Technique of batsman in the video : Is it exquisite or not ?

Guest BossBhai

Technique of batsman in the video : Is it exquisite or not ?  

1. 1.

• Yes The Technique is exquisite.
    • No it is not.

Hobbs had both technique and reflexes. One of his innings that oft gets mentions is the one played in 4th innings in Melbourne 1928. It was a "sticky" wicket (uncovered wicket) where deliveries from spinners would jump higher than a pace bowler from good length. You cant do that against quality spinners like Clarrie Grimette unless you have both technique and reflexes. This innings of Hobbs is one of those that Bradman spoke very highly of. http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/62564.html By the by in keeping with the theme of this thread the game mentioned above had some all time greats - Woodfull, Richardson, Ryder, Bradman, Oldfield, Grimett from Australia and Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond, Larwood, Jardine, Chapman, Tate etc from England.
You really have one of the most funny way of arguments. You try to counter macro-level arguments with micro level argument. if somebody tells that Australia smoked India in test series of 2011-12, you'll will pull out following report, will use some rhetorical statements and will declare that India was absolute gold in that series. http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2011/content/story/546988.html You'll counter argument of India being poorer than US by comparing Mukesh Ambani's wealth with wealth of some random person living on 5th Av and 4th St in Phoenix. Hobbs was great for his time but was he "Ajar"? You can't neglect the fact that men were able to play international cricket until their grandsons start threatening to take their places, then playing standards would really have been low. If it was Hobbs only, then you could have made case of him having exceptional talent but there were just too many of them who continued playing in not only in their 40's but in their 50's as well, that too as part of two best teams of the world.
yeah ... make some random flippant smart ass comment and pretend to be a wiseman ... instead of this why don't you come up with a few names who have such technique and have made it to Test level and then go on to play 61 tests like Hobbs ? ohh wait I know the reason there is no such cricketer but your fat ego simply wont let you admit this in open.
Ha ha! Just remember where it all started and your simplistic question which makes no difference to the final result.
Hobbs was great for his time but was he "Ajar"? You can't neglect the fact that men were able to play international cricket until their grandsons start threatening to take their places, then playing standards would really have been low.
Do to this you would have to time travel wouldn't it? To compare any two identities, one needs to have a common denominator. Do we have one? My personal opinion is NO.
second hand information. And most importantly none of them would have had the chance to visualize what it means to perform when standards are far higher. ohh wait you actually think the standards have fallen ... i forgot that :cantstop:
If you are going to use only your judgement .. you have to add "ACcodring to me" in everyone of your post. Don't speak for us. Some might rate Lara better than Tendulkar. Some might rate Sunny better than Tendulkar.
then name the players ... ohh wait you are the master of "well left" ... Chemical and biological locha positively.
Why? Doesn't matter in the bigger picture. I feel so sad - I've reduced an "All Time Great" argument to that of Hobbs technique being "exquisite" or not. :two_thumbs_up:
Do to this you would have to time travel wouldn't it? To compare any two identities' date=' one needs to have a common denominator. Do we have one? My personal opinion is NO.[/quote'] I hope you understand the meaning of word "Ajar". This is a hindi word which means a person who doesn't age. For example Hindu gods are considered Ajar (don't age) and Amar (don't die).
I hope you understand the meaning of word "Ajar". This is a hindi word which means a person who doesn't age. For example Hindu gods are considered Ajar (don't age) and Amar (don't die).
Unfortunately, I don't. Apologies. I took that word as being a GOAT. However, I think if you replace your word Ajar by GOAT, you may agree to what I've said. I would be very glad to solicit and accommodate your opinion on the matter.

Real reason why batsmen in earlier eras had such poor technique ...coz batsmen like Bradman, Trumper and Hobbs could fool spectators and folks like Cardus with their cr@ppy technique, but since 70s batsmen had to pull up their socks as BossBhai came along and batsmen couldn't skate along on such pathetic techniques. Hence the improvement in overall technique. It's not covered pitches, change in laws regarding field settings (5 men on leg and only 2 behind square), restriction on bouncers, improvement in equipment & conditions (heavier bats, helmets, smaller grounds, flatter pitches) etc. that impacted the game, the real reason was arrival of BossBhai who took it upon himself to show the world truth behind Bradman's average and Hobb's lack of technique. I am sure Bradman and Hobbs must be thanking god in heaven for not being around in BossBhai's time else they would have been compared to Ravindra Jadeja. BossBhai take a bow, you are the real game-changer as far as cricket is concerned :hail:

And what part of it is not true ? yeah why don't you actually use logic and facts to disprove what I say and I will actually retract my statements instead of resorting to silly peurile trolling ?
facts.. Sangakkara has better average than Tendulkar. So he is better than Tendulkar. counter this without using any filters.

:hysterical: and he gets offended and takes it as SRT bashing if someone suggests that BCL would have scored as many test runs (if not more) if he played as many tests as SRT. Both Lara and SRT played in the same time and are in the same league .... But he has no problems suggesting that even Rameez > Hammond and would have easily avg 60 if he played in Hammond's time :icflove:

And what part of it is not true ? yeah why don't you actually use logic and facts to disprove what I say and I will actually retract my statements instead of resorting to silly peurile trolling ?
Regarding your point... If any era is easy to bat.. then the bowlers average has to be very poor in that era.. If an era is easy to bowl.. batsman's average has to be very poor in that era. agree or not?
Fact : Batting avg is no longer the ONLY measure of deciding a batsman's quality.
Yes.. how to handle pressure is also a factor.. That is why Sachin fails big time in cruicial situations of Test matches to his own team mates. Tendulkar has played for 22 years. His very best test innings is not even remotely close to 281 by Laxman, 180 by Dravid or 201 by Sehwag
and along the way quietly went about downgrading Hobbs from a ATG as your beloved "Experts" (whom you trust BTW ) painted him ... to not even a great batsman by modern standards. Way to go :two_thumbs_up: . As they say Naak kat gayi phir be saala ahankar nahi gaya.
I never labeled anyone as a ATG. I have repeated that isn't possible. Please take time to read those posts. Someone wants to do that futile exercise and name his favorite player as an ATG. Paranoid schizophrenia.
Yes.. how to handle pressure is also a factor.. That is why Sachin fails big time in cruicial situations of Test matches to his own team mates. Tendulkar has played for 22 years. His very best test innings is not even remotely close to 281 by Laxman' date=' 180 by Dravid or 201 by Sehwag[/quote'] Or 233 by Dravid against Aussies or match-winning knocks played by Laxman over the last 2-3 years. I consider SRT similar to Peyton Manning (I can't find a similar player in cricket so have to fall on football) - both great players and automatic hall of famers but not quite good at the crunch or in clutch situations.