Gautam Gambhir seems to be a shadow of his previous self..

Who are you calling tried and tested failure mister? That guy was ICC player of the year FFS and the years where he perfomed poorly, everyone else did so too. Yes, 3 years without a ton is a long period and deserved to be dropped but tried and tested failure makes no sense whatsoever.
Wasn't he tried in England and Australia and he failed? Since the WC final, he has been in awful form. I would rather play a Rahane or a Dhawan in South Africa.
Wasn't he tried in England and Australia and he failed? Since the WC final' date=' he has been in awful form. I would rather play a Rahane or a Dhawan in South Africa.[/quote'] He scored some 50's in the '07 Natwest and 100 and 90 in the CB series of '08 and '12 respectively. One series and he is 'tested'. :giggle: That's how you term a player as 'tested and failed' ? Who apart from Kohli did well in Australia and Dravid in England? Why don't we throw them all out and that includes Mr. Man of Steel as well. He might have scored more but he still failed, right? Gambhir scored against Australia in the previous CB series and the recent one as well. He failed in these tours doesn't mean he will fail in the future. Just one tour FFS, where everyone failed and he has done fine in SA and NZ conditions. Why would you play Rahane? Did Gambhir not pass your test in SA or has he got any benchmark that you set for players who oppose Dhoni?
He scored some 50's in the '07 Natwest and 100 and 90 in the CB series of '08 and '12 respectively. One series and he is 'tested'. :giggle:
We were talking about tests in Aus. How does him scoring one odd half ccentury back in '07 and 09 in ODIs come into this?
That's how you term a player as 'tested and failed' ? Who apart from Kohli did well in Australia and Dravid in England? Why don't we throw them all out and that includes Mr. Man of Steel as well. He might have scored more but he still failed, right?
Most of them are already retired or dropped. And Dhoni being a WK bat still scored more runs than the 2 openers.
Gambhir scored against Australia in the previous CB series and the recent one as well. He failed in these tours doesn't mean he will fail in the future. Just one tour FFS, where everyone failed and he has done fine in SA and NZ conditions.
CB series is ODI. We are talking about Tests. He failed only in one tour? Yes there is no guarantee that he will fail in future but he hasn't done anything to deserve his place in the test team for SA.
Why would you play Rahane? Did Gambhir not pass your test in SA or has he got any benchmark that you set for players who oppose Dhoni?
I would play Rahane/Dhawan since they are in good form in FC/Tests. I ask you again, who would you rather play? A player who has failed in his last 2 overseas tours and has lost his place in the team from both formats OR the player who has set the int'l stage on fire with his blistering test debut ?
We were talking about tests in Aus. How does him scoring one odd half ccentury back in '07 and 09 in ODIs come into this? Most of them are already retired or dropped. And Dhoni being a WK bat still scored more runs than the 2 openers. CB series is ODI. We are talking about Tests. He failed only in one tour? Yes there is no guarantee that he will fail in future but he hasn't done anything to deserve his place in the test team for SA. I would play Rahane/Dhawan since they are in good form in FC/Tests. I ask you again, who would you rather play? A player who has failed in his last 2 overseas tours and has lost his place in the team from both formats OR the player who has set the int'l stage on fire with his blistering test debut ?
Explain how he is tested and failed? You mentioned that he was out of form after the WC which led to his downfall with some horrendous tours overseas. His failure has got more to do with his form and that doesn't explain that he is tested & failed and would not be able to perform in the future. Its a single tour that includes Test, ODIs or whatever. He has done enough in his career to do well in England or Australia in next tour. He might end up failing again or might score plenty out there. Whatever it might be, these tour did not define his career but the current period. Where did I say he is a 'must' in SA? I wanted to have him dropped from the side during England and Australia home series. There is a lot of time for the SA tour and as everyone else who acknowledges his talent, I too want him to be in that South Africa A tour after the Champions Trophy. If he scores well there then I don't see why he shouldn't get a place in the side. I am a big supporter of Rahane but what's up with in him doing well in this season and deserves a shot? He was mediocre during this domestic season and I hope Vijay scores but I've got no hope for that guy. To that last statement- There are two slots for openers in South Africa. One of them seems to be reserved by Dhawan, which he totally deserves and the other could be vacant if Vijay fails there. I can bet you that Gambhir will do well in the SA A tour if he is included and he will board the flight to the SA tour later this year.
Explain how he is tested and failed? You mentioned that he was out of form after the WC which led to his downfall with some horrendous tours overseas. His failure has got more to do with his form and that doesn't explain that he is tested & failed and would not be able to perform in the future.
I never said he will fail in future as well. But others have better chances to succeed.
Its a single tour that includes Test, ODIs or whatever. He has done enough in his career to do well in England or Australia in next tour. He might end up failing again or might score plenty out there. Whatever it might be, these tour did not define his career but the current period.
Which tour? How do you know he will succeed in his next tour to Eng or Aus(provided he gets a chance)? Where did I say he is a 'must' in SA? I wanted to have him dropped from the side during
England and Australia home series. There is a lot of time for the SA tour and as everyone else who acknowledges his talent, I too want him to be in that South Africa A tour after the Champions Trophy. If he scores well there then I don't see why he shouldn't get a place in the side.
Yup, nothing wrong in him being selected for SA if he manages to do well in the SA A tour. But I think selectors will still select him as backup for Dhawan/Vijay.
I am a big supporter of Rahane but what's up with in him doing well in this season and deserves a shot? He was mediocre during this domestic season and I hope Vijay scores but I've got no hope for that guy.
Played 3 matches : Scored 274 runs. And of course he has scored loads of runs before this season too. Its high time he gets to play. He did get a chance in the 4th test against Aus and I hope he continues to be a part of the test team.
To that last statement- There are two slots for openers in South Africa. One of them seems to be reserved by Dhawan, which he totally deserves and the other could be vacant if Vijay fails there. I can bet you that Gambhir will do well in the SA A tour if he is included and he will board the flight to the SA tour later this year.
How can other slot be vacant when Vijay was the leading run scorer in our recent Test series? I agree he doesn't give much hope but what exactly has he done to be dropped? If he fails in practice matches there and the first test, then they'll play the backups which should include Gambhir if he does well on the A tour.
I never said he will fail in future as well. But others have better chances to succeed. Which tour? How do you know he will succeed in his next tour to Eng or Aus(provided he gets a chance)? Where did I say he is a 'must' in SA? I wanted to have him dropped from the side during Yup, nothing wrong in him being selected for SA if he manages to do well in the SA A tour. But I think selectors will still select him as backup for Dhawan/Vijay. Played 3 matches : Scored 274 runs. And of course he has scored loads of runs before this season too. Its high time he gets to play. He did get a chance in the 4th test against Aus and I hope he continues to be a part of the test team. How can other slot be vacant when Vijay was the leading run scorer in our recent Test series? I agree he doesn't give much hope but what exactly has he done to be dropped? If he fails in practice matches there and the first test, then they'll play the backups which should include Gambhir if he does well on the A tour.
Fail and tested means he is no good for the future. Others have better chances to succeed is your opinion, not others.
Which tour? How do you know he will succeed in his next tour to Eng or Aus(provided he gets a chance)?
The exact way you know that he would fail in the future.
Yup, nothing wrong in him being selected for SA if he manages to do well in the SA A tour. But I think selectors will still select him as backup for Dhawan/Vijay.
That's obvious but we should have a Test series before heading to SA. Tri series makes no sense.
Played 3 matches : Scored 274 runs. And of course he has scored loads of runs before this season too. Its high time he gets to play. He did get a chance in the 4th test against Aus and I hope he continues to be a part of the test team.
So do I. As we all know he has got plenty of faults as well. I'm always in support of that guy but certain people need to stay back for him to get a place as a middle order batsman.
How can other slot be vacant when Vijay was the leading run scorer in our recent Test series? I agree he doesn't give much hope but what exactly has he done to be dropped? If he fails in practice matches there and the first test, then they'll play the backups which should include Gambhir if he does well on the A tour.
Dude, would you please read what I posted? I said if he fails in the first game, he should be dropped. And I really din't have much hope on Dhawan either as the Australia series was easy runs for our batsmen, good batting, yes but utter poor bowling. Dhawan impressed me more in these conditions. I know Vijay deserves it but I don't see Dhoni keeping Gambhir as a back up.

