Just bought the Kindle

King Tendulkar

I am planning to get a Kindle. It will be my first Kindle so i would be glad to have some more information. Looking to get the basic version as of now so i shortlisted this Kindle Wi-Fi 6Inch E Ink (Costing - INR 5669) http://www.snapdeal.com/product/kindle-wifi-6inch-e-ink/904027766 Is it available at any major retail electronic outlets in Mumbai or do i have to order it online only. Downloading eBooks will mostly be planned prior to travel . Moreover, my experience is that all hotels provide Wi FI across all cities that i have traveled. So WI-Fi connectivity is not an issue at all whether i am at home, work or tour. If for some odd reason i cannot read a book on Kindle for few days or week, heavens won't fall.I mean it won't have significant impact on anything if the storage space is less, if the battery / standby charge is good even for few days. Well, at the moment i have plans of keeping 10 books maximum, related to my profession. From the browsing i have done, i gather that Kindle has about 1.25 GB of usable memory, which is more than enough for my reading plans for the near future. Storage space is not a issue at all for me. I may read some news paper on Kindle when the computer is switched off , especially if i am too lazy to start the computer just for purpose of reading news at a glance. Is there a web browser installed which i can use to browse a newspaper website. Or can i read news papers only by subscribing to them. Can i transfer my pdf or word documents from computer to Kindle using the USB cable and read them on Kindle? Can i download eBooks to computer and then transfer to Kindle and read them? Or is it just that Kindle allows only to download using WIFI? Are the eBook formats are readable on computer as well using some free or paid software?

yes you can transfer your own pdfs and read them . I have paperwhite which I baught couple of months back , though I have not used it as much as I would have liked to . I baught it from croma , also avalable in other outlets like Reliance etc .

I am planning to get a Kindle. It will be my first Kindle so i would be glad to have some more information. Looking to get the basic version as of now so i shortlisted this Kindle Wi-Fi 6Inch E Ink (Costing - INR 5669) http://www.snapdeal.com/product/kindle-wifi-6inch-e-ink/904027766 Is it available at any major retail electronic outlets in Mumbai or do i have to order it online only. Downloading eBooks will mostly be planned prior to travel . Moreover, my experience is that all hotels provide Wi FI across all cities that i have traveled. So WI-Fi connectivity is not an issue at all whether i am at home, work or tour. If for some odd reason i cannot read a book on Kindle for few days or week, heavens won't fall.I mean it won't have significant impact on anything if the storage space is less, if the battery / standby charge is good even for few days. Well, at the moment i have plans of keeping 10 books maximum, related to my profession. From the browsing i have done, i gather that Kindle has about 1.25 GB of usable memory, which is more than enough for my reading plans for the near future. Storage space is not a issue at all for me. I may read some news paper on Kindle when the computer is switched off , especially if i am too lazy to start the computer just for purpose of reading news at a glance. Is there a web browser installed which i can use to browse a newspaper website. Or can i read news papers only by subscribing to them. Can i transfer my pdf or word documents from computer to Kindle using the USB cable and read them on Kindle? Can i download eBooks to computer and then transfer to Kindle and read them? Or is it just that Kindle allows only to download using WIFI? Are the eBook formats are readable on computer as well using some free or paid software?
I think the one you want (the basic version) is available online only - the new version (paperwhite) is available in croma and other stores. So I think you will have to order on Amazon. It has an experimental browser but its really only for basic stuff. You will find it hard to read newspapers on that. So I guess you will have to subscribe to newspapers to read. Here are the Indian newspapers available currently - http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2237319011 You can transfer pdf documents directly but in many cases there is a problem in reading pdf on kindle because the font is too small and if you zoom in then it does not fill the page....as for word docs, form what I know you cannot directly send them. There is a simple solution to both these problems. There is a "Send to kindle" option for Windows/Mac/Chrome/Firefox/Android. Suppose you want to use this for windows then you just download the software (link - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201238330) and whatever document you want to send, just right click on that and choose "send to kindle" in the options. The document will be sent to amazon and there they will convert it in the suitable format and send it to your kindle via wi-fi. There is NO charge for this service over Wifi (there is a small charge if you use 3g but the kindle you are buying doesn't have 3g so you don't have to worry about that). Read more about sending documents to kindle here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_pdoc_main_short_us?nodeId=200767340 Yes you can download books to PC and tranfer them to kindle using USB cable. BUT only MOBI/AZW/PDF can work on the kindle (and as I said earlier, pdf does not work well so you might have to use "send to kindle" for that). Many of the ebooks you will download might be in EPUB format or some other formats not supported by kindle - there is a great software called "Calibre" to convert books across formats so use that to convert unsupported formats into kindle supported MOBI format. Yes. For MOBI/AZW formats (these are kindle supported) you can download the Kindle app from amazon website - its the best one for reading kindle supported formats on PC. For reading EPUB you can download "Adobe Digital Editions" software. For PDF there is pdf reader.

