Quadrangular Under-19 Series (India),Sept 2011/12

nsareen

Yuvraj Singh-II? 17-yr-old may script another Chandigarh fairytale Yuvraj Singh’s story may well turn out to be Manan Vohra’s script too. Like the Chandigarh lad, now an international star, Manan has been making waves in the junior circuit and even though he is just 17, his competitors in the U-22 category have already been finishing second best to this batting sensation. 137577.jpg The scores will tell you part of the story, as his consistent batting performances have been instrumental in helping Punjab win the national U-19 and U-22 titles but what is even more promising is the confidence and focus in his batting. And the reward for Chandigarh’s Manan is a place among the 30 probables in the Indian team for the U-19 World Cup 2012 (January), along with four more from Punjab - Ankit Pursharthy (Mohali), Kamal Passi, Mohit Handa (both from Amritsar) and Sandeep Sharma (Patiala). An excited Manan had this to tell Newsline. “The fact that I have done reasonably well for Punjab in the recent years has given me lot of confidence and helped me grow as a cricketer. I have learnt and picked up a lot of things from senior cricketers as well as coaches. I hope to carry forward the good work when the U-19 India team’s camp begins next month. I need to keep performing well and aim for a U-19 WC Indian team berth. It would be wonderful to break into the Indian U-19 team like Punjab’s Yuvraj Singh, Reetinder Sodhi and Mandeep Singh once did.” Chandigarh’s Yuvraj Singh and Siddharth Kaul have been part of the U-19 World Cup winning Indian team in 1999 and 2008 respectively. The India’s U-19 probables will attend a 45-day long conditioning camp at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore starting from June 6. Not only has Manan grown into a mature and skillful cricketer, he has worked hard on his physical fitness abilities. From being a boyish wonder, the 17-year-old cricketer possesses strong sets of legs and arms, giving him an edge over other cricketers of his age. His exploits even impressed the Kings XI Punjab think-tank, involving Colonel Arvinder, Adam Gilchrist and coaches Michael Bevan and Vikram Rathore. The IPL franchise has roped in Manan for its development squad for the future seasons. “Right now my prime focus is to work even harder on my cricket and concentrate on domestic cricket. I will have to stand out if I have to get into the Indian U-19 team for the World Cup. And it has been amazing to have played alongside players like Gilchrist and Shaun Marsh in the IPL practice matches. I have learnt quite a few things from them. Michael Bevan along with Vikram Rathore keeps guiding me, which further helps me in improving my game. I am enjoying the present phase in my career to the fullest and hope to convert it into a productive one in the coming time.” Manan is the most talked-about cricketer at present in the Punjab circuit. His poised, calm and productive presence during crucial encounters proves that he is someone to be watched out for in the coming years. Raving about his ward, coach Harminder Singh sums up, “I see Manan’s progress having similarities with Yuvraj’s. Like Yuvi, Manan stands out in his age group. He needs to be consistent with his fine form and remain focused. If he gets into the Indian U-19 team, it will be a lifetime opportunity for him to rise from there on.”

More to Aparajith than pet name, b’day & batting style His pet name at home is Sachin, shares his birthday with Sourav, apes Rahul when batting, and is constantly confused for his twin brother Sunny. But on Tuesday, Baba Aparajith managed to do what he couldn’t for the last 17 years of his existence — carve an identity all for himself. 137576.jpg With a five-for on his debut game for the India under-19 side, a budding all-rounder of enormous talent from Chennai ensured that the deflated Australians will always remember him for the name emblazoned at the back of his jersey — just ‘Aparajith’. Unleashing mayhem with his jagging turn and deceptive flight, Aparajith’s introduction with the ball coincided with the opposition’s exit from the game, as he hurried back the entire bottom-half of Australia’s batting order during the inaugural match, and innings, of the Four Nations tournament. And being a finger spinner with an unusually low release, the Aussies found it hard to pick his drift early, and were caught wanting off the pitch when the ball spat in late. In the process, he went from 1/35 in six overs to 5/38 in 8.1 overs. While his four wickets for three runs overwhelmed the team management, it was the return of the classical finger spinner that brought much joy to the Indian camp. “I can also bowl wrist-spin, but against the Australians, who were poking at it from the crease, I just wanted to spin big with my fingers,” says the very shy lad. “I also bowled the top-spinner, and can also bowl the doosra,” he adds, speaking about his variations. While one would think that the team management would have no regrets with Aparajith’s debut, India under-19 coach Bharat Arun puts expectations from the colt in perspective when he says: “Aparajith bats much better than he bowls. It’s the batting that’s going to help him break into the Tamil Nadu side.” Revealing his school-boy braces with a grin, Aparajith confirms the statement. “Ever since I was four and a half years old, I wanted to bat like Sachin, that’s why the pet name, but ended up modeling myself on Dravid,” he says, looking intently into his cell-phone wallpaper — a picture of his two idols. The accolades have been pouring in ever since his five-wicket burst, but it was earlier this year in April that he received his most cherished compliment. “After collecting the BCCI award for best under-16 cricketer, I was walking back to my seat when the real Sachin shook my hand and said, ‘Well done’,” he adds. This debut performance could well turn the attention of Tamil Nadu’s selectors towards him, but the boy born exactly 22 years after Ganguly says he will keep working on his skills till his ‘ultimate dream’ comes true — bat alongside Tendulkar, and stroke the ball through the covers like Dravid.

VISAKHAPATNAM: India colts on Thursday managed to sneak past Sri Lanka by one wicket in the four-nation Quadrangular tournament courtesy patient half century by Hanuman Vihari and an all-round performance by Rush Kalaria. Chasing a modest target of 185, the Unmukt Chand -led team made a rough weather of the chase before a 44-run eighth-wicket stand between Hanuman (51) and Rush (47 not out). Opting to bat first at VDCA cricket stadium, only opener Shehan Fernando (70) looked comfortable against the Indian bowlers. Fernando hit 11 boundaries in his 79-ball knock but got very little support from other end as Sandeep Sharma was the pick of the bowlers grabbing four for 38. Kalaria also got a wicket. Last match's hero, off-spinner Baba Aparajith also got a wicket. The Indians lost wickets in a heap as Hanuman who played 107 balls solid at one end. Skipper Unmukt (28) hit four boundaries and a six in his 18-ball knock before perishing. St one stage India slumped to 108 for seven before Hanuman and Rush conjured an useful partnership. When the former was dismissed at 152, India still needed another 33 runs but Kalaria ensured full points for 'Boys in Blue'. Brief Scores: Sri Lanka 184/9 in 50 overs (Shehan Fernando 70, Sandeep Sharma 4/38). India 185/9 in 49 overs (Hanuman Vihari 51, Rush Kalaria 47 not out).