PIOs Football Players Watch thread

hari504504

We could atleast be competitive against the likes of Iraq for a start.. :hitler: AIFF and their stupid policies. When Michael Chopra came forward to play for us, they asked him to throw away his british passport and get an Indian one :haha: Our football will never progress unless we have 1983 Kapil-esque moment in it.. which should be the Asia Cup.

Whats with the anglicized/westernized first name and Indian last name combinations. :cantstop: Nicholas Nath? :P

Now read about the sports ministry's order . Rubbish !
Is it a GoI directive? Then how could Robin Singh play for India?

Whats with the anglicized/westernized first name and Indian last name combinations. :cantstop: Is it a GoI directive? Then how could Robin Singh play for India?
Most of them are of mixed parentage. Its not what Russell Peters calls 'trying to fit in' :haha: It is a sports ministry directive after a high court order. Affected Prakash Amritrak and Sunita Rao as well, who have previously represented us. http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ill-give-up-my-us-passport-to-play-for-ind/402929/
As part of the tennis probables for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, Shikha Uberoi (picture right) has been training at the DLTA Complex camp for the past few weeks. But with reports that she may not be eligible to take part in any multi-sport event as an Indian because of a sports ministry decision that only Indian passport holders could represent the country, the 25-year-old said on Thursday that she was willing to give up her US citizenship if needed. If this government decision, based on a directive by the Delhi High Court, which was hearing a petition filed by the family of squash player Karm Kumar who wasnÃÕ allowed to take part in the selection trials for the Asian junior championships because he holds a British passport is carried forward, it could affect not just Shikha, but also tennis players Prakash Amritraj and Sunitha Rao. While Prakash and Sunitha could not be reached for comments, Shikha said: Ū had an Indian passport earlier, and I stay in Mumbai now. If need be, IÃÃl give up my American passport. Ū donÃÕ understand the ruling, weÃÓe sportspersons who work really hard for the country, and all we want to do is play. IÃÎ not a multinational corporation whoÃÔ here to take everyoneÃÔ money, IÃÎ a tennis player. I come in peace, with forehands and backhands, she said while in town to play the $50,000 ITF WomenÃÔ Circuit event. A PIO (Person of Indian Origin) card-holder, she added: Ū was requested to play Fed Cup for India, and IÃÎ very happy to be doing that. If getting a bunch of documents is going to make me a better Indian than somebody else, then thatÃÔ what IÃÃl do,

According to that article the HC directive is fairly recent ( mid 2000s). Does that mean that PIOs used to play for the Indian football team before that? Or were at least eligible to? Strange, because I haven't heard of any. Anyways, my take on the whole issue is: These guys haven't learned the game in India. They've learned the game in the UK/Norway/Germany etc and its in those countries that they've grown up in. Many of them aren't Indian nationals. What sense logical or ethical, in having them play for India? I never agreed with Robin Singh representing India either. Think of it from the viewpoint of football in India. If we're going to poach better players of Indian or partially Indian lineage from the West, our local guys will never get the chance to play and compete internationally. That will not improve the level of football in India at all. Instead of sending scouts to irrelevant Euro countries looking for lost Indian tribes, our football body should rather invest that money in promoting football in India. What next? We started drafting in Gypsies because they were Indian too, once upon a time. :P For once, the GoI order makes sense.

According to that article the HC directive is fairly recent ( mid 2000s). Does that mean that PIOs used to play for the Indian football team before that? Or were at least eligible to? Strange, because I haven't heard of any. Anyways, my take on the whole issue is: These guys haven't learned the game in India. They've learned the game in the UK/Norway/Germany etc and its in those countries that they've grown up in. For once, the GoI order makes sense.
It is no secret that the level of football in Asia in general isn't that high..case in point is that we have made no progress over the years, except for beating the likes of Krygstan (or is it Kazakhstan) in some pointless tournament. Our biggest footballing icons.. Bhutia and now Chhetri are rejects from lower-tier European and US clubs. It is a lost cause.Utlimately the game is the biggest loser, losing fans to Cricket. We need some quality in our team, and the quickest way is to get it from leagues that are at a higher level. This would catalyse the team and win something serious for a change, inspire youngsters into taking up the sport. Once we have a decent talent pool, can always shut the door - its a temporary measure.