[Dual Pricing on Diesel ]:Car owners may not get subsidised diesel: Government

Stuge

between

tLPG supply Mr. Reddy was also in favour of ending subsidised domestic cooking gas (LPG) supply to people with income of more than Rs. 6 lakh per annum. A 14.2-kg LPG cylinder in Delhi costs Rs. 395.35.This is Rs. 247 short of its market price. If implemented, people with more than Rs. 6 lakh per annum household income will have to pay Rs. 642.35 per cylinder
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2322331.ece

Not a good idea in Mumbai. Very few CNG petrol pumps. One floor supervisor who works in our factory converted his Baleno to CNG. He says that its a little unsafe and he has to wait for long time in a line for a refill. And you lose that much storage space. Because the government doesn't want to subsidize you traveling in your private car. Why should you get a subsidy for your entertainment/personal usages? The govt idea is right, but the way people will black market diesel in India, it will never work. The smarter thing for the govt to do will be to phase out diesel cars in the long run. Only allow commercial diesel vehicle and jeeps/suv. Will help the environment too. The differential pricing will be a mess.
Well first of all if they don't want you to use diesel car, why allow manufacturing in the first place.

Well first of all if they don't want you to use diesel car' date=' why allow manufacturing in the first place.[/quote'] Good point. See, Diesel cars became a rage only after Diesel was subsidized. For the first few years the % of diesel used by commercial and govt vehicles ( trucks/buses/lorries/tractors etc) was around 90% of total national diesel usage. So for just 10% (pvt vehicles) the govt wasn't going to amend legislature. Now, in the last 10 odd years the % has come to ~65% (will have to check once). So 35% is for purposes that are not nation building. So, the govt. is forced to play its hand. * I know all this as I had read up on a case on these lines. (fuel subsidy)

Not a good idea in Mumbai. Very few CNG petrol pumps. One floor supervisor who works in our factory converted his Baleno to CNG. He says that its a little unsafe and he has to wait for long time in a line for a refill. And you lose that much storage space. Because the government doesn't want to subsidize you traveling in your private car. Why should you get a subsidy for your entertainment/personal usages? The govt idea is right, but the way people will black market diesel in India, it will never work. The smarter thing for the govt to do will be to phase out diesel cars in the long run. Only allow commercial diesel vehicle and jeeps/suv. Will help the environment too. The differential pricing will be a mess.
Cant phase out diesel cars. They are much more cost effective than petrols and much better for the environment as well. For example in places like germany, diesel cars far outsell their petrol siblings. The newer european turbo diesels like the passat bluemotion far cleaner and more efficient than petrols.

Cant phase out diesel cars. They are much more cost effective than petrols and much better for the environment as well. For example in places like germany, diesel cars far outsell their petrol siblings. The newer european turbo diesels like the passat bluemotion far cleaner and more efficient than petrols.
They are cost effective now, because of the subsidy on diesel. Take the subsidy away and you'll end up paying more for the fuel and diesel car. :(( How much does Diesel cost vis a vis Petrol in Germany? Would be almost at par I guess.

Guest Gunner
They are cost effective now, because of the subsidy on diesel. Take the subsidy away and you'll end up paying more for the fuel and diesel car. :(( How much does Diesel cost vis a vis Petrol in Germany? Would be almost at par I guess.
No. About 10 cents cheaper, this is the case all across EU except a few countries.

Its only a 6 rupee subsidy. Even if u add that, the price turns out to be 51 rs a liter conpared to 68 for petrol. Add to that diesel cars have a better mileage. for example.. yhe swift petrol gives 10 kmpl while the diesel gives 15 kmpl. So diesel is not only cheaper, it is more efficient. I think petrol and diesel prices in germany are the same or similar.

Good point. See, Diesel cars became a rage only after Diesel was subsidized. For the first few years the % of diesel used by commercial and govt vehicles ( trucks/buses/lorries/tractors etc) was around 90% of total national diesel usage. So for just 10% (pvt vehicles) the govt wasn't going to amend legislature. Now, in the last 10 odd years the % has come to ~65% (will have to check once). So 35% is for purposes that are not nation building. So, the govt. is forced to play its hand. * I know all this as I had read up on a case on these lines. (fuel subsidy)
our FM minister today said 15 % of the cars use diesel(this should include private vehicles + taxis] rest is used by buses ,agriculture and other public sector .

Pranabda suggests no such proposal for dual pricing. They could simply increase the taxation on diesel cars couldn't they :hmmm: Or would that be a complete turn off for diesel car buyers because of the high initial cost ? Maybe increased road tax or some other gradual measure ..

Pranabda suggests no such proposal for dual pricing. They could simply increase the taxation on diesel cars couldn't they :hmmm: Or would that be a complete turn off for diesel car buyers because of the high initial cost ? Maybe increased road tax or some other gradual measure ..
+1. This makes more sense rather than fuelling a black market by introducing dual pricing.