Who should come at no. 6 position?? Virat or Rohit

chainsmoker

Kohli failed in his only away series, and 50s were in one odd test at home. That is not sufficient to put him ahead of Rohit. Besides, Rohit outperformed him ODIs in WI ( I do not want to use ODI form, but that is only where u can compare them side by side) For this spot in coming tests - between the two - the only reliable parameter should be practice matches - there is one more coming up. As for Gambhir - he gets benefit of having performed over the years - which is not the case for Kohli vs Rohit. If Kohli can't acclimatise in 2 practice matches, and Rohit does - then why should Kohli get a chance in tests?
Kohli has 2 50s in his last test, isn't going to be dropped so soon.
Besides - those 2 50s were in home series, and we know what he did in WI tour. So, you can't say he is in better test form than Rohit - in a completely different setup. So, to pick between these two, I would rather rely on their performance in practice matches - than what they did in last 2 innings.... as I said - slightly better benchmark to pick between the two (for this away series) would be their abroad performance in WI tour - however since it was ODIs, it is not as significant as these practice matches.
I would like to believe that Kohli is improving as a Test player. That was a debut series, and he's made the bit of necessary adjustments to improve his technique and looked better now. Though there is a sea of difference between the flat Wankhede pitch and the MCG pitch, just the fact that he did well in his last Test is good enough to keep him in the first Test. The point here is not to compare the two players and judge who's better, but to give a decent run to a promising cricketer who is seemingly improving and has done reasonably well in the last two years. And also, as of now, we are just judging Rohit on the basis of one home series and a WI series he played a year back.
Kohli failed in his only away series, and 50s were in one odd test at home. That is not sufficient to put him ahead of Rohit. Besides, Rohit outperformed him ODIs in WI ( I do not want to use ODI form, but that is only where u can compare them side by side) For this spot in coming tests - between the two - the only reliable parameter should be practice matches - there is one more coming up. As for Gambhir - he gets benefit of having performed over the years - which is not the case for Kohli vs Rohit. If Kohli can't acclimatise in 2 practice matches, and Rohit does - then why should Kohli get a chance in tests?
but even kohli got century there in odis.. he only struggled in tests wht makes u think it would have been different for rohit? rohit stuggled in odis in south africa..where kohli out performed him so easily and was our best batsmen dont go by looks.. kohli's technique works for him.. he has very good cover drive..plays straight and has so much time and rohit only is consistent against west indies that to only in odis kohli on the other hand has been consistent against all sides in odis in all conditions
I would like to believe that Kohli is improving as a Test player. That was a debut series' date=' and he's made the bit of necessary adjustments to improve his technique and looked better now. Though there is a sea of difference between the flat Wankhede pitch and the MCG pitch, just the fact that he did well in his last Test is good enough to keep him in the first Test. The point here is not to compare the two players and judge who's better, but to give a decent run to a promising cricketer who is seemingly improving and has done reasonably well in the last two years. And also, as of now, we are just judging Rohit on the basis of one home series and a WI series he played a year back.[/quote'] let me ask again - why should Kohli be picked over Rohit, if Rohit acclimatizes better in two practice matches in conditions - which are better indicator of what they might face in tests.
:facepalm: read above posts - why those 50s mean nothing for tests in Australia.
Don't have to read them. Runs scored in tests anywhere are good. Its not that Kohli failed in SA or Eng (where he played ODIs). Combine his great ODI form with his his last test, and it would be difficult to drop him. Rohit's form has been stunning as well, but as of now Kohli is/should be ahead of him.
let me ask again - why should Kohli be picked over Rohit' date=' if Rohit acclimatizes better in two practice matches in conditions - which are better indicator of what they might face in tests.[/quote'] ur mistaken mate.. if this was test match then only u can say this ok let me ask simple question.. ur saying kohli odi performance should not be considered for selection cos it not test then why should this 2 day game which isnt even international be considered? kohli was better than rohit in south africa kohli got 100 in england rohit actually struggled in south africa..
let me ask again - why should Kohli be picked over Rohit' date=' if Rohit acclimatizes better in two practice matches in conditions - which are better indicator of what they might face in tests.[/quote'] Let me answer again - Kohli has done well in his last Test and needs to be given a run. I would not read too much into performances in a couple of practise games, one of which is not even an FC match. The worst way of breaking a talented youngster's confidence is by not giving him a run. What's the hurry in getting Rohit into the team right now? Let Virat continue in the Tests, and if he fails Rohit is always there to show how well he can perform. Let people be judged in 'real' matches rather than acclimatization matches against 2nd rung-3rd rung bowling. If these two games would be taken so seriously, then would you prefer Rahane instead of these two in case Rahane scores a big century and these two fail in the next tour game?

