction. If these so called "cricketing academies" can't help youngsters then shut them off and hire people/consultants who know their stuff. get people in from SA, Aus and Eng who actually know who to mentor fast bowlers and help youngsters and upcoming bowlers take the next step. I have yet to hear of even 1 single example where these academies actually helped a fast bowler in need. Zaheer Khan is the only bowler who successfully was able to turn around his form and career when he was dropped from the Indian team and the irony is that he didn't go to these national and pace academies but played a season of county cricket :sad: It's an indictment of our cricketing infrastructure that our national academies couldn't even help someone like Zaheer Khan when apparently folks at a county (was it Worcestershire?) were able to sort him out within a season :hatsoff: I say fire folks at NCA and MRF pace academy and get folks in from that county to replace them or poach top talent from Australia's pace academy as at least they are able to turn out folks like Pattinson and turn around folks like Hilfenhaus.

Bowlers need constant monitoring and that is the most critical part, there is no support structure guidance to the bowlers at the level that is required,a bowler with potential has to be nurtured guided, if injured or out of form should be guided. In India the trend is most bowlers that have promise are lost in the domestic circuit either not fit enough , or injury or not guided enough to improve, England is the best country for bowlers right now , the way they take care of their bowlers,Pawan Suyal, VRV, Tyagi, Rahil,and countless other bowlers arrived with potential now languishing at the bottom trying to find their way, also bowlers are picked up for one series then discarded like Gony was.

very high energy DIET, Muscle bulding Exercise and lot of Running is Must for FAST Bowling I am not sure whether Most of our So called Would be Fast bowlers know the most essential requirements of fast bowling- Great high energy DIET by which I mean Veg or non Veg or Milk product related what evr but this guy should be one who is blessed as far as DIET is concerned if he is one of those who is deprived of high energy food- this guy will sooner then later become week, lOose energy and will end up being a medium pacer after one or 2 years of fast bowling- I feel All India fast bowlers possibly are deprived of hgh energy diet in their formative years and its during their Teen Age when muscles devlop ....I feel Zak and Umesh are the slightly Bright Spot except that all others look a bit week.......see the case of Dinda and Ishant - both have great potential as fast bowlers but I feel they did not grow physically strong ....its normally the Jat and Punjabi Boys who are gOod on it.....VRV and Gony seem to be good on this- I mean good Physique and Diet during Formative years. Weights - lifting weights builds muscles which helps in giving strength to your bowling Arm which helps- Excess of weights is harmful......just twice a week 1 hour a day of weights is More than enough. Seamless Running- a fast bowler shud run as if he is running on water....... Do u guys remember Malcom Marshall or our Ajit Agarkar during his early days and our small Pocket Dynamo Chetan Sharma......these guys used to run well and generate speed. Agarkar with his tiny frame generated 147K pace during his peak with just a proper run Up....chetan was nearly a DWARF but generated 142+ with his run Up and Marshall is well Known....... Guys should be natural Sprinters not pone"s who don't like runnning...... Its Quite Simple if one does the 3 things right and Just Rotate his Arm and bowl with a bit of shoulder- he will be able to Bowl Fast......