Famous Anglo-Indians

Dhondy

This one is dedicated to GP. Sportsmen World Cup winner Roger Binny, Olympian Leslie Claudius (hockey) Authors Henry Derozio- Have you guys read his poem, "To India, My Native Country?" It'll make the hair stand on the back of your head. Ruskin Bond, George Orwell (yes, indeed!) Celebrities Vivian Leigh of "Gone With The Wind" and "Streetcar Named Desire" Fame, Diana Hayden, former Miss world, Merle Oberon, Russell Peters (!), Melanie Sykes Others of mixed British and Indian ethnicity Nasser Hussain Stuart Clark (Aussie!) Sir Ben Kingsley Sir Cliff Richard Hey, GP, you are distinguished company!

Just checked, Mandrake. You are right. Ruskin Bond was considered an Indian author of British descent. Lost his dad in WWII. His mum remarried- an Indian businessman. BTW, Cliff Richard was born Harry Webb. Cliff's parents were pretty wealthy in India , but came down several social classes when they emigrated to the UK, where they had to live with their relatives for quite a while because they couldn't afford their own home.

Thanks for the thread Dhondy :) Im half Indian and half English, with some German a few generations back on my Indian side. But I dont believe in identity, so I dont tend to emphise my background anymore. I used to take great pride making people know I am half Indian, and was pretty nationalistic when it came to India (saying id go to India and join the army if India was ever threatened, calling myself an atheist Hindu, writing hundreds of hours of subliminally pro-Indian wiki articles, etc, lol), but I later realised how idiotic idealism is. On topic - Nasser Hussain, Englebert Humperdink, are a couple more. I dont really have much in common with any of them - they are mostly from Raj era families and stuff, whereas I was born in Britain. Anglo Indians tend to refer to those born in India, with their unique trends and stuff (and tendancy for stupid names lol).

Thanks for the thread Dhondy :) Im half Indian and half English, with some German a few generations back on my Indian side.
Cor...there's been a lot of sleeping around by your folks, hasn't there? Just kidding!:P

As far as i am aware, Rowan Atkinson is as English as you get. Son of Anglican farmers from Durham. Freddy Mercury is definitely desi.
freddy mercury of the Queens fame was born in Zanzibar before he moved to Mumbai where he spent his childhood and gained much of his vocal music training. Bob Woolmer (!) and above all... Sir Swaraj Paul, Lakshmi Mittal etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Stromeyer That guy is my great (dunno how many greats) grandfather. One of his great (dunno how many greats) grandsons came to India to mine gold, and married a Hindu woman. Several generations later, his descendant, (my dad, who kinda looks like Ravi Shankar now that he is old), came to the UK, and married my English mother. Then I was born. 2015, I took over the world using a laser on the moon.