Emburey to be indian coach?

The hunt for India's coach Emburey is second man on BCCI list Siddhartha Vaidyanathan June 5, 2007 spacer.gif12513.jpg?alt= John Emburey: on the Indian board's list for the coaching job © Getty Images John Emburey, the former England offspinner, is the second candidate for India's coaching job, it has been reliably learnt. Emburey joins former South African coach Graham Ford in the running for the coach's position and is expected to be called to Chennai for discussions on June 9. The Indian board has spoken to Emburey and is expected to send him an e-mail, with more details, sometime today. The board had announced on Monday that it had narrowed down the search to Ford and "a foreigner whose availability could not be ascertained". The fact that Emburey has been sounded out about an "offer" indicates that he is the second candidate in the running. Emburey played 64 Tests for England between 1978 and 1995, ending with a modest 147 wickets at 38.4. He was, however, considered a model pro on the county circuit with 1608 wickets in a career that spanned 24 years. However, he hasn't tasted much success as a coach. He served as a player-coach in Northamptonshire and then Middlesex. Last season he became Director of Cricket at Middlesex, responsible for coaching and selection, but oversaw a forgettable season with the county being relegated after finishing last in the Championship and the one-day leagues. He has been replaced by Richard Pybus

The hunt for India's coach Emburey is second man on BCCI list Emburey played 64 Tests for England between 1978 and 1995, ending with a modest 147 wickets at 38.4. He was, however, considered a model pro on the county circuit with 1608 wickets in a career that spanned 24 years. However, he hasn't tasted much success as a coach. He served as a player-coach in Northamptonshire and then Middlesex. Last season he became Director of Cricket at Middlesex, responsible for coaching and selection, but oversaw a forgettable season with the county being relegated after finishing last in the Championship and the one-day leagues.
Any reason why is he being considered then? Just to make up the numbers?

He's nothing special Emburey. Struggled with Middlesex. I so hope its Ford, that guy will be good for us. His rec is top and seems low key in a Wright-esque way, which is what we need after Greg being the centre of the show for so long.

Reminds me of the exam days in college! We did not study for exams, then just at the midnight someone would get the question paper, supposed to appear the next day, in the exams. An hour later we would get another paper. This would continue till morning. By this time we had studied 4-5 different sets and had still no idea what would happen in the exams. Same with BCCI. No homework for 4-5 months and then this. By the way don't ask if I(or how I) passed... :devil_smile: xxxx

Reminds me of the exam days in college! We did not study for exams, then just at the midnight someone would get the question paper, supposed to appear the next day, in the exams. An hour later we would get another paper. This would continue till morning. By this time we had studied 4-5 different sets and had still no idea what would happen in the exams. Same with BCCI. No homework for 4-5 months and then this. By the way don't ask if I(or how I) passed... :devil_smile: xxxx
Looks like you lived in my area :hysterical:

What a faking joke. The coaches are sounded out from nowhere, without even the coaches applying for the position. BCCI has taken us to the era of Karikala Chola, when an elephant used to choose a random guy among the crowd & garlanded him as the next king. If Whatmore shaves off his mush, BCCI might send him an invite to apply for the coaching position, without knowing who he is.

BCCI has taken us to the era of Karikala Chola, when an elephant used to choose a random guy among the crowd & garlanded him as the next king.
:hysterical::hysterical: So true! What is so tragic that it would have been funny had it not been for India is that such "candidates" don't apply themselves but it is the BCCI, supposedly richest cricket body, that approaches these gentlemen. Everyone from Whatmore, Ford, Emburey seems to have been approached rather than having applied. xxx
Ford applied.
Predz. This is what I picked from Cricinfo. Ford himself wasn't burning any bridges just yet. "I'm really enjoying my time at Kent and particularly the team's recent success," he said. "The Indian Board has approached me in regard to their vacancy and I am grateful to the club for allowing me the chance to talk to them." http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/296987.html Also read somewhere else that Ravi Shastri had approached him too. xxx