Today - India At Olympics 2012

Cricketics

Somdev bows out. He was coming from injury, and didnt play any match for about 6 months. Vishnu Vardhan up next, who should be a lot more prepared than his high ranked fellow Indian Somdev. I so wish Yuki was here. Yuki would have beaten Somdev's opponent Jarko Niemenen

We are probably the worst sporting country in the world by a mile... Even countries like Kazakhstan and Slovakia have gotten medals.. Sadly,I dont see this changing (ever)
This is the best time to be a crazy sports fan. It is also the worst time to be an Indian :(( seems like every Olympics gets me depressed a little bit these days. 3rd day, over 30 countries with medals. We have none, and we are more worried about the girl who showed up for no reason!! We deserve it Yoda saab. Chaliye daroo peeke ghum galat karte hain

We are probably the worst sporting country in the world by a mile... Even countries like Kazakhstan and Slovakia have gotten medals.. Sadly,I dont see this changing (ever)
I am more positive about that because 1) I think there has been some change in the attitude of parents vis-a- vis participation in sports- compared to few years ago it was all about becoming doctor/engineer but there is some shift now (although will take long time) 2) new generation's outlook towards fitness is changing although not to the athletic level yet 3) corporate sponsorships, more money pouring in can lead to better facilities, training etc- too much money in cricket for now vs. other sports but if things change there is every possibility that athletes will compete to win rather than participate Now if the corruption diversions and useless committees filling their own pockets rather than promoting sports does not stop then it is very hard and the reliance on medals will be on one or two rich talented enthusiasts willing to spend their own money to win.

you sound disappointed. but this is a choice that people in the country have made. indian kids choose to become nerds. their parents want them to be good at academics and think of sports as 'khel kud'. they also don't want their kids playing outside because the sun will darken their skin and make them less suitable for marriage. every single fresh off the boat indian in a foreign country looks completely out of shape. how do you expect people to become athletes with this kind of attitude? india's lack of olympic success is merely a reflection of how indian ppl don't give a flying **** about sport.
I think some of it is changing Manny although most of it still applies. Never understood the rationale behind parents not wanting kids to play outside for fear if darker skin- i guess that's another topic that has been discussed on the obsession with fair skin and equating beautiful (or handsome) to "gora" complexion. Just saw the commercial where a guy suddenly becomes handsome and starts attracting all the girls after applying "fair and handsome" !!! It is promoted so blatantly that its not even funny.

the rowers look like a good shot. swaran singh into the quarterfinals, single scull. one finish away from the semis (medal rd).

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Specials/Sports/Olympics2012/Chunk-HT-UI-Olympics-Discipline-Rowing/Through-to-quarters-Swarn-eyes-history/SP-Article10-903704.aspx On Saturday, he missed the mark by a whisker, but on Sunday, he made up for the loss to enter the quarterfinals of the single scull event. Now, Swarn Singh (22) has set his sights on becoming the first Indian rower to enter the semifinals of the Olympic Games. "Yesterday, I created a national record (6.54s), but the effort was not good enough to get me entry into the quarters. Today, I was a bit slow (7.00s) but achieved the mark. It's all part of the game and now I want to be at my best on Tuesday to make the semis cut," said Swarn. Till September 2009, Swarn had no idea what rowing sport was all about. "When I heard the word for the first time, my reaction was, 'what is rowing'." Today, he is competing in the sport at the world biggest arena. "I was at the Sikh Regimental Centre in Ranchi preparing for the Republic Day parade, when a senior asked me if I would be interested in rowing. That time, I had no idea about the sport, but I said yes," recalled the Services rower. "I was picked up for the sport only because of my height. The Army team was looking for boys above 185cm in height. I was tall as well as fit, so my seniors recommended my name. Later, I was sent to Pune to join the Army rowing camp." At that time, Swarn's aim was to get a promotion. And, it was only after he joined the India camp that his perspective changed. "I am from a humble background and I joined the Army only for money. When I was picked for rowing, I came to know that if I won a medal at the nationals, I would get a promotion. So, initially, it was just the promotion, which was my driving force. But, after winning gold at the 2011 Ranchi National Games, I was selected for the India camp and subsequently my perspective changed. "I came across Asian Games gold-medallist, Bajrang Lal Takhar, and came to know what Olympics is all about," said the rower. Swarn still remembers the days when he used to run alongside a horse to improve his endurance, which would help him clear the Army's physical test. "At that time, I was running to get a job, but the endurance I developed then is helping me now. That's why I've been able to reach this level in such a short span of time," said Swarn.
good luck to him a double scull pair of manjeet singh and sandeep kumar is also one round away from the semis. look out for all 3 on the 31st.

We are worst otherwise as well .Forget sport.

