When Democracies become Autocracies..

Ram

The recent spate of high-profile terrorist attacks in the world has resulted in a very unfortunate thing. In a bid to counter theses terrorists , many govts have enacted draconian laws that make a mockery of civil liberties. Chief among the culprits is the provision to hold a suspect without charge for upto 6 months even. The law makers justify this provision saying that it takes time to collect evidence against terror suspects and hence , they need more time than normal circumstances. But what has left the human right groups fuming is the blatant abuse of such laws and have been calling for their repeal . Sometimes caught in paranoia , western police round up people in random, even in cases where the suspicion wasnt on strong grounds. The govts say these laws are needed to protect the common man What is your take on it ? Do you think the personal freedom of some 500 people can be compromised for the overall good of the society ? Or do you feel every Individual's freedom is as precious and there is no place for such blatantly anti-human rights laws ?

On contrary my great country Bharat has no any credible laws to deal with terrorists. The first thing our new UPA government did was withdraw the POTA which NDA enacted so that "minority" will feel "secure". More Pathetic we are when compared to west...:shades_smile:

On contrary my great country Bharat has no any credible laws to deal with terrorists. The first thing our new UPA government did was withdraw the POTA which NDA enacted so that "minority" will feel "secure". Motre Pathetic we are when compared to west...:shades_smile:
It's a blessing in disguise I believe. With the amount of corrupt politicians we have, I can easily envision them exploiting these "terrorist-laws" for their own agendas.

It's a blessing in disguise I believe. With the amount of corrupt politicians we have' date=' I can easily envision them exploiting these "terrorist-laws" for their own agendas.[/quote'] Yea.. I have even seen some local politicians arrested under POTA. But I do wonder if , under the present circumstances , we may need some tough laws to deal with the terrorists.

It's a blessing in disguise I believe. With the amount of corrupt politicians we have' date=' I can easily envision them exploiting these "terrorist-laws" for their own agendas.[/quote'] Interest thing is that Congress ruled Maharashtra state had implemented similiar law spelled something like MOCA-- Maharshtra Organized Crime Act that was still in place, when POTA was cancelled by UPA. In fact cancellation of POTA by central governament was not due to fear of "exploitation" by neta-babus, but for nationwide Muslim appeasement or vote bank politics. Regarding corruption, I agree Corruption is now an integral part of our country... Also we have to accept the fact that it's not going to vanish any soon. But, even with such unfortunate realities, government should not compromize with internal security. I mean there are still many laws with several loopholes that can be exploited by neta-babus, but we haven't withdrawn them. as a matter of fact, we are still a developing nation, western countries which have more experience in democracy than us have much tougher laws, not to forget they deal with an iron fist when it comes to terrorism.

Guest dada_rocks

find me a piece og legislation which doesn't get misused.. and if we start dropping legislation on that basis we might as well throw the constitution in dump.. if sthg gets misused bring in provision to curb that there is no sense in dropping it altogether..

Ultimately, terrorism cannot be defeated militarily. The US is learning that now at their own discomfiture. While being tough is also important, what is more so is facing the political challenges created by the ideologies of the terrorists politically. Not at the cost of the humane laws that distinguish us from them.

Ultimately, terrorism cannot be defeated militarily. The US is learning that now at their own discomfiture. While being tough is also important, what is more so is facing the political challenges created by the ideologies of the terrorists politically. Not at the cost of the humane laws that distinguish us from them.
:thumbs_up: well said.