yes you can transfer your own pdfs and read them . I have paperwhite which I baught couple of months back , though I have not used it as much as I would have liked to . I baught it from croma , also avalable in other outlets like Reliance etc .
Thanks for the info.
I think the one you want (the basic version) is available online only - the new version (paperwhite) is available in croma and other stores. So I think you will have to order on Amazon. It has an experimental browser but its really only for basic stuff. You will find it hard to read newspapers on that. So I guess you will have to subscribe to newspapers to read. Here are the Indian newspapers available currently - http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2237319011 You can transfer pdf documents directly but in many cases there is a problem in reading pdf on kindle because the font is too small and if you zoom in then it does not fill the page....as for word docs, form what I know you cannot directly send them. There is a simple solution to both these problems. There is a "Send to kindle" option for Windows/Mac/Chrome/Firefox/Android. Suppose you want to use this for windows then you just download the software (link - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201238330) and whatever document you want to send, just right click on that and choose "send to kindle" in the options. The document will be sent to amazon and there they will convert it in the suitable format and send it to your kindle via wi-fi. There is NO charge for this service over Wifi (there is a small charge if you use 3g but the kindle you are buying doesn't have 3g so you don't have to worry about that). Read more about sending documents to kindle here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_pdoc_main_short_us?nodeId=200767340 Yes you can download books to PC and tranfer them to kindle using USB cable. BUT only MOBI/AZW/PDF can work on the kindle (and as I said earlier, pdf does not work well so you might have to use "send to kindle" for that). Many of the ebooks you will download might be in EPUB format or some other formats not supported by kindle - there is a great software called "Calibre" to convert books across formats so use that to convert unsupported formats into kindle supported MOBI format. Yes. For MOBI/AZW formats (these are kindle supported) you can download the Kindle app from amazon website - its the best one for reading kindle supported formats on PC. For reading EPUB you can download "Adobe Digital Editions" software. For PDF there is pdf reader.
Thanks for the relevant information. My concern is that i would be reading PDFs as well, which as mentioned many not be viewed properly on Kindle.

Just read the Kindle is better for reading in sunlight due to lack of glare whereas backlit are better for reading in dim lit environment. I would be using it at home so there would be obviously less sunlight as compared to outdoors. Would the backlit be a better option in this case ? How is Kindles basic models display in conditions where there is less sunlight?

Thanks for the relevant information. My concern is that i would be reading PDFs as well, which as mentioned many not be viewed properly on Kindle.
:two_thumbs_up: As I said earlier, in case of PDFs the problem is that the formatting just doesn't work so it becomes cumbersome to read. You can use the "send to kindle" option and send the pdfs to amazon - they will convert it into kindle supported format. If you are reading documents related to your office then obviously they will be in PDF/Word but if you want books then in most cases the books these days are available in MOBI/EPUB so they would work perfectly (in case of EPUB you would have to convert it into MOBI isung Calibre).
got the kindle fire last year. hate it! budget is the only reason to buy it for a person under 30 nexus is best of both worlds. cheap and awesome
Kindle Fire really is for those people who are into the amazon ecosystem and use Amazon Prime to get their digital content. As for Nexus 7, of course its a fantastic tablet, especially at such a low price.
Just read the Kindle is better for reading in sunlight due to lack of glare whereas backlit are better for reading in dim lit environment. I would be using it at home so there would be obviously less sunlight as compared to outdoors. Would the backlit be a better option in this case ? How is Kindles basic models display in conditions where there is less sunlight?
Kindle is THE best device to read ebooks in all conditions. Period. In sunlight if you read it for 10-15 minutes then you will completely forget that you are reading an ebook - it feels so much like a real book!!! The backlit one (kindle paperwhite) is definitely better for reading in dimlight because its backlit but even in the basic one you can just get a reading light (link - http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=reading%20light%20).... The basic kindle you are getting is 2 generations older than the Kindle Paperwhite so the paperwhite is definitely better in certain aspects - it is backlit (thats the biggest advantage IMO), its a touchscreen so its more convenient to use, has double the battery life etc. But I currently have the Kindle Touch (the model that came in between the basic kindle and the kindle paperwhite) and it is not backlit - unless the light in the room is really dim, I don't have any problems in reading so I guess you also won't have that much of a problem. BTW if you are looking for a kindle paperwhite then its Rs 11000 on amazon while its 10000 on croma.....

