Best delivery you have seen

Ultimately, isnt this all just contextual ? A ball is only as good as the batsman allows it to be...
Indeed. First sentence, yes. Second sentence, not exactly although I can see where you're coming from. Many of the best balls I've seen haven't got wickets. Either the batsman was equally as good or the ball was simply 'too good' to take the edge or missed the stumps by a whisker after completely beating the batsman. Warney's so called 'ball of the century' to Gatting was more about the impact it had than anything else. Sure, it was a pearler of a delivery but he bowls dozens of those in every visit to the bowling crease. Thousands in his career. I pick Pigeon's hat trick ball to Jimmy Adams as my selection. Short leg in. Pitched on leg. Steepled and cut in. Fended off to the fieldsman. Hatty. :wink_smile:

Donny, I do not agree with you. I do not think that the Jimmy Adams ball was very good. I do not think it was intended and the nerves placed the ball there. Some great balls I have seen were in the first test of the 05 Ashes. McGrath got lots of movement and bowled alot of the top order. That was brilliant to watch. That slower ball from Harmsion to Clarke late in the day in the 2nd test was amazing. It was perfect and Clarke did not pick it. It just about drilled all the Aussies hopes of a win. We all know what happened on the next day though! :P

Donny' date=' I do not agree with you. I do not think that the Jimmy Adams ball was very good. I do not think it was intended and the nerves placed the ball there.[/quote'] Any reason for that thought, mate? I think you need to remember who you are referring to. Of all Test bowlers who ever played the game, he's one of the first mentioned when it comes to control.
_1049620_campbell300.jpgSherwin Campbell - Caught by Ricky Ponting. _1049620_1waca300.jpgBrian Lara - Caught by Stuart McGill. _1049620_waca300.jpgJimmy Adams - Caught by Justin Langer. The remarkable thing about this hat trick was McGrath's before Test prediction of Campbell and Lara being his 299th. and 300th. Test wickets. Adams wicket was the icing on the cake.
Indeed. First sentence, yes. Second sentence, not exactly although I can see where you're coming from. Many of the best balls I've seen haven't got wickets. Either the batsman was equally as good or the ball was simply 'too good' to take the edge or missed the stumps by a whisker after completely beating the batsman.
that's quite right! I have seen Wasim bowl some breathtaking spells in WI and SL with out picking any wickets.

one of the best balls, i have ever seen has to be Aggy's peach at Kallis.... what a facking delivery.... a 140kph delivery which pitches on a perfect length on the middle, angling towards leg, swinging away towards off at the last min, squared him up and took out the offstump..... DAMN.... tht was orgasmic...

It is difficult to select just one because of the reasons mentioned in my previous post but ones that readily come to mind are: Dennis Lillee bowling Viv Richards with the last ball of the day to leave them on 4 for 10 at stumps. The next day he went on to innings figures of 7 for 83, and his dismissal of Larry Gomes saw him pass Lance Gibbs' then record of 309 Test wickets. Dale Steyn bowling Michael Vaughan in the first Test of the 2004 series in SA. Kapil Dev completely outwitting Dean Jones with 2 deliveries and then dismissing him with the third. All pearlers. Warney bowling Shiv Chanderpaul with a ball pitched so far wide off off stump, it was almost off the actual playing surface.