Let's talk about the DRS

champ

I believe umpires bad decisions even itself out over time anyway, if you get a rough decision one test then next match you might get away with one, and honestly im sure hawkeye can be manipulated by the host broadcaster, sometimes it looks so wrong but because hawkeye says it everyone has to agree. So basically im not sure.

I believe umpires bad decisions even itself out over time anyway' date=' if you get a rough decision one test then next match you might get away with one, and honestly im sure [b']hawkeye can be manipulated by the host broadcaster, sometimes it looks so wrong but because hawkeye says it everyone has to agree. So basically im not sure.
if you start going into the direction of casting aspersions on host broadcasters, then basically you will have to start believing that the whole game is rigged. No one has to agree because Hawk eye said so, umpires are still entitled to make their own judgement.

I'm going to steal your line Boss, and say that there needs to be Checks and Balances. Umpires need to realize that there is a minimum standard they have to meet to be part of the elite panel, and the UDRS allows them to improve themselves and make the game more about the players and less about the umpires (I know they dont get enough appreciation, yada yada, etc. but c'mon - its the bowlers and batsman who're supposed to take the center stage, not the referees who're supposed to make sure that the game moves on). And Salil :mad: for showing a clip from that series. 5,6,7 thanks to Dharmasena :mad:

lol yes ... but this is to find out who people trust more (or if they would be peeved to see their beloved umpires stripped off their powers) and not what is the ideal solution. If in a hypothetical case you were to be asked to chose between the two .. who would you go for? thats the spirit of this poll.
May be the OP should be changed to reflect that. If you were to trust H/E or Umpire on a LBW who would you trust to get the decision right more often then not - H/E or Umpire

Oh damn, 21st century technology vs human estimation based on observation period of less than a second .. its so hard to decide :nervous: On second thoughts, its not like we use the same tech to predict the path of the fired shell miles apart from the gun, we have umpires for that :orderorder: Charm wins :finger:

I believe umpires bad decisions even itself out over time anyway, if you get a rough decision one test then next match you might get away with one, and honestly im sure hawkeye can be manipulated by the host broadcaster, sometimes it looks so wrong but because hawkeye says it everyone has to agree. So basically im not sure.
human vision can be fooled easily. hawkeye can too, but only in specific circumstances, where its not usually deemed right to be used anyway.

What a pointless poll. Kudos to those who actually took time off to vote in it. And beginning to think the words 'charm and randomness' are the umpiring equivalent of number crunching. Just like when people have no real arguments to put forward, they resort to that ridiculously silly game of averages of strike rates, maybe people with no real arguments either in favor or against the use of technology in umpiring, just keep repeating the words 'charm and randomness..'..:laugh:

Well said marris_mania! You summarized what I wanted to say - thanks. By the way my suggestion to Bossbhai originally was to find out how many want the 2 men in white coats out of the game and instead use only Hawkeye. Am I to understand that (at this current point) 24 people would like cricket to be played sans umpires but with Hawkeye? Just want to ensure that we are all on the same page.