:two_thumbs_up: As I said earlier, in case of PDFs the problem is that the formatting just doesn't work so it becomes cumbersome to read. You can use the "send to kindle" option and send the pdfs to amazon - they will convert it into kindle supported format. If you are reading documents related to your office then obviously they will be in PDF/Word but if you want books then in most cases the books these days are available in MOBI/EPUB so they would work perfectly (in case of EPUB you would have to convert it into MOBI isung Calibre). Kindle Fire really is for those people who are into the amazon ecosystem and use Amazon Prime to get their digital content. As for Nexus 7, of course its a fantastic tablet, especially at such a low price. Kindle is THE best device to read ebooks in all conditions. Period. In sunlight if you read it for 10-15 minutes then you will completely forget that you are reading an ebook - it feels so much like a real book!!! The backlit one (kindle paperwhite) is definitely better for reading in dimlight because its backlit but even in the basic one you can just get a reading light (link - http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=reading%20light%20).... The basic kindle you are getting is 2 generations older than the Kindle Paperwhite so the paperwhite is definitely better in certain aspects - it is backlit (thats the biggest advantage IMO), its a touchscreen so its more convenient to use, has double the battery life etc. But I currently have the Kindle Touch (the model that came in between the basic kindle and the kindle paperwhite) and it is not backlit - unless the light in the room is really dim, I don't have any problems in reading so I guess you also won't have that much of a problem. BTW if you are looking for a kindle paperwhite then its Rs 11000 on amazon while its 10000 on croma.....
Thanks again. But then the paperwhite (backlit) model will defeat the purpose of opting for Kindle over reading on tablets. Doesn't it? if one is opting for backlit then why not go for the tablets which might even serve more purpose than just reading. Is the Kindle touch model still available. I think the best way is to visit the electronic retail store and check out the models in person.

Thanks again. But then the paperwhite (backlit) model will defeat the purpose of opting for Kindle over reading on tablets. Doesn't it? if one is opting for backlit then why not go for the tablets which might even serve more purpose than just reading. Is the Kindle touch model still available. I think the best way is to visit the electronic retail store and check out the models in person.
If you want a pure and simple reading experience then you should go for kindle but if you want more from your device then a tablet is the better choice. But I still say that - if you want an ebook reader then kindle is the best option. No. Yeah....that's the best option. Go to chroma or some other place and try it out...

If you want a pure and simple reading experience then you should go for kindle but if you want more from your device then a tablet is the better choice. But I still say that - if you want an ebook reader then kindle is the best option. No. Yeah....that's the best option. Go to chroma or some other place and try it out...
I just now tried reading an ebook on my SP using ebook reader software. Not comfortable on eyes for sure due to the white backlit. So paperwhite kindle too won't be good for me as it has backlit as well. Maybe i will go for the basic model without backlit. Will try demo reading on kindle at store and then it would be much better to decide.

I just now tried reading an ebook on my SP using ebook reader software. Not comfortable on eyes for sure due to the white backlit. So paperwhite kindle too won't be good for me as it has backlit as well. Maybe i will go for the basic model without backlit. Will try demo reading on kindle at store and then it would be much better to decide.
Despite being backlit, Kindle is different from tablets/phones because it has e ink. That gives a far better reading experience than mobile etc and is easier on the eye as well. Yup...do that.

Despite being backlit, Kindle is different from tablets/phones because it has e ink. That gives a far better reading experience than mobile etc and is easier on the eye as well. Yup...do that.
Thanks. Does the Kindle supports basic diagrams. The books that i have purchased and will need in future are better explained with diagram. Skipping those diagrams is certainly not a option for me. The diagrams are black and white / monochrome color.