How many of you know of Lachit Borphukan, a great Indian hero ?

CC1981

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachit_Borphukan I am amazed i had not heard of him earlier. He's an awe-inspiring character- probably amongst the greatest generals in Indian history. We all know of Shivaji- IMO this guy was no less than Shivaji, if not better. Decisive victory over the Mughals meaning mughals never got control of Assam. Hats off to our Ahom brothers- they are often ignored by the mainstream media ( most of north-east is ignored and neglected by rest of India to my utter chargin) but this guy deserves the accolades he gets. The parallels with lord Nelson is unmistakable- and unlike Nelson, he won against the odds both on sea and on land ! One of the greatest 'lost heroes' of India.

I do. If you go to National Defence Academy there is a statue in his rememberance too. A compatriot of Shivaji in terms of era they lived in, Borphukan is quite celebrated in India's military circle. The rest of the country needs to learn a lot about North East. I personally got lucky since I studied from a REC and as per the rules we had about 30 odd students from the North Eastern states. Great easy going people with a natural flair for music and sports. Frankly in 4 years of my Engineering course I can not recall one unpleasant situation that had a North Eastern in its background. xx

India should make Lachit jayanti a national holiday. The last Indian general to comprehensively beat the mughal juggernaut (commanded by a typical desh-drohi Rajput interestingly!) both on water and land. That too while facing overwhelming odds, better equipped army and facing down his own illness ! He is our Nelson...but we dont honour him nearly enough like the Brits do with Nelson.

A compatriot of Shivaji in terms of era they lived in, Borphukan is quite celebrated in India's military circle.
good to hear...you seem to know way more on this than i do...any other north-eastern heroes of note that are celebrated in some circles ?

India should make Lachit jayanti a national holiday. The last Indian general to comprehensively beat the mughal juggernaut (commanded by a typical desh-drohi Rajput interestingly!) both on water and land. That too while facing overwhelming odds, better equipped army and facing down his own illness !
That would be a little over the top CC. See Lachit fought for his homeland which was Assam at the time. He certainly did not fight for the entire country as such. It is strange, in fact fascinating that most of the Indian figures that fought for their sovereignty against Mughals often had to fight Hindu chieftains. Thus Rana Pratap fought Raja Man Singh(who was Akbar's wingman), Lachita fought Ram Singh who was a wingman for Aurangzeb. Shivaji also fought against a Hindu wingman for Aurganzeb whose name escapes me now. Regardless if you are willing to commemorate Lachita's bravery then why not many of Mughal Emperor's/chieftains? I mean surely they also have a lot to offer on bravery front since they did not rule over large part of India just as a gift from someone. National Holiday would be far fetched I think. His exploits are studied in Indian military circle, more so his use of little equipments at disposal when fighting such a large enemy. xxx

He certainly did not fight for the entire country as such.
And neither did Shivaji. My essential point is, this guy was an equal, if not bigger hero than Shivaji. He should be given atleast as much exposure and good name as Shivaji enjoys.
Regardless if you are willing to commemorate Lachita's bravery then why not many of Mughal Emperor's/chieftains?
Because mughals ultimately had more foreign influence than local in their overall society. I admire someone resisting foreign culture spread at a swordpoint more than the other way round. Yes, i know of mughal's indian influences, mixings etc..but it cannot be denied that they ultimately repersented Islam more than anything else - an ideology that is cancerous and demented at the core in comparison to the dharmic/atheistic ideologies. Thus if an aggressive abrahamic ruler attacks a non-abrahamic one,my support will most likely go to the non-abrahamic one.

And neither did Shivaji. My essential point is, this guy was an equal, if not bigger hero than Shivaji. He should be given atleast as much exposure and good name as Shivaji enjoys.
No arguments there. However Shivaji's jayanti is not celebrated as a National Holiday. Similarly I do not see reason to celebrate Lachita Jayanti as National Holiday. That does not mean we should not celebrate his success, it surely needs to get more attention in India.
Because mughals ultimately had more foreign influence than local in their overall society. I admire someone resisting foreign culture spread at a swordpoint more than the other way round. Yes, i know of mughal's indian influences, mixings etc..but it cannot be denied that they ultimately repersented Islam more than anything else - an ideology that is cancerous and demented at the core in comparison to the dharmic/atheistic ideologies. Thus if an aggressive abrahamic ruler attacks a non-abrahamic one,my support will most likely go to the non-abrahamic one.
My logic is rather simple. India today HAS Muslims as its citizens, no ifs and buts about it. And you can not create National Culture by eliminating Muslims. We can argue that Mughals represented Islam but Islam also signifies India, atleast India of today. And hence I do not see a reason why only Hindus should be celebrated as part of National fabric. xxx

And hence I do not see a reason why only Hindus should be celebrated as part of National fabric.
Didn't say hindus only. My like isnt towards hindus..its dislike towards abrahamic faith and what it reperesents. I have no problem tolerating their existance and people following them- but i do see them as a long term threat that needs to be dealt with. Not through aggression but through subterfuge.
No arguments there. However Shivaji's jayanti is not celebrated as a National Holiday. Similarly I do not see reason to celebrate Lachita Jayanti as National Holiday. That does not mean we should not celebrate his success, it surely needs to get more attention in India.
Fair enough.

Great to see some postings about Lachit Borphukan here in this Cricket Discussion forum! Some people have started the blog about him in www.lachitborphukan.com . I hope you might like to contribute! Lachit Borphukan is the only General who defeated Mughals decisively! As a person from from North east, I would like to contribute 2 more facts which might be interesting to you 1. Ahom dynasty ruled Assam for 598 years from 1228AD to 1826AD. By Yandabu Treaty in 1826 between Burma and British, Assam was annexed to India. Before that Mughals or other Muslim rulers from Gaur ( Dhaka), attacked Assam for 17 times from13th century and none of the invading Army rulers came back alive except Ram Singh whom Lachit Borphukan defeated. Source : A History of Assam, by Sir Edward Gait. 2. Brahmaputra is the only Major River in India which is male!

Rani Chennamma ' date= Sangolli Rayanna & Onake Obavva are the legends from literally my neck of the woods who stood up to the Firangis and ROPers
Well said. :two_thumbs_up:Kittur Rani deserves the same accolades that gets accorded to heroines like Rani Laxmibhai. Sadly , we hear more of Razia Sultan , a foreigner (although naturalized) than our Indian Hero/Heroines like Lachit Borphukan, Chennamma etc

Guest dada_rocks

Laximibai to apna riyasat bacha rahi thi baba.. .. I know I will step on many toes here but sadly that's the fact.. when her adopted son was not accepted as future heir she waged the battle.. jab tak Riysat mahfooz tha wo loyal this british admin. ke prati.. But brave she was no doubt about it.... Raziya jee gets precedence for obvious reason :giggle:

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachit_Borphukan I am amazed i had not heard of him earlier. He's an awe-inspiring character- probably amongst the greatest generals in Indian history. We all know of Shivaji- IMO this guy was no less than Shivaji, if not better. Decisive victory over the Mughals meaning mughals never got control of Assam. Hats off to our Ahom brothers- they are often ignored by the mainstream media ( most of north-east is ignored and neglected by rest of India to my utter chargin) but this guy deserves the accolades he gets. The parallels with lord Nelson is unmistakable- and unlike Nelson, he won against the odds both on sea and on land ! One of the greatest 'lost heroes' of India.
this is what happens when ppl stop reading amar chitra katha.