Fatwa against coeducation by Sunni seminary in India

THX_1138

A prominent sunni seminary's head cleric has issued a fatwa against coeducation for children of islamic parents (i say children of islamic parents rather than islamic children, since i do not subscribe the notion of being born into a particular faith, and anyone at the age of reason would abhor religion). The cleric stated that children above the age of 10 must not study in an institution where both genders are permitted to mingle in a classroom. Though this fatwa is hardly legally binding, it is bound to have some ramifications amongst conservative and orthodox parents who might withdraw their daughters or sons from coeducational public schools and opt for either radical gender separated religious schools. While the voices of reason have not been completely silent, the All India Muslim Personal Law Board and the All India Muslim Women Personal Law Board remarked that coeducation has been deemed to be not un-islamic, one might find posing the inquiry about the extend of influence of such arbitrary and rather capricious clerics and their periodic statements. The economic status of a majority of muslims in india is beyond pitiful due to a plethora of reasons, the most prominent of which are exclusion and isolation by the majority hindu community and a lack of a proper scientific education, such declarations can only worsen the divide and thus lead to growth of a resentful minority that has from global observations often resorted to extreme measures. while i oppose a censure of the cleric for his statements, he has after all, every right to practice his religion and his statements are not legally binding, greater exposure to the benefits of scientific education is required in the muslim community. however, i do find it appauling that the cleric would issue such an illogical statement when just beyond the borders, an approach similar to the one suggested by him is leading to disastrous consequences. i wonder if he gets the daily news...

man this is getting way too much.. i really cudnt stand these BSs.. why those ppl give too much importance to these trivial stuffs is hard for me to comprehend.. for me these stuffs seems to b anything but commonsense.. i wish i have the power to abolish all the religions. world will then b lot more peaceful..

What is wrong with these people? They seem to be winding the clock backwards and going back to few centuries ago :omg_smile: Don't these guys have anything better to do than put fatwa on anything and everything under the sun. I'm sure there were no educational institutions back in those days that were of similar set up as in now. In that case how can they draw conclusions on co-ed?

Is there no single law in India btw? Is it different for different religious sects? The govt should ban anyone from passing anything as law other than what is already put in place by ministry of corrections or something.

That's a bit odd in that case. One act of crime in one of the law can be OK with another then. Isn't the law contradicting then?
Yep. For example, a Muslim man can marry and have multiple wives just because Prophet could. But a Hindu cannot have multiple wives ! He can be arrested under criminal penal code.So Sad!:wink_smile: Seriously though , uniform civil code for basic fundamental rights like right to vote , right to property , marriage etc is a must in a secular democracy. No ifs and buts.

Guest dada_rocks

see they have to earn the fund they get from saudis. unless they do this drama fund will stop. just doing their job poor souls:giggle:

"The economic status of a majority of muslims in india is beyond pitiful due to a plethora of reasons, the most prominent of which are exclusion and isolation by the majority hindu community and a lack of a proper scientific education, such declarations can only worsen the divide and thus lead to growth of a resentful minority that has from global observations often resorted to extreme measures." That part is bull crap....these folks need to do some reality check before blaming someone else for their pathetic condition...these clerics need to be deported from the country to whichever jungle they came from.

man this is getting way too much.. i really cudnt stand these BSs.. why those ppl give too much importance to these trivial stuffs is hard for me to comprehend.. for me these stuffs seems to b anything but commonsense.. i wish i have the power to abolish all the religions. world will then b lot more peaceful..
well a single minded dedication to abolishment of all religion is a form of fundamentalism (and yes i am merely being pedantic). i think as rationale and science permeates the society deeper, people will automatically abandon ritual and religion.

What is wrong with these people? They seem to be winding the clock backwards and going back to few centuries ago :omg_smile: Don't these guys have anything better to do than put fatwa on anything and everything under the sun. I'm sure there were no educational institutions back in those days that were of similar set up as in now. In that case how can they draw conclusions on co-ed?
actually the very lack of scientific education put back the turkish ottomon empire by a millennium which would eventually spell doom for them. when the library of alexandria, egypt was stormed by the turkish islamic troops in c 500 AD, it is said that a manuscript and plans for construction of a steam engine were amongst the records that were later destroyed in a fire lit to reduce the library to rubble. the steam engine would not be reinvented some thousand years ago. some futurists feel that had this ignominious event, in which we lost over a thousand years of science and research, not occurred, we could have colonized moon by now. hyperbole aside, a society that turns its back on science is doomed without exception.

Is there no single law in India btw? Is it different for different religious sects? The govt should ban anyone from passing anything as law other than what is already put in place by ministry of corrections or something.
ravi, as i stated, this fatwa is not binding, and is certainly not law. we have a uniform code of law applicable to all religions, caste, societies etc. however, clerics such as this git cannot be prevented from issuing fatwas (since it is just as much their right to issue such fatwas as is the right of a local priest to state that all those who do no accept Jesus Christ as their lord and savior are doomed to the fiery depths of hell, or the local temple priest from stating that Lord Krsna is the supreme personality of Godhead). infact, any attempt to censure this priest would just rally more support behind him and make a martyr out of a douche bag.

Yep. For example' date=' a Muslim man can marry and have multiple wives just because Prophet could. But a Hindu cannot have multiple wives ! He can be arrested under criminal penal code.So Sad!:wink_smile: Seriously though , uniform civil code for basic fundamental rights like right to vote , right to property , marriage etc is a must in a secular democracy. No ifs and buts.[/quote'] the law is uniform and unequivocally states that you can have at most one wife at a time. enforcement of this law is another matter.

see they have to earn the fund they get from saudis. unless they do this drama fund will stop. just doing their job poor souls:giggle:
the wahabi priests are just as disliked in saudi arabia and qatar where they are primarily based, as they are despised here. they just have a lot of oil money.

This fatwa word has lost it's importance now' date=' it will fade pretty soon[/quote'] yeah i feel so too, but i cant help be amazed at the lack of logic and thought behind this fatwa. what kind of brain fart did this cleric suffer from at the moment of issuing this?

"The economic status of a majority of muslims in india is beyond pitiful due to a plethora of reasons' date= the most prominent of which are exclusion and isolation by the majority hindu community and a lack of a proper scientific education, such declarations can only worsen the divide and thus lead to growth of a resentful minority that has from global observations often resorted to extreme measures." That part is bull crap....these folks need to do some reality check before blaming someone else for their pathetic condition...these clerics need to be deported from the country to whichever jungle they came from.
mandrake, that is not my opinion but that of economists and independent bodies. there is no denying that there is a serious amount of discrimination against Muslims in india.