Golden era of spin coming to an end

With Warne now retiring I feel one of the, if not the greatest era of spin bowling is coming to an end. As there have been 3 giants of spin for a decade or so in Murali, Warne and Kumble. Who have won so many tests it beggars belief. We have been priviliged and spoilt in having these spin wizards. We will not realise how lucky we have been having these guys and spin bowling may never be the same again in its dominance. With Kumble 36 and Murali nearly 35 these two are not getting any younger and may be gone in 2 or 3 years. There does not seem to be any young spinners in the world even near these 3 legends. The best of the bunch are the 2 turbinators Bhaji and Monty. However, they are not in the same class as these heavy weights. And apart from these two sikhs there is no one. A golden era for spin is coming to an end.

Re: Golden era of spin coming to an end Yep. Three of the greatest spinners of all time (perhaps even THE three greatest spinners of all time) playing in the same era...cant think of many other periods in cricketing history when this has happened, not in three different teams anyway. FTBs the world over- REJOICE!!

Re: Golden era of spin coming to an end

I think the second in line spinners will come to the fore now. Dan Vettori' date=' Monty and Harbhajan will take the prime seat for the next decade or so.[/quote'] Come on, those 3 are not fit to tie the shoe laces of Warne, Murali and Kumble. They are ok, but they are not all time greats. By mentioning someone like Vettori you just reaffirm that it is indeed soon to be the end of a golden era in spin

Re: Golden era of spin coming to an end Spinners hit their best form post 30s. I don't know why you don't rate Vettori :huh: What is it that you don't like in his bowling? He is accurate, gets fair bit of spin, has fantastic drift, his loop is excellent and has a good arm ball. In conditions like New Zealand to survive as a spinner requires a lot of skill. I don't know how much you follow him but he is one of the better left arm bowlers since a while.

Re: Golden era of spin coming to an end You never know DSR, both Harbhajan and Vettori have been around for a long time as they started pretty young. Both have shown they have class enough to trouble the best. They are about 26 years of age and can play for the next 10 years or so if they are consistent. They both have nearly 250 wickets or more already. I reckon they are capable of claiming another 350 wickets in the next ten years if they carry on that long. 35 test wickets a year is not too demanding at all if they keep their form. There is no point in comparing Murali to anyone, he is a one off. Even Warnie and Anil Kumble cannot match him. I don't reckon anyone will be able to catch up with Murali. :shrug: