Sehwag's Sixer-Sachin no longer young now

Sehwag’s Sixer ‘Sachin no longer young now’

New Delhi, July 25 With an ageing Sachin Tendulkar slowing down, India discard Virender Sehwag today the time has come for himself and the likes of Mahendra Singh Dhoni to assume the responsibility of ripping apart the opposition attack.

“I think Dhoni and me have to fit into his (Tendulkar's) shoesâ€

''Tendulkar used to be the most explosive batsman in India. We grew up watching his explosive batting. But he is no longer young now and has changed his batting style. So, I think Dhoni and me have to fit into his (Tendulkar's) shoes,'' Sehwag said here. ''Dhoni is the most explosive batsman now,'' he responded when asked who among Tendulkar, himself and Dhoni was the more explosive batsman, at a media interaction during a health awareness function organised by Health Care Foundation of India. The Delhi batsman, who was dropped from national team after a prolonged form slump, was also confident of an India comeback very soon. ''I am hoping for a comeback in the England ODI series. The Twenty20 World Cup could also be a good platform to revive my career,'' said Sehwag, who has a strike rate of over 97 in the ODIs. The squad for the England ODI series to be played from August 21 to September 8 will be announced early next month. Sehwag has been included in the probables of 30 for the Twenty20 world Cup to be held in South Africa from September 11. The final squad of 15 will be announced on August 7. Sehwag said he had been working on his fitness and doing regular exercise to face the challenges ahead. ''I am spending around four hours a day to do fitness drill and batting on the nets. I spend at least two hours at the nets and the remaining on running sprints, long distances and stability training on springboard,'' he said. ''You have to work hard on your fitness and on your game if you are hungry to do well in your field,'' he replied when asked how hard was it to follow the routine of fitness exercises and batting practices. Asked on India's tepid performance at the Lord's, Sehwag said credit should be given to Dhoni for saving the match. ''I hope India will do well in the remaining two Tests and win the series,'' said the 28-year-old right handed batsman who has scored 4155 runs in 52 Tests at an average of just below 50 (49.46). Sehwag also disclosed that none of his India colleagues smoked cigarette and all of them were teetotallers but drank champagne whenever India won against arch rivals Pakistan or a series. ''I don't know about other teams (countries). But as far as I know none of Indian team members are smokers or drink alcohol,'' he said. When asked about his experience in the USA where he played at the LA Open Twenty20 tournament in Los Angeles, he said, ''The cricketing standard was not high as it was a club competition. But, the excitement was high.'' — UNI