Here you go folks. Todays schedule. Today I copy pasted so credit to that guy

Time      Discipline        Category                                        Player/s
------   ------------      ----------                                         --------------
4:00     Shooting       Qualification Men's  10m Air Rifle      Narang Gagan, Bindra Abhinav
5:57     Archery        Women  Individual Round 1/32            LAISHRAM Bombayla Devi   vs  PSARRA Evangelia
7:15     Shooting       Finals  Men's  10m Air Rifle
10:00    Boxing         81 kg  Round of 32                      SANGWAN Sumit            vs  FALCAO FLORENTINO Yamaguchi
11:00    Hockey         Men's Preliminary Round                 INDIA                    vs  Netherlands
13:30    Badminton      Women's single Group Stage              Nehwal Saina             vs  Tan Lianne
14:05    Badminton      Women's double Group Stage              GUTTA J / PONNAPPA A     vs  CHENG WH / CHIEN YC
19:00    Tennis         Men's Double First Round                VARDHAN Vishnu           vs  Kavcic Blaz
19:00    Tennis         Men's single First Round                BHUPATHI M / BOPANNA R   vs  BURY A / MIRNYI M
19:00    Tennis         Men's Double First Round                PAES L / VARDHAN V       vs  HAASE R / ROJER JJ

the rowers look like a good shot. swaran singh into the quarterfinals, single scull. one finish away from the semis (medal rd). good luck to him --------------------- http://www.hindustantimes.com/Specia...10-903704.aspx On Saturday, he missed the mark by a whisker, but on Sunday, he made up for the loss to enter the quarterfinals of the single scull event. Now, Swarn Singh (22) has set his sights on becoming the first Indian rower to enter the semifinals of the Olympic Games. "Yesterday, I created a national record (6.54s), but the effort was not good enough to get me entry into the quarters. Today, I was a bit slow (7.00s) but achieved the mark. It's all part of the game and now I want to be at my best on Tuesday to make the semis cut," said Swarn. Till September 2009, Swarn had no idea what rowing sport was all about. "When I heard the word for the first time, my reaction was, 'what is rowing'." Today, he is competing in the sport at the world biggest arena. "I was at the Sikh Regimental Centre in Ranchi preparing for the Republic Day parade, when a senior asked me if I would be interested in rowing. That time, I had no idea about the sport, but I said yes," recalled the Services rower. "I was picked up for the sport only because of my height. The Army team was looking for boys above 185cm in height. I was tall as well as fit, so my seniors recommended my name. Later, I was sent to Pune to join the Army rowing camp." At that time, Swarn's aim was to get a promotion. And, it was only after he joined the India camp that his perspective changed. "I am from a humble background and I joined the Army only for money. When I was picked for rowing, I came to know that if I won a medal at the nationals, I would get a promotion. So, initially, it was just the promotion, which was my driving force. But, after winning gold at the 2011 Ranchi National Games, I was selected for the India camp and subsequently my perspective changed. "I came across Asian Games gold-medallist, Bajrang Lal Takhar, and came to know what Olympics is all about," said the rower. Swarn still remembers the days when he used to run alongside a horse to improve his endurance, which would help him clear the Army's physical test. "At that time, I was running to get a job, but the endurance I developed then is helping me now. That's why I've been able to reach this level in such a short span of time," said Swarn. ----------
wow, great story Sawarn Singh. A couple of years and into the Olympics. I was watching the repechage and the commentator mentioned that 10-15 years ago the top guys were aiming to clock just below the 7 minute mark. He clocked around 6:54 I think in the first heat and around 7 in the repechage. :two_thumbs_up:

Time      Discipline        Category                                        Player/s
------   ------------      ----------                                         --------------
4:00     Shooting       Qualification Men's  10m Air Rifle      Narang Gagan, Bindra Abhinav
5:57     Archery        Women  Individual Round 1/32            LAISHRAM Bombayla Devi   vs  PSARRA Evangelia
10:00    Boxing         81 kg  Round of 32                      SANGWAN Sumit            vs  FALCAO FLORENTINO Yamaguchi
11:00    Hockey         Men's Preliminary Round                 INDIA                    vs  Netherlands
13:30    Badminton      Women's single Group Stage              Nehwal Saina             vs  Tan Lianne
14:05    Badminton      Women's double Group Stage              GUTTA J / PONNAPPA A     vs  CHENG WH / CHIEN YC
19:00    Tennis         Men's Double First Round                VARDHAN Vishnu           vs  Kavcic Blaz
19:00    Tennis         Men's single First Round                BHUPATHI M / BOPANNA R   vs  BURY A / MIRNYI M
19:00    Tennis         Men's Double First Round                PAES L / VARDHAN V       vs  HAASE R / ROJER JJ

chak de phatte cricketics. today is a big day :two_thumbs_up:

Thanks tics bhai...we are winning one medal today for sure :two_thumbs_up:

Just imagine what a boost for the contingent it would be if India somehow manages to beat(i know its very difficult) the Netherlands.
I hope India wins against Dutch in men's hockey but I am sure supporting Dutch women hockey team :winky::winky: