Why no second term for Prof Abdul kalam

Guest dada_rocks

SRK sells in bollywood and the Gandhis sell in politics in India. Heck, anyone with the last name gandhi will win in India even if he/she hasnt even passed high school
I am no fan of SRK but credit where its due. SRK has made his own destiny. Sure he dishes out movies that I feel are cr@ppy(others love them of course) but the man came with nothing to Bombay and today reigns Bombay. Definitely something to be appreciative of. On the other hand Gandhis are only mooching off their lagacies. The last Gandhi of note was Rajeev Gandhi, and that was 20 years back. Everyone from Sonia to Rahul to Priyanka is just driving mileage off the surname. xxx

Guest dada_rocks
Breaking News.... VPresident Shekhawat offers to withdraw if consensus on Pres. APJ Kalam yipeeee!!
he didn't let me down :thumbs_up:I stopped short of saying this before his announcement..Bhairo Singh shekhawat doesn't have friends across party lines for no reason ..Good move sir.. When communists and congress go to bed together emergency befalls on nation ( remember commis were the only supporter of congress during emergency days) and rubber-stamp president like yester-year Fakhrudeen Ali ahmed would have made their job easy. Still NDA+Third front falls short of the magic number I guess

The presidential race on Tuesday appeared to have narrowed down to a straight contest - between United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pratibha Patil and National Democratic Alliance (NDA)-supported independent Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, with President A P J Abdul Kalam's office signalling his disinterest in a second term. "There is no change in stand of the President. He will not contest the elections," a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesman said.

Nah Holy....Latest news.. President Kalam to take the offer if win iscertainty...no longer looking for consenses..... Ab aayega mazaa....now UPA partners will be in a fix(except those commie traitors) Parties like DMK and BSP will have to think twice.Kalam is apopular man .....a people's candidate.....and the woman president drama hasn't gone down well with mostpeople.UPA has the numbers but if they win ...it will be considered a win against the will of the people... Lets see how far they are willing to go. The third front and NDA(- the slimeball shiv sena)were just looking for a +ve response from Rashtrapati bhawan....now things are no longer so simple...

Guest dada_rocks

IN fact NDA had approached Prof Kalaam even before all this drama started but his line was unless he is consensus candiate he will not join the fray. Ab aayega mazaa khel ka.. Waise I have started liking Patil after that brave comment about purdah:sad_smile:

I don't like the idea of Patil as president.Nothing personal against her...... I am one of those who believes that everyone should have the right to wear what one wants ...and all respect to her for that pallu on her head....but I think we can do without a president who keeps a pallu on her head....it is just the symbolism associated to it that worries me. In a country where the male female sex ratio is what it is ...we need women who hold their head high wiithout a pallu on her head.I am sure P Patil is a very capable woman who has worked very hard for whjat she has achieved and normally her pallu wouldn't bother me.But the first citizen with a pallu on the head doesn't seem right to me.

Good to see the development of Kalaam. I hope he gets selected. In your face feminist movement. :bike: I still have a bit of grudge against Kalaam for not taking a final decision on Afzal guru episode for 6 months or so but I suppose I will much rather take that over a dummy Pratibha "who am I" Patil. xxx

Lurker I don't blame the president for the Afzal thingyy...there are many more cases that are pending and I am sure he is just following rules.Yes...if he had made an exception and taken this up first it would have been nice but I guess he is not one to be taken by passion and more a man of logic.

Guest dada_rocks
Question : Do the directives to vote along with the party whip apply for presidential elections as well? If not, it's possible Abdul Kalam might get some support from Congress/communists as well else it seems very difficult for him to come through.
It's secret ballot so party can do all the whipping it wants but noone wud know who voted for whom.

Guest dada_rocks
Lurker I don't blame the president for the Afzal thingyy...there are many more cases that are pending and I am sure he is just following rules.Yes...if he had made an exception and taken this up first it would have been nice but I guess he is not one to be taken by passion and more a man of logic.
Nope he is not following the rules there, it's politics, because many pardon petition which have come to his desk after Afzal have already been taken decision on.

It will be a sad day when we have to have a party whip for the presidential election..... That itself will be a slap on the face of the UPA.If not...there is bound to be cross voting.Do you know how many people from the congress not to say the commi parties have been considered for the post....shiv raj patil...pranab mukherjee ...........so on and so forth...and each have their own loyalist.