Indian Cricket League (ICL) related thread

The indian cricket league could really destroy the pak team and others. As many are considering joining it cos of the mass of money on offer. As to put it simply the money to be gained seems to be more then the money playing for some international teams! It certainly is going to hasten the retirement of many older players as they chase the indian rupee. Attapatu has already signed up. Inzi, Mo Yo and Razzaq are still considering the offer and have not rejected it. If this things succeds lesser earning international players could all be quitting to join it!

The indian cricket league could really destroy the pak team and others. As many are considering joining it cos of the mass of money on offer. As to put it simply the money to be gained seems to be more then the money playing for some international teams! It certainly is going to hasten the retirement of many older players as they chase the indian rupee. Attapatu has already signed up. Inzi, Mo Yo and Razzaq are still considering the offer and have not rejected it. If this things succeds lesser earning international players could all be quitting to join it!
Naah, no way they're gonna play.. Maybe just Inzi.. Now that Afridi, Shoaib have rejected the offers, expect others to follow suit. Wouldn't want to be labelled "gaddaar"

I think the impact of this league is understimated. There is serious money on offer. Look at Mcgrath. He has retired and could have easily played for an english county. Yet stayed retired. But money from ICL is so big he is considering it, same for Lara! Attapatu has already quit SL for ICL. Expect many more older players to possibly follow suit!

ICL sets up its website ICL sets up its website whereas the BCCI still havent updated their site since the Champions trophy. I think BCCI are also working extra hard to get their site working soon as when you visit their site, bcci.tv, you get the following error: :D Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046' Permission denied /index.asp, line 107 Here's ICL website. It looks decent enough. http://www.indiancricketleague.in/

I can see the ICL site alright.. Not bad to begin with. Hope they would put it on a faster server though. Wonder what happenned to the promised BCCI multimedia-rich site which was gonna broadcast local games, etc etc.. They caused such a hoopla over who to give the contract to.

It's almost a done deal - Farhat Out of favour opener Imran Farhat has became the first Pakistani cricketer to confirm he is on the verge of signing a lucrative deal with a breakaway Indian league. More... It's almost a done deal - Farhat August 16 2007 at 01:23PM Out of favour opener Imran Farhat on Thursday became the first Pakistani cricketer to confirm he is on the verge of signing a lucrative deal with a breakaway Indian league. "It's almost done and I am about to sign the deal to play in the India league," Farhat told AFP. His commitment is likely to earn him around 300,000 US dollars for a season but may cost him a place in the national side in the future. The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has warned that any player who chooses to participate in the multi-million-dollar rebel league will not be considered for future selection in the national team, but Farhat was unperturbed. "Look what has happened to me in the past six or seven months and I am not comfortable with that. I don't only want a central contract but I want playing opportunities," said Farhat, who was axed from the 15-man Pakistan squad for the Twenty20 World Cup. Top Pakistani cricketers were targeted for the breakaway Indian Cricket League (ICL), which is being bankrolled by Zee Telefilms, India's largest listed media company. Seven current players - captain Shoaib Malik, Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Asif, Shahid Afridi, Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf and Abdul Razzaq - were offered lucrative contracts to play in the ICL Twenty20 tournament. Akhtar, Malik, Asif, Afridi and Younis snubbed the offers while Yousuf and Razzaq - both dropped from next month's Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa and yet to sign with the PCB - are still considering their offers. Former captain Inzamam-ul-Haq, who retired from one-day cricket after Pakistan's first-round exit from the World Cup in the Caribbean, is also weighing his options. Most of the players linked to the ICL are retired, semi-retired or unable to hold a place in their national side. Farhat, a 27-year-old left-handed batsman, has scored 1,655 runs in 27 Tests and 974 runs in 33 one-day internationals. He was also overlooked for the 50-over World Cup held in the Caribbean earlier this year. Farhat was fined and reprimanded for a phone call he made to the chief selector Salahuddin Ahmed after he was not picked for a one-day series against Sri Lanka in May this year. The cricketer was then placed on six-months probation during which his behaviour and attitude were to be monitored. Farhat said he has sent a notice to the PCB asking them to release him from his players' contract. "I am a professional cricketer and get offers to play. What has happened with me shows that my future is not safe," he said.

Much of it is jsut rumour mongering with nothing concrete. Most news reports seem to be quoting "an anonymous source". I'll believe it when i see it. Personally, i don't know if the BCCI will even allow the ICL to exist. It's a far wealthier entity and has unwavering control over stadiums and television rights.