Gambhir has the talent and has won many games for India, always loves taking on the bowlers and especially when chips are down he plays well, his problem is more about working on the flaws that have crept in, Gambhir, Sehwag, with Dhawan and Sehwag coming in one down would be great for the team.

People forget Gambhir's contribution.. if it wasn't for him we'd probably not have the T20 and 50 over world cup in our kitty. He's a tough guy, just needs to clear his head. He was dropped once before during 2004-05 iirc.. and he made a strong come back. Expect him to do the same.

People forget Gambhir's contribution.. if it wasn't for him we'd probably not have the T20 and 50 over world cup in our kitty. He's a tough guy' date=' just needs to clear his head. He was dropped once before during 2004-05 iirc.. and he made a strong come back. Expect him to do the same.[/quote'] +1 i really do hope he sorts out his technical problem bcos he is one guy back in 2009 i thought who will carry batting after 3 legends retire :(

This is the problem we have. People obsessed with what players like Gambhir did years ago. He's been awful recently and does not warrant another look til he improves. Gambhir must be head and shoulders above the Rohits in batting as he sucks at fielding and can't bowl. Until he is his place is unwarranted. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This is the problem we have. People obsessed with what players like Gambhir did years ago. He's been awful recently and does not warrant another look til he improves. Gambhir must be head and shoulders above the Rohits in batting as he sucks at fielding and can't bowl. Until he is his place is unwarranted. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Thats the issue, gambir is very one dimensional. Say his batting doesnt click there is very little use of him. He is not a great fielder by any stretch of the imagination. Never stands in critical positions, not exactly agile or tall?!! On the other hand the likes of Dhawan, Sharma, Raina, Jadeja, Vijay, Kohli, Karthik are more like hayenas within the inner circle sensing a kill.