There goes the greatest batting lineup..

We've been debating Richards & Tendu's greatness. Did WI or the opponents ever believe EVEN BEFORE the start of an innings, that a batting lineup with Viv on it, can never save/win a game like this ? When was the last time SRT gave us that hope ?

Neither Sehwag' date=' nor Yuvraj is a loser.[/quote'] So you think Sehwag would have done better than Karthik or Yuvraj better than Laxman? Sehwag couldn't score 20 runs in all the innings put together against England in the last series at home barring that zero pressure 70 odd in the 140 run chase. Yuvraj, in tests is a deemed failure.
You should follow your own advice. Hindsight really is a great tool; i loved how you gleefully kept bumping threads everytime Tendulkar scored those 90's. Why aren't you bumping them now, eh ? :haha:
Well i was thinking about doing it but it just so frustation to see these top players fail to deliever in the big games. How long are we going to hang on to the 04 series played in aus and we didnt even win that series.
the spirit of predator's post is that we need to get more young blood like KKD. but the irony is that predator thought karthick would be a total failure in englistan. :haha:
Failure as an opener, yes. I still don't expect much from him if he continues batting as opener on this tour. Let's see what happens.
Why the hell should i discuss test cricket when India are playing ODIs ? I can't be bothered to repeat myself over and over again for those with short-attention spans. You should follow your own advice. Hindsight really is a great tool; i loved how you gleefully kept bumping threads everytime Tendulkar scored those 90's. Why aren't you bumping them now, eh ? :haha: Just so you know, i called for Tendulkar to be dropped after the home series vs England on the old board. My stance on this has been clear for ages. A few ODI knocks isn't going to change anything.
I kept bumping threads ? Are you sure ? The last time when i opened a thread on Sachin was when he scored that 99 against saffies , And that was more than a month ago. I am not into the habit trying to get one-up one people who had called for Sachin to be dropped. After that thread , i have consciously toned down my Sachin-nama , despite the fact that there have been numerous sachin threads after that. You can check the threads if you want , or i can quote things for you too. As i have told before , if you had maintained your calls for Sachin or for that matter anybody to be dropped ALWAYS , its creditable. Keeping quiet when things go relatively well and then starting the chorus again when it gets wrong lacks pedigree.
So you think Sehwag would have done better than Karthik or Yuvraj better than Laxman? Sehwag couldn't score 20 runs in all the innings put together against England in the last series at home barring that zero pressure 70 odd in the 140 run chase. Yuvraj, in tests is a deemed failure.
Flawed logic. You are taking the worst of Sehwag & comparing it with the best of Karthik. (Am not saying Karthik is not good, there is room for both - sehwag can bat in the middle order). The same useless Sehwag was the most dominant performer series after series not too long ago. Why do we use a diff yardstick for sehwag ? He'd have done no worse than the Bradman clone or even Laxman, if he batted in the middle/late order after ball stops doing much.
Flawed logic. You are taking the worst of Sehwag & comparing it with the best of Karthik. (Am not saying Karthik is not good, there is room for both - sehwag can bat in the middle order).
Changing positions so soon, are we? Till recently you wanted Sehwag to open. How does the middle order thing come in after a good innings by Karthik that the present day Sehwag can only play in his dreams. And in the present context comparison of the worst of Sehwag and best of Karthik makes sense because that's how the reality is. Sehwag was arguably the second best opener of the decade but the operative word is "was". Till he shows signs of coming back to form he deserves to sit out.
The same useless Sehwag was the most dominant performer series after series not too long ago. Why do we use a diff yardstick for sehwag ? He'd have done no worse than the Bradman clone or even Laxman, if he batted in the middle/late order after ball stops doing much.
The irony of the post is amazing. You are telling me that I am extrapolating and making assumptions I should not and then go on to describe how Sehwag would have fared in the middle order.

