Steve Waugh handles the ball

Gambit

because the ball has 'right of way' to do its thing when not using bat. The logic is this : since batsmen often can be genuinely playing a stroke and missing, with the ball first crashing into pad and then bat or body and then bat, its okay to swat the ball away in Steve Waugh's situation that with the bat.. For there is no 'time period' specified between pad=before-bat-must-touch-ball and the ball isnt dead. However, the reason you are not allowed to pick up the ball or swat it with your hand is because that'd be pretty unfair to the bowler...for there are times when genuine inside-edges go on to hit the stumps too that batsmen can 'kick away' sometimes...using hand clearly negates the 'pad before bat' scenario and is considered illegal in cricket. And IMO, thats the way it should be.

CC.. You must have seen cricket for many many years.... Have you seen even ONCE , an occurence where there was a genuine inside edge and the batsman had the time to palm it away ? I havent seen that. I can understand the logic behind this rule , but the application of it must contextual , depending on that particular situation. The on-field umpire should be able to judge whether the batsman was genuinely trying to block the ball on its way to the stumps, or just casually catching the ball rolling slowly towards the stumps. And when lbw's are judged on that instant , why not these ? And the way Inzamam has got out a couple of times blocking the ball ( the Suresh Raina throw from mid-off) is ridiculos. EVERYBODY knows he would have been safe , even if he hadnt parried the ball.

Have you seen even ONCE , an occurence where there was a genuine inside edge and the batsman had the time to palm it away ? I havent seen that.
No...pro batsmen arnt that stupid usually..it only happens in a rare 'lapse of judgement' like Tugga..but its an issue of continuity of the law's logical conclusion, not necessarily whether you can do it or not. There is no difference between a 'genuine blocking of ball headed to the stumps' and 'casually removing the ball as it rolls slowly towards the stumps'. You are not in control if your shot deflects and hits the stumps..doesnt matter if its a high-speed inside edge deflection or a trickling rolling ball on to the stumps.
And when lbw's are judged on that instant , why not these ?
Because the ball is not dead yet.

. You are not in control if your shot deflects and hits the stumps..doesnt matter if its a high-speed inside edge deflection or a trickling rolling ball on to the stumps.
When you are allowed to use the bat or foot to stop a ball from hitting the stumps after it got deflected of some part of your body/bat , then why not use the hands to stop a ball gentling rolling toward the stumps ? And its so easy to decided whether it was a genuine slap of the ball heading dangerously toward the stump or a just a casual push of a slow moving ball. That is why i said , the on-field umpire should decide this. You cant give a batsman out in a ad-hoc manner just because he touched the ball. Matches could be won and lost because of that.

And its so easy to decided whether it was a genuine slap of the ball heading dangerously toward the stump or a just a casual push of a slow moving ball.
Yes..all i am saying is that there is no reason why its okay to swat away the ball if its a casual moving one.
Matches could be won and lost because of that. __________________
Err..so ? Still totally batsman's fault..if he can lapse for a second and touch the ball when he isnt allowed to, he is out..just like if he lapses for a second and nicks it to the keeper..he is out. Batsmen already have too much advantage...i say if they even whack the ball with their bat, they should be out.