Whats your take on Citizenship

dial_100

ICFers just wanted to know what do you think of giving away your nationality and take the citizen ship of the other country, wherever you live. I am quite okay with it. For me everything is same. Needless to mention, that I owe lot to my country and I will continue to repay in whatever way I could for which I need not be a citizen. I am going to apply for citizenship here. If anyone has anything to share then please go ahead.

IMO, it's a personal choice. Every person's circumstance dictates what he/she does. For instance, my academician uncle got his US citizenship because some grant opportunities were not available to him. Others have got it so they can bring their parents here on a GC. Just do what you need to do, and don't let anyone get on the moral high horse and give you any grief over it. And that, of course, includes me :regular_smile:.

I have no problems whatsoever with people taking any which nationality they want for whatever reasons (so long as the reasons arnt malicious). Besides, India has the PIO card that you qualify for the moment you relinquish your Indian passport. And with PIO, its practically equivalent of an Indian citizen living overseas- you can come & go whenever you please, no VISA restrictions, foreigner restrictions dont apply to you (ie, just like an INdian citizen, a PIO can go to Arunachal Pradesh but foreigners cannot without clearance) and you can claim Indian passport back anytime you want to. Not just you but even (i think) up to 4 generations after you, your descandants can claim Indian citizenship if they can prove Indian descent. Ie, you the Indian marries a gorah, your children marries a kaala, their children marries a chinese and STILL their children could come to India and get Indian citizenship if they want to(and if they can still prove that you are related to them) . Giving up Indian passport is not a big thing IMO.

I have no problems whatsoever with people taking any which nationality they want for whatever reasons (so long as the reasons arnt malicious). Besides, India has the PIO card that you qualify for the moment you relinquish your Indian passport. And with PIO, its practically equivalent of an Indian citizen living overseas- you can come & go whenever you please, no VISA restrictions, foreigner restrictions dont apply to you (ie, just like an INdian citizen, a PIO can go to Arunachal Pradesh but foreigners cannot without clearance) and you can claim Indian passport back anytime you want to..
You can upgrade your PIO card to OIC. In this case, you don't need approval for stay greater than 6 months in India.

Guest dada_rocks

I believe in "Janani Janmbhumishch swarghadapi gariyasi"; well passport color is merely need of the hour.

To each his own....after all, the things that connect you to your homeland cannot be bound and given away in a passport.The bond will remain regardless of your citizenship unless you become one of those snobbish 'NRI's' who find it difficult to 'breathe' the air back home.

I wouldnt hold anything against a person applying for citizenship from another country. As pointed out earlier , applying for a citizenship from another country isnt going to stop a person from being Indian, or doing things which are beneficial to India. He/She is just trying to make his/her life in the country of residnce as convenient and hassle free as possible. Who can deny them that right ? Stupid people would waste no time in pointing out that that person has betrayed India and all that crap. I guess if a person really intends to do good to his country ( and term "good" is left to open definition) he can do it from anywhere, if he really has the intent and some creativity. And after all , how many of the billion Indians residing in India are looking to serve the country ? What I do have problem with a person choosing a foreign land as his place of residence from now on , is the impact it has on family ties. I feel it completely changes a family structure. The old parents back home will surely feel the impact. "What If i bring along the parents too ?" , would be the next argument. I think its a very unfair deal on parents who have adjust to new a home after so many years. I feel if i bring my mom along to stay with me , she would be bored to death in a few months. There is nothing for her to do here. Everything that made her life what it has become over the years , the people, the relatives , the culture , is being grabbed from her. I dunno how exactly to manage this transition. I quite like the idea of bringing my mom/dad here for a couple of months , taking them around some of the beautiful places around here. But I dont think they can have a good life as residents here. I maybe totally wrong and naive in my observations, but this is my take on it.

To each his own....after all' date=' the things that connect you to your homeland cannot be bound and given away in a passport.The bond will remain regardless of your citizenship unless you become one of those snobbish 'NRI's' who find it difficult to 'breathe' the air back home.[/quote'] :haha: Well said

I'm holding on to my US passport. Was born here and have been living here for most of my life. Wouldn't mind doing the dual citizenship deal' date=' but I won't give up my US citizenship.[/quote'] Is that because you feel "emotionally" more attached to the U.S ? or is it simply because life is more convenient here and you woudnt want to let go of this life-style ? You may choose to not answer this question if you feel so . :)

I am holding on to my British passport! Being a British citizen opens way too many doors for me. I felt NO remorse chucking my Indian passport. It's currently sitting in a drawer with a katua front cover and CANCELLED stamped on it :hysterical: As far as I am concerned UK has has been good to me and I am thankful for all the good that has come to me as a result of being a Brit! God save the queen :hysterical::haha: Plus both passports have a sher on the front cover :haha: Edit- I could never live in India again.

Edit- I could never live in India again.
I used to think that way, it backfired..I realize now how much I miss India However, coming to this point; somehow I have seen people from smaller towns having that type of issue ( somewhat folks who haven't been charmed by high-life or skyscrapers )- This is just my opinion For me, coming from a Metro like Mumbai..I 'd say if u have a good bank balance; life is much much better there ..on that note, if you have a good bank balance- life is good in India I feel I'd like to hear from Kabira actually, howz he adjusting