'Spirit of the game' - England's Double Standards

Can't really blame England at all in this instance... Let's consider all the points :- 1. Playing Strauss for Somerset is their prerogative. Don't really know what England did wrong or is against spirit of the game. 2. Refusing to play 13 a side game. Cricket is an 11 a side game and blaming a county side not to play a 13 a side match is childish. If you want to blame someone blame BCCI for not having more practice games or for hectic schedule that has left us where we are at - half the team injured/unfit. 3. Bell dismissal and recall - It was up to Indian team management to politely send Flower & Bell back when they showed up in the Indian dressing room. It's our own fault. None of these issues, if you can call them that, can be termed violating spirit of the game. If you want to know what that means pls watch Ind-Aus series in 2008 again, specifically Sydney match where fielders appealed for non-existent edges, where batsmen refused to walk for catches taken by slip and where the opposing captain actually started umpiring and actually start appealing for one-bounce catches! Frankly don't know why people are hung up on "spirit of cricket" in this day and age. These things sounded good in Victorian age but you can't expect professionals to uphold so called "spirit of the game" if their livelihood depends on the game. Simple thing is to translate all the items in spirit of the game and make them cricket laws so that their is no ambiguity. I would have done exactly the same as what England did. In fact I would have done worse - I would have refused to declare in the tour game so that my opponents didn't get a chance to bat at all in the solitary tour game.

Can't really blame England at all in this instance... Let's consider all the points :- 1. Playing Strauss for Somerset is their prerogative. Don't really know what England did wrong or is against spirit of the game. 2. Refusing to play 13 a side game. Cricket is an 11 a side game and blaming a county side not to play a 13 a side match is childish. If you want to blame someone blame BCCI for not having more practice games or for hectic schedule that has left us where we are at - half the team injured/unfit. 3. Bell dismissal and recall - It was up to Indian team management to politely send Flower & Bell back when they showed up in the Indian dressing room. It's our own fault. None of these issues, if you can call them that, can be termed violating spirit of the game. If you want to know what that means pls watch Ind-Aus series in 2008 again, specifically Sydney match where fielders appealed for non-existent edges, where batsmen refused to walk for catches taken by slip and where the opposing captain actually started umpiring and actually start appealing for one-bounce catches! Frankly don't know why people are hung up on "spirit of cricket" in this day and age. These things sounded good in Victorian age but you can't expect professionals to uphold so called "spirit of the game" if their livelihood depends on the game. Simple thing is to translate all the items in spirit of the game and make them cricket laws so that their is no ambiguity. I would have done exactly the same as what England did. In fact I would have done worse - I would have refused to declare in the tour game so that my opponents didn't get a chance to bat at all in the solitary tour game.
I think there's a strong whiff of sour grapes in these complaints

"Spirit of the game" is one of the least understood and yet over discussed BS in cricket. Suffice to say that this neatly gift wrapped bull sheet, sold to cricketers and the public as some kinda elitist's possession is merely a trickery used by the vampires to extinguish the weaklings. A time tested technique this. Like masturbation - works every time!

Stop crying about this. Nobody gives a damn and nobody will give India a medal. In fact India got stepped on by England. I just came back from cricket practice and all my guyanese teammates kept making fun of India saying, "whens the last time you saw a team score 700+?" and stuff like that. Indian Test cricket has been demoralized by this **** whooping. We need couple double centuries by Sehwag and Tendulkar in the ODIs to feel slightly better.

Broad tried to run-out the batsman even when it was dead ball. Was that against spirit of the cricket?
add to that, bumble on commentary said dernbach shouldn't have asked for replacement ball after it has been damaged and should have kept bowling with damaged ball which would have made it difficult for the Indians to clear the boundary. how on earth this bullsheet is not against the spirit of the game i dont know.