WC 2011: Trying out Sehwag at #4

zen

Not in the WC, but I think that might be the way forward in tests, to bat at 5. Get in someone totally new like Mukund or Rahane as he has opened for Mumbai a lot...Vijay is an FTB. In England I fear Sehwag will be pwnd by Anderson and his movement as an opener. Drop Dravid for Kohli while were at it. On a side note I hope he just reitres from ODI cricket after WC along with SRT and Zaheer.

Let's use this thread to see how Sehwag goes abt in this world cup as an ODI opener. He is one of my favorite players and I want him to get going and hit big 100s. But it's just that against good bowling sides and w/ packed in-field, I see that the chances of him hitting a big one is the same as him getting out early or to a quick 30 odd, which doesn't help in the overall scheme of things. And ofc that (getting out after a quick 30) makes GG and Kohli bat up anyways. If that's going to be the case then there is no harm in moving GG and Kohli up and having Sehwag come in at 4 (and in the game) rather than out of the game early on. We have to keep our options open! Against Test playing nations: 1. BD - 175 2. ENg - 30 odd 3. SA - 4. WI Against Associates: 1. Ireland - 5 2. Netherlands - Really hoping for Sehwag to fire :hail: but if he doesn't then we know there is another way to utilize him :--D

Sehwag should always open the innings because in India, 1) wickets are good for batting and attacking batsmen like Sehwag and Sachin should get to play the full quota of overs. 2) Sehwag doesnt play the singles game. He likes to score boundaries. Every time he gets stifled or doesnt get quick runs, he plays a bad shot. If he comes in at 4, he has to bat in the middle overs where he has to take more singles and chances are, he will get out. 3) he gives a very good start for India at a high strike rate even on slow wickets because he is a very aggressive batsman. He puts the bowlers on the back foot from ball one and sets a tempo which can be used by the following batsmen. If he stays for 10 overs, the score will cross 60. The OP can forget about this. There are more chances of Namibia winning the world cup than Sehwag dropping down to 4 in this world cup.

Sehwag should always open the innings because in India, 1) wickets are good for batting and attacking batsmen like Sehwag and Sachin should get to play the full quota of overs. 2) Sehwag doesnt play the singles game. He likes to score boundaries. Every time he gets stifled or doesnt get quick runs, he plays a bad shot. If he comes in at 4, he has to bat in the middle overs where he has to take more singles and chances are, he will get out. 3) he gives a very good start for India at a high strike rate even on slow wickets because he is a very aggressive batsman. He puts the bowlers on the back foot from ball one and sets a tempo which can be used by the following batsmen. If he stays for 10 overs, the score will cross 60. The OP can forget about this. There are more chances of Namibia winning the world cup than Sehwag dropping down to 4 in this world cup.
Dude, we know why he opens! That's not the question :winky: Also is not abt what chance he has of dropping down the order but an option Ind should consider if he is only getting a quick 30 more often than not. If you want to discuss whats likely to happen, please refer to cricinfo's probable list. This is more about looking at things from 360 degrees and analysing different option to see if there is another way Ind can benefit .... And it is not like I don't want Sehwag to open too (uff, didn't know I have to write such basic stuff here)

I think the main folks involved in this decision - Dhoni and Sehwag will never agree upon the idea of Sehwag batting at #4. We get into these arguments after some low scores after a 175. I think we should continue with the present batting order and we will do just fine.