What a visit to Pakistan revealed...

gator

Why is it so important to sing our own paens at everything, Gats, without regard for whether the rest of the world thinks that way or not? I'd like to think we can acknowledge other countries when they are better than us at some thing. I also don't buy this "we are the most intelligent race" thing. Thats just sooo parochial, sorry. Is there any evidence for that?

Also, what role do you think does the Indian mother play in her offsprings' success? It's no secret that erudite mothers produce super-erudite children. And even the most die-hard Pakistani would find it hard to dispel the notion that Indian women (this is the middle class I am talking about here) generally grow up in a more open, liberal society, with better opportunities for higher education, often without a glass ceiling, and this translates into little whizkids burning the midnight lamp by the time they are in their teens.
I beleive the role of the mothers can not be over-emphasised Dhondy. In fact you might have raised a very valid point here. See, mothers are not only responsible for giving values, making sure the kids gets education and so on. One of the key things a mother can do is to instill a sense of self-beleif in their kids. I would like to think an Indian mother is in a better position than her counterpart from across the border. And maybe there is a religious aspect to it too. I mean it is a rather fair statement that in Islam females are often treated as second-best, so imagine how a Pakistani woman raises her daughter? On the other hand there is no such compulsion in India. To be honest it was there before when boy childrens were treated as better, perhaps still are by some, but there were no religious sanctions a la one male witness equals two female witnesses. As a result the girl child would almost always have a better chance of success in India. It should thus be no surprise then that Muslim players like Sania Mirza have achieved success in India(not to mention tons of them in movie industry etc) as compared to Pakistan(or BD etc) where the entire population is overwhelming Muslim. xxx

I'd like to think we can acknowledge other countries when they are better than us at some thing.
But why the over compensation for some nations Dhondy? If we are better than some in some fields, what's wrong in stating it? Why should we understate our achievements and glorify others'?

Yup, proud to say that women have had equal voting rights as men in India since our nation was formalised on 15 August, 1947. Despite ushering in the dawn of the civilized world as a nation, women in Britain did not have that right till 1928.

But why the over compensation for some nations Dhondy? If we are better than some in some fields' date=' what's wrong in stating it? Why should we understate our achievements and glorify others'?[/quote'] bingo, Gambo.... Dhonds let out a blanket statement saying we lag in all physical sports.... i painstakingly prove him otherwise either for his own benefit or as a rebuttal.... but now, Dhonds, u are asking me why should u be parochial.... u seem more keen on appeasing the paakis, even though it is despite facts... no-one can argue with tht.... and yes, jus for the heck of it, i let out a blanket statement saying indians are the most intelligent race.... now, u want proof for this blanket statement, eh?

But why the over compensation for some nations Dhondy? If we are better than some in some fields' date=' what's wrong in stating it? Why should we understate our achievements and glorify others'?[/quote'] Gambo, why do we find it so difficult to acknowledge anything that Pakistan achieves? Does it not betray a weakness in us? You go to the average Joe Boggs on the street in UK or Australia and ask him which of the two Asian teams has a better pedigree in cricket or hockey- what do you think his answer will be?

u seem more keen on appeasing the paakis, even though it is despite facts... no-one can argue with tht....
Gator. Appeasment is too strong a word in my opinion. Maybe Dhondy was hinting specifically about cricket and hockey but chose the wrong words? Knowing the chap I am would be more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt to him. Also call me old fashioned but I do beleive in that whole - pride comes before fall - philosphy. We are good at certain areas is it not a great feeling in itself? Why do we have to neccessarily bring down Pakistanis to celebrate that? Truth be told both countries suck at sports so why this hurry to suggest we are a better sporting country in the whole SAARC area. xxx

Gator. Appeasment is too strong a word in my opinion. Maybe Dhondy was hinting specifically about cricket and hockey but chose the wrong words? Knowing the chap I am would be more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt to him. Also call me old fashioned but I do beleive in that whole - pride comes before fall - philosphy. We are good at certain areas is it not a great feeling in itself? Why do we have to neccessarily bring down Pakistanis to celebrate that? Truth be told both countries suck at sports so why this hurry to suggest we are a better sporting country in the whole SAARC area. xxx
Lurks... it was jus a response to Dhond's statement tht they were better at sport.... i jus laid down the facts... secondly, cricket and hockey are not the only sports which require passion and anger - watever tht means... hence, a need for dhonds to correct his blanket statement....

I didn't bring the "physical" bit into it' date=' Gats. I just referred to passion and anger.[/quote'] Dhonds, here was ur blanket statement....
On the other hand, Pakistanis are historically better than us at many sports, such as cricket, hockey and squash. I believe this is because sport is largely an instinctive pursuit, where passion and anger play a big part.
i showed many more sports where we are better with proper facts as well as our current performances being better....... and i havent heard anything from u about that, yet apart from hand-waving...

Gats, I have never thought of myself as an appeaser of any sort. It's true, i don't like conflict, can't handle it in real life or on internet forums, but never felt I went out of my way to be partial to anybody, least of all Pakistan. You know what a bitter critic I have been of their cricket team in the past, when the opportunity has presented itself. I don't agree with their religious excesses, their treatment of women, etc But how is it mature to insist that we are better at just about everything under the sun? That's almost juvenile, isn't it?

But how is it mature to insist that we are better at just about everything under the sun? That's almost juvenile, isn't it?
but u implied tht first, but the other way, Dhonds..... left to myself, i would have given credit... but i need to make it balanced by going to the other extreme... and secondly, i didnt imply our greatness by putting them down.... i jus laid out the facts...

Anyway, I realize we Indians are an emotional lot, and I am fast losing any friends I had with my scathing post on India in the wake of the Ford fiasco, and now this thread, so I'll just shut up and quit while I am only a couple of miles behind, instead of being kicked to smithereens by angry compatriots.:tounge_smile:

Gambo, why do we find it so difficult to acknowledge anything that Pakistan achieves? Does it not betray a weakness in us?
Dhondy, why are you so apologetic about our achievements and why do you shy away from acknowledging and stating them? I have no problems with acknowledging Pak's achievements but I certainly won't give them undeserved credit and at the same time, understate and be bashful of our achievements.
You go to the average Joe Boggs on the street in UK or Australia and ask him which of the two Asian teams has a better pedigree in cricket or hockey- what do you think his answer will be?
Your average Joe Boggs will refer to Pakistan vis-a-vis as cheats before he states which team is better. And this is from personal experience.

Anyway, I realize we Indians are an emotional lot, and I am fast losing any friends I had with my scathing post on India in the wake of the Ford fiasco, and now this thread, so I'll just shut up and quit while I am only a couple of miles behind, instead of being kicked to smithereens by angry compatriots.
Dhondy, you do try and run down India as often as you can and by doing that, in comparision to say me, who is quite optimistic about India, you end up looking, to the neutral observer, as the intellectual realist and I end up looking like a jingoistic chest thumping buffoon of an Indian.