Rahul Dravid - Greatest Indian Batsman? A profile of the stylish master...

Robelinda

Indeed. Inzi had no clue against Australia and SA, no clue. And if there was ever someone who benefitted the most from home umpires it was Inzi. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr_Dvyls8tg]WORST UMPIRE AGAIN!!! INZAMAM PLUMB LBW, BUT NOT OUT vs ENGLAND - YouTube[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHzax-alxb4]"THE" WORST UMPIRE OF ALL TIME- 2 PLUMB LBW's NOT GIVEN IN PAKISTAN 1998- MCGRATH - YouTube[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPoCY8C2Oc4]MORE RETARDED PAKISTAN UMPIRING - INZI PLUMB LBW "A G A I N"!!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

I see your point mate! One day I shall convince myself to enjoy RD's batting. Do not know when that day will arrive. I am in complete agreement with you on this. But for some reason when somebody even remotely tries to suggest that RD is greater than SRT, then somehow I get mad (Think post above is enough demonstration of that :winky:). If I wear a shrink's hat for a moment, I think, I find RD > SRT so outrageous that I subconsciously try to match that outrageous-ness by posting equally outrageous statement against RD. Your assessment seems spot on to my head but somehow my heart says, no he is a boring bat! I am fine with SRT being compared with Viv/Ponting/Lara/Inzy/Aravinda, for that matter our own Viru and VVS. Fair enough I think.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Dravid leagues ahead of these two. Inzy is a decent bat but he's a bit of an FTB plus home umpiring. Aravinda too a decent bat but nothing on Dravid. Ganguly is in the league of these two.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Dravid leagues ahead of these two. Inzy is a decent bat but he's a bit of an FTB plus home umpiring. Aravinda too a decent bat but nothing on Dravid. Ganguly is in the league of these two.
Dravid leagues ahead of Lara :blink:

How did you assume I was going by his records :confused: He was not a bad batsman' date=' good against spinners. Used to come down the pitch and used his feet well and played powerful shots down the ground. Against pacers his leg side shots were decent but off side play left much to be desired when you want to compare him with ATGs There is daylight between SRT, Lara, Punter and the likes of Inzi.
News to me! I have found him equally strong on both sides and both front/back foot. He had excellent cut, cover drive. Best part was his footwork. More often than not he used to get in line of the ball and play his shots. Contrast that with that awkward flourish that RD engages himself in on balls which are slightly high and slightly away from off stump. One of the ugliest sights on cricketing field for me. That waving a bat like a dirty broom. Yuk! Dragging the ball on to stumps. Yuk again!. No on-the-rise shots. No back foot punches against pace bowlers. Accept it or not, you hail RD great because of the numbers. RD with 8-9K test runs would not have appeared on your greatness radar. C'mon don't be shy, Ganesh!

News to me! I have found him equally strong on both sides and both front/back foot. He had excellent cut' date=' cover drive. Best part was his footwork. More often than not he used to get in line of the ball and play his shots. Contrast that with that awkward flourish that RD engages himself in on balls which are slightly high and slightly away from off stump. One of the ugliest sights on cricketing field for me. That waving a bat like a dirty broom. Yuk! Dragging the ball on to stumps. Yuk again!. No on-the-rise shots. No back foot punches against pace bowlers. Accept it or not, you hail RD great because of the numbers. RD with 8-9K test runs would not have appeared on your greatness radar. C'mon don't be shy, Ganesh![/quote'] You are busting a strawman here. My smileys were in response to your placing Inzi and Aravinda in the same league as SRT, Lara and Ponting which is absurd. Numbers arent the only guage for a batsman, but they certainly arent inconsequential. When you rate Bradman as number one, you rely on his numbers more than anything else given the limited footage of his batting available. I dont rate either Inzi or RD among all time greats. That being said, I do rate RD higher than Inzi. Inzi's strengh was that he used to get behind the ball early and read the length very well. Leg side play was his strength. his cover drive and square drive were rudimentary compared to say SRT and Lara who could get in perfect position to play these shots. I dont know how the myth of his being great against quality pace came into being given that he has never done well in English, Aus or Saffer conditions. In contrast RD is a far more technically sound batsman and looks much more compact while playing his shots. Poking outside off stump was a technical issue he faced during a phase in his career but he has rectified it now. Other than that very little fault can be found with his offside play. Square drives, late cuts, cover drive. Head still, leaning forward, gets the front foot forward while bending the back leg and middles the ball - picturesque to say the least.

@ganesh My list of great batsmen in particular order, so that you get a feel how I rate batsmen: 1. DGB 2. SRT 3. Viv 4. Lara 5. Sobers 6. Inzy 7. Ponting 8. Aravinda 9. VVS 10. Viru Care to share your list? So that I understand how you rate batsmen (numbers or otherwise )
I will limit my rating to Modern day cricketers as I have not seen enough of DGB and cricketers of yesteryear. Need to go to Robelinda's channel more often :winky: Tier 1 : SRT, Lara, Ponting of Yore Tier 2: RD, JK Tier 3: VVS, Mahela, Sanga, Inzi

I will limit my rating to Modern day cricketers as I have not seen enough of DGB and cricketers of yesteryear Tier 1 : SRT, Lara, Ponting of Yore Tier 2: RD, JK Tier 3: VVS, Mahela, Sanga, Inzi
Inzi will be in Tier 4 imo. His avg is inflated due to home umpiring and he's a FTB and I am not saying this cause he's Paki. Even Mahela I believe should be Tier 4. Inzi can't dream of playing the innings the likes of VVS and Sanga have played.

i think this program was made when he was playing for kent. good release, robert. and dravid isnt the greatest indian batsman. if he had scored more runs against the best bowlers, then we could talk about that but he usually failed in series against australia when facing mcgrath and warne (1999/00 and 2004/05) and against quality south african bowlers at home and away from home (1999/00, 2000/01, 2006/07, 2010/11). tendulkar and gavaskar are much better

I will limit my rating to Modern day cricketers as I have not seen enough of DGB and cricketers of yesteryear. Need to go to Robelinda's channel more often :winky: Tier 1 : SRT, Lara, Ponting of Yore Tier 2: RD, JK Tier 3: VVS, Mahela, Sanga, Inzi
Fair enough I guess. I would swap RD and Inzi there :winky:

i think this program was made when he was playing for kent. good release, robert. and dravid isnt the greatest indian batsman. if he had scored more runs against the best bowlers, then we could talk about that but he usually failed in series against australia when facing mcgrath and warne (1999/00 and 2004/05) and against quality south african bowlers at home and away from home (1999/00, 2000/01, 2006/07, 2010/11). tendulkar and gavaskar are much better
He scored a fantastic 160 odd at Kolkata in 2001 mate against McGrath and Warne.

I dont rate either Inzi or RD among all time greats. That being said, I do rate RD higher than Inzi. Inzi's strengh was that he used to get behind the ball early and read the length very well. Leg side play was his strength. his cover drive and square drive were rudimentary compared to say SRT and Lara who could get in perfect position to play these shots. I dont know how the myth of his being great against quality pace came into being given that he has never done well in English, Aus or Saffer conditions.
RD might not be the best indian batsman but he certainly is an all time great.I can only think of two batsman who have been better than him in the last 20 years!

RD might not be the best indian batsman but he certainly is an all time great.I can only think of two batsman who have been better than him in the last 20 years!
Depends on who all are there in your ATG list. For me the only 3 batting ATGs in modern cricket are SRT, Lara and Ponting. All are ahead of RD. Its not only the runs and averages but also the fluency and the strokemaking that counts.

difference b/w SRT and Dravid was that SRT could hit even very good deliveries for boundaries.That's why despite having good technique and temperament RD couldn't score as much as SRT did. But he is an ATG of the game. So elegant to watch and won us some good test matches , nothing bad in being mentioned just after god. :winky:

He is a genius at putting spectators (in stadia or otherwise) to sleep. Sorry folks couldn't resist myself. I rate him alongside Shastri, Manjrekar et al.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: