Favourite TV shows

suma25

I liked the first season of spartacus. It had a good story of an underdog to back the all the blood and sex. I think it was meant to look like that' date=' like 300 and kill bill. But after the main lead died of cancer, the story fell off and the series ended up just with fight scenes and sex scenes.[/quote'] the thing is, in order to make your vision come through, you need **** loads of money for the sets etc. Spartacus did not have that. Game of thrones for eg spents $20 million per episode. Rome had a total production value of $120 million. You make these medieval dramas then be ready to spend big.

the thing is, in order to make your vision come through, you need **** loads of money for the sets etc. Spartacus did not have that. Game of thrones for eg spents $20 million per episode. Rome had a total production value of $120 million. You make these medieval dramas then be ready to spend big.
Rome was so expensive that HBO had to finish it in 2 seasons instead of the original plan of 4 seasons.

Per episode budget is 6 million not 20
i think thats season 2 and 3. season 1 they had to build a lot of sets. They are re using a lot of those sets. I remember reading it. still 6 per episode as of now works out to about 60-70 million per season. I guess it also depends on events in the book. If you want to stage a huge war then clearly it will cost more. The point if HBO spent a lot of money on GoT and even Boardwalk empire to make their visions come through and thats why it works.

i think thats season 2 and 3. season 1 they had to build a lot of sets. They are re using a lot of those sets. I remember reading it. still 6 per episode as of now works out to about 60-70 million per season. I guess it also depends on events in the book. If you want to stage a huge war then clearly it will cost more. The point if HBO spent a lot of money on GoT and even Boardwalk empire to make their visions come through and thats why it works.
check out "John Adams" by HBO - its another masterpiece. The detailing in the sets/costumes etc is really good and gives a real feel of that period.

20 million per episode is unrealistic. 6-7 sounds far more probable.

check out "John Adams" by HBO - its another masterpiece. The detailing in the sets/costumes etc is really good and gives a real feel of that period.
I tried that. Reminded me of the West Wing with its smugness. Passed after 30minutes. The only other historic Hbo mini series i enjoyed was The Pacific, starring Tom Hanks

is it necessary to watch the earlier Star Trek shows/Movies to understand this show? Basically I've never watched Star Trek so where should I start?
The JJ Abrams movies are a reboot so you don't need to see them. Enterprise is set a century before the Kirk / Spock series so it is a good place to start the franchise and go to the remaining series because it lays the foundation. Star Trek isnt suited to movies, the franchise works best with episodic story telling.

I tried that. Reminded me of the West Wing with its smugness. Passed after 30minutes. The only other historic Hbo mini series i enjoyed was The Pacific, starring Tom Hanks
I loved West Wing. Its my fav show of all time. It does get a bit OTT at times but its still great IMO.

20 million per episode is unrealistic. 6-7 sounds far more probable.
I think 20 million is fair for the initial episodes. Cause clearly you need to build the sets which can be used for other series. I do agree that as of now its closer to 6-7 per episode. Maybe even less as they have found good places in Croatia to shoot

On the issue of star trek. IMO you do need to watch it. There is much more to Khan thats whats shown in the movie (into darkness). Maybe you need to watch the first two flicks in the star trek movie franchise.

The JJ Abrams movies are a reboot so you don't need to see them. Enterprise is set a century before the Kirk / Spock series so it is a good place to start the franchise and go to the remaining series because it lays the foundation. Star Trek isnt suited to movies, the franchise works best with episodic story telling.
So I'll first watch Enterprise then go on to Star Trek : the original series and from there to all the TV series' that followed if I like it :nice:

is it necessary to watch the earlier Star Trek shows/Movies to understand this show? Basically I've never watched Star Trek so where should I start?
Don't watch the movies. They are all trash, at least the new ones are. You can start with any of the major series, but it is advisable to go in the following chronological order Star trek Star trek next generation Star trek ds9 Star trek voyager Star trek enterprise. The best in my opinion were in the following order. Star trek next generation(This has some masterpiece episodes) Star trek ds9(This is longest continous storyline)/ Star trek original series(The one which started it all) Star trek voyager(ok). Star trek enterprise(not good). The greatness of star trek in my opinion is much beyond the gadgetry and empty style which abrahams movies are full off. You need to watch some great episodes in star trek next generation to get this.