Let me re-iterate - It should be criminal to say - practice matches should not be taken seriously. If you disagree on this - then no point discussing further. Going by ODI forms - in similar conditions, esp abroad - in past 6 months, Rohit outperformed Kohli significantly (I hope you watched WI tour). Performance in one odd test match on a flat track is not sufficient to give him chance ahead of Rohit - in completely alien conditions. That is where practice matches become important. Rohit is not alien to Aussie conditions, in fact he is more experienced (backed by performance) in Aussie conditions, even though it was in ODIs. So - going by history, esp recent (which is mostly based on ODIs) - both are at par, and one odd test match should not give Kohli sure-shot claim at the spot. Most important differentiator at this moment should be "Practice matches". If Kohli can't perform in these, he must be himself to blame.

Let me re-iterate - It should be criminal to say - practice matches should not be taken seriously. If you disagree on this - then no point discussing further.
A half-century in a non-FC practice match played on a flat track (very diff from the tracks they'll get in the Tests) against 'unheard of' bowlers is no criteria for a Test berth. I don't rate these practise matches too highly, so let's agree to disagree.

Virat is current incumbent, perhaps he should have been and Rohit should have been instead. But that is not the point, itd be unfair given his last test knock to drop him now. Hope he scores in next match to give him some confidence, but I would think he should play test 1 anyway

A half-century in a non-FC practice match played on a flat track (very diff from the tracks they'll get in the Tests) against 'unheard of' bowlers is no criteria for a Test berth. I don't rate these practise matches too highly, so let's agree to disagree.
sure - we can agree to disagree on subjective matters, but I think you are ignoring some objective parameters here. Why the more 'talented/deserving' batsman not able to take advantage of "doesn't matter" conditions? I am not using different parameters to compare, I am using a parameter which is closer indicator of Aussie test conditions.
Virat is current incumbent' date=' perhaps he should have been and Rohit should have been instead. [b']But that is not the point, itd be unfair given his last test knock to drop him now. Hope he scores in next match to give him some confidence, but I would think he should play test 1 anyway
This. Kohli should/will play the first test. That being said, Sharma will also get his chances during this tour.
sure - we can agree to disagree on subjective matters, but I think you are ignoring some objective parameters here. Why the more 'talented/deserving' batsman not able to take advantage of "doesn't matter" conditions? I am not using different parameters to compare, I am using a parameter which is closer indicator of Aussie test conditions.
It's funny I am arguing so hard for Kohli here, since I like Rohit much more (as have mentioned a thousand times before) and think he's far more talented than Kohli and deserved the Test berth before Kohli did. My points in favour of Kohli are simple - He's in good nick, played well in his last Test, and every player deserves to be given a good run to show his potential. Rohit can wait now. The parameter you are using to compare them right now is one insignificant match whose conditions are nowhere close to the conditions in which they'll actually play. Anyone can get out cheaply in ONE match. For all you know, Kohli might get a fifty in the next and Rohit can get out cheaply. That will still prove nothing. You can compare two players if they are on equal footing, but for me, Kohli has a slight edge already (because of his last Test performance) and it will remain the same till Kohli fails in the first two Tests.
It's funny I am arguing so hard for Kohli here' date= since I like Rohit much more (as have mentioned a thousand times before) and think he's far more talented than Kohli and deserved the Test berth before Kohli did. My points in favour of Kohli are simple - He's in good nick, played well in his last Test, and every player deserves to be given a good run to show his potential. Rohit can wait now. The parameter you are using to compare them right now is one insignificant match whose conditions are nowhere close to the conditions in which they'll actually play. Anyone can get out cheaply in ONE match. For all you know, Kohli might get a fifty in the next and Rohit can get out cheaply. That will still prove nothing. You can compare two players if they are on equal footing, but for me, Kohli has a slight edge already (because of his last Test performance) and it will remain the same till Kohli fails in the first two Tests.
:haha: and its funny I am taking Rohit's side, as I like Kohli's attitude, but yes I like Rohit's technique more and want to see him playing tests.

hmm personally i am tilting towards Kohli cause he deserves to be given a fair run. But i would play both of them in the next warm up. If there is a significant difference then only pick Rohit. Sachin and Laxman looked in very good touch. Rest one of them for Kohli and Rohit to play Drop Rahane for first choice Sehwag Sehwag Gambhir Dravid Sachin Rohit Kohli Dhoni People are saying Kohli will play, but i found it rather odd how Rohit came in earlier than Kohli. Not a good choice if Kohli is to play. I would want my number 6 to face as many balls as possible. Just a theory on my part.