I am new to these posts.. but its really sad to see the typical cricketing response from predator about dropping the senior players whenever they fail.. I am not saying they are doing good but when every1 shows doubt in their ability it puts too much pressure on the batsmen to stick around and not play their game... and who are the bright and shiny youngsters who can play the swinging ball better in england.. no answer exactly.. I think this team has the ability they just need the support of the fans and confidence in their ability

Changing positions so soon, are we? Till recently you wanted Sehwag to open. How does the middle order thing come in after a good innings by Karthik that the present day Sehwag can only play in his dreams. And in the present context comparison of the worst of Sehwag and best of Karthik makes sense because that's how the reality is. Sehwag was arguably the second best opener of the decade but the operative word is "was". Till he shows signs of coming back to form he deserves to sit out.
Not really. Sehwag batted in the middle order in the last test vs SA & scored a decent 40+, while he was failing in single digits, as an opener. If anything, it only lends more support to the theory that Sehwag would only be better in the middle order. In these conditions, bowlers are bound to produce a wicket taking delivery regularly, so u gotta make your time at the crease count. Batting time wont work, unless u are Rahul Dravid.
The irony of the post is amazing. You are telling me that I am extrapolating and making assumptions I should not and then go on to describe how Sehwag would have fared in the middle order.
Continuing the status quo (Sehwag batting in the middle order in the last test) is an irony ?
Not really. Sehwag batted in the middle order in the last test vs SA & scored a decent 40+, while he was failing in single digits, as an opener.
He was outscored by both Tendulkar and Ganguly in the middle order, guys whose head you are asking.
Continuing the status quo (Sehwag batting in the middle order in the last test) is an irony ?
Second innings of the same test he opened. So, yes it's an irony.

What Sehwag would or would not have done is moot, Shwetabh. I take strong exception to your description of him as a "loser" however. Sehwag is not a loser. He doesn't think like a loser, he doesn't play like one, and his record cries out against such utterly ridiculous adjectives used to describe him. This was the man who faced Shoaib, Sami, Shabbir and Saqlain in their backyard and hammered the shyte out of them, the man who despatched McGrath to all corners of Chennai, while others wilted around him, the man whose double hundred India blew in their meek capitulation against Pakistan at Bangalore, and another near double hundred at Melbourne was scored when the rest lost their nerve. This is the man who showed us the infinite possibilities that bless a positive attitude. I am sorry, but you cannot call him a loser. Absolute sacrilege.

Dhondy, Sehwag was not a loser and I agree with your lucid description of his attitude completely. Sehwag is a loser now. He refuses to lose weight, has not improved his technique against the incoming delivery, and has not put runs on the board in the last year and a half except on pattas. Such obstinacy makes him a loser not his past attitude and achievements.

Dhondy' date=' Sehwag[b'] was not a loser and I agree with your lucid description of his attitude completely. Sehwag is a loser now. He refuses to lose weight, has not improved his technique against the incoming delivery, and has not put runs on the board in the last year and a half except on pattas. Such obstinacy makes him a loser not his past attitude and achievements.
Sehwag has failed in four, yes, precisely four back to back Tests. Let's see you use the same criteria and brand Tendulkar and Dravid losers.
He was outscored by both Tendulkar and Ganguly in the middle order, guys whose head you are asking.
Circular reasoning. If i reason like that Bradman clone would be the first to go, as there are numerous games in recent history, when he was clearly the 'loser', as per your definition. You dont discard Sehwag because his rivals in the middle order scored 10 or 20 runs more than him because Sehwag has a special ability that others lack. The real losers (the fab four) have been consistently driving this team to the ground in the last 3 years and not a peep from any fans, about it. But we are happy to make scape goats out of a Sehwag or a Yuvraj, because they dont have as much "reputation" How come 'His greatness' escapes your criticism ? What has he done significantly BETTER than the rest to continue playing ? Does performance apply as a criteria at all to him, or is it only for mortals ?
Let's see you use the same criteria and brand Tendulkar and Dravid losers.
If Sehwag had scored as much as these guys in the past, he would be given the same length of rope as I extend to them(not that it matters because I have no say in India's team selection). Fact is he has not and his rope ran out. Tendulkar's rope is coming to an end as well.