Quadrangular Under-19 Series (India),Sept 2011/12

nsareen

I tell you one thing. In under age cricket' date=' lot of players passed 20 plays as U19. My brother passed age 19 played U17 on fake age certificate issued from a school. They most are at least 2-3 years more than their actual age. There are very few who look like they belong to their age.[/quote'] Ya I know this faking of age to play under age cricket is pretty common,not only in India but also in our neighbouring countries.

Passport goof-ups. I have an amazing anecdote to share. When I went to renew my passport, with me in the queue was a man, whose mother's passport had "Male" written on it. Funnily, she used it for 2 yrs and it went unnoticed, until the American Embassy brought it to notice. India is a funny country

This is an interesting article on the issue of age determination at junior levels.

The current method adopted for verifying the age of cricketers has come under scrutiny from the ICC's medical council, which met in Dubai recently to discuss a variety of issues that impact the performance of an athlete. The topic of cricketers' legitimate age has long been debated, especially in the subcontinent, with India and Pakistan doing exceedingly well in age-group tournaments like the Under-19 World Cup. At the moment a player's age is determined by using X-rays, a method the five-member panel thought was absolutely unscientific. "Presently X-rays of the growing ends of the bone or the dental X-rays are used to determine the player's age which was unanimously turned down by the committee. The margin of error can be as much as one or two years", Dr Anant Joshi, the Indian representative, told Cricinfo. The alternative, the committee recommended, was to go by verification of authentic papers like the passport, date of birth certificate and any other relevant papers at every possible instance. Joshi, who is also the BCCI's medical consultant, said discrepancies could take place using this method, too, but it was a much better procedure.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/353618.html
The BCCI should find out if there was a mistake somewhere. If he has lied about his age' date=' they should start banning players.[/quote'] +1. Strict punishment is needed to stop such practices by players. In the end they might be picked into national side based on these performances and fudging it up on the bigger stage
then you will end up banning almost every one :giggle:' date=' guys "fight" very hard to get chance at junior level because most of cricket is played at u19u17 etc level . after u19 very little cricket is played (i can think of only ck naydu for u22)ie if you cant break into ranji or struggle to keep your place in 1st Xi in ranji, a u19 certificate can get u into sports quota in college or even a job .[/quote'] +1 this issue is there in evry Sports in India...
I have been thinkig about this for a while. A lot of our players are unfit.....maybe because they lie about their age.
Meat eating Pakistanis aren't super fit either..our INDIAN players get caught if they lie only about few months unlike our neighbours who fake their ages even by 3-4 years to participate in limited age tournaments.

Actually he didn't cheat. Its the goof up at Passport department and negligence at BCCI level which should come under spotlight:

The disqualification came after the opening batsman had attended a 40-day camp at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore. But Shirke believes that Bawne is in fact an 18-year old, and the problem is with the passport. ŵhe passport was made ten years ago and the agent who was applying on his behalf goofed up with his age. He didnÃÕ cheat, nor is he overage. Because this is an ICC event, we wanted to make sure that there are no problems, defended Shirke, who is also BCCIÃÔ new treasurer. The upcoming ICC event also includes Australia, Sri Lanka and West Indies under-19s. Even though the MCA informed the BCCI about the negligence, the state associationÃÔ role has now come under the scanner. The shocking fact is that the age given by Bawne and the passport age was never matched for several age-group tournaments in the last few years, including a tour of Australia last year.
Link
Even though there was no need to check the players' passport for the series, the MCA still asked both its players Bawne and Mohsin Sayyad since their exposure tours ahead of next year's U-19 World Cup in Australia would soon begin. Ŵince both of them hail from rural areas we thought it was important to check if their documents were in place. And when it was found out that the date of Bawne's passport was different than that in the association records, it was immediately conveyed to the BCCI, an MCA official told HT. While the date of birth of Bawne, who already has scored a first-class century, in the BCCI records is December 17, 1992, on his passport it is December 17, 1991. A player born before September 1, 1992 is not eligible for the U-19 World Cup. The player has pleaded innocence, blaming an error by the passport officials. żI]His bone scan report is in sync with his birth certificate. Even though we believe his version that the passport office has made a mistake and he didn't notice when it was issued to him, it's very difficult to get it rectified now." For the moment, the BCCI junior selectors have been asked not to select him throughout the season.
Link So goof up is by agent-passport office-BCCI combined and poor player is being punished!