Indian Cricket League (ICL) related thread

20 crores ? He is not worth that much ! He is a bowler after all , and people come to 20/20 to see runs being scored.
20/20 is just the start. These players would not have signed 3 year contracts if there was no assurance from organizers for longer versions to e played soon. I expect 20/20 to happen this Oct/Nov and a OD tournament in Feb/Mar and 3/4 day matches also included from next year.

'Big names won't be tempted by ICL' - Vengsarkar Dilip Vengsarkar identified money as the chief reason behind the players joining ICL but was confident that the big players cannot be poached because they are "already getting plenty" playing for India. More... Chief selector says money the reason behind exodus 'Big names won't be tempted by ICL' - Vengsarkar Cricinfo staff August 22, 2007 spacer.gif Dilip Vengsarkar, India's chief selector, identified lucrative financial rewards as the driving factor behind players joining the ICL, but was confident that big-name players would not be tempted because they are "already getting plenty" playing for India. "Money, it appears, has been the main attraction," Vengsarkar told the Kolkata-based Telegraph. "They've made a choice... I don't think the biggest names will be tempted simply because they're already getting plenty. I doubt if they [those who have joined ICL] discussed things with either family or friends, though." Vengsarkar said, however, that the current situation was very different from the time he and five other Indian players (Bishen Singh Bedi, Sunil Gavaskar, Gundappa Viswanath, Bhagwat Chandrasekhar and Syed Kirmani) were approached by Kerry Packer's recruiters in 1978-79. "Then, we hardly got anything. There was just no money in international cricket." However, Vengsarkar admitted he was not sure what decision he would have taken then. The offer came late and Packer had reconciled with the establishment before Vengsarkar could decide. "Frankly, I don't know what decision I would've taken... I was, at that point, very young [22]." Meanwhile, Rohan Gavaskar has also confirmed an approach from the ICL, though he is yet to take a decision. "I've got an offer, yes, but haven't made up my mind," Gavaskar said. Bengal, the team Gavaskar plays for, has already lost seven players - Abhishek Jhunjhunwala, Deep Dasgupta, Laxmi Ratan Shukla, Shibsagar Singh, Subhomoy Das, Subhojit Paul and Syed Akhlakh Ahmed - to the ICL.

Something ICL may do that is not good for cricket is luring good enough domestic cricketers that are impatient. For instance Dhoni started to play late teens or early 20s. During this period Parthiv Patel was not too bad with the bat and was being backed by the seniors. If ICL existed then it is possible it could have lured Dhoni and BCCI promptly would have banned him. Similarly Karthik may have gone the same route. I think cricket is going to be hurt quite a bit by ICL. Cricket boards from around the world should accept ICL and promote good healthy competition. Player burn out is an issue if both existed but something can be worked out in the long run. I hope ICL will not be opposed by ICC and rest of the cricketing boards.

Something ICL may do that is not good for cricket is luring good enough domestic cricketers that are impatient. For instance Dhoni started to play late teens or early 20s. During this period Parthiv Patel was not too bad with the bat and was being backed by the seniors. If ICL existed then it is possible it could have lured Dhoni and BCCI promptly would have banned him. Similarly Karthik may have gone the same route. I think cricket is going to be hurt quite a bit by ICL. Cricket boards from around the world should accept ICL and promote good healthy competition. Player burn out is an issue if both existed but something can be worked out in the long run. I hope ICL will not be opposed by ICC and rest of the cricketing boards.
Ravi, If the organisation for which they were playing, would look after them, why would they go?? But BCCI keeps on neglecting domestic cricket and treat domestic cricketers as dirts. Don't they deserve this? If they do not want the players to go, should they not pay them handsome money, give them contracts from the states that they play like it is done in England, Australia, SA etc? Should they not pull up their socks to run a bit more professionally and see that talents like Rayudu are properly looked after? If they are not willing to do so, I hope most the domestic players leave BCCI.
Ravi, If the organisation for which they were playing, would look after them, why would they go?? But BCCI keeps on neglecting domestic cricket and treat domestic cricketers as dirts. Don't they deserve this? If they do not want the players to go, should they not pay them handsome money, give them contracts from the states that they play like it is done in England, Australia, SA etc? Should they not pull up their socks to run a bit more professionally and see that talents like Rayudu are properly looked after? If they are not willing to do so, I hope most the domestic players leave BCCI.
I understand your POV but you have to understand BCCI has to pay not just 20+ cricket players but 20+ domestic cricketers from every province. I understand BCCI may not have been playing the domestic cricketers very well but no way they can match the ICL payments for now. Against with ICL guys like Lara will get paid big but not the young players. The payment gap will be so huge at some point in time the not so big players may become dissatisfied. I'm not offering excuses for BCCI but ICL also has plenty of loop holes that needs to be plugged. All I'm saying is the best way forward is to co-exist and not trample over each other. That will only mean loss of quality in cricket and passion.
All I'm saying is the best way forward is to co-exist and not trample over each other. That will only mean loss of quality in cricket and passion
ICL had tried that in the beginning but were snubbed. I don't know with what plan they went to BCCI, but they were more than willing to work with BCCI. It is just that BCCI saw it as someone with whom they might have to share the pie. Now the condition is worse. They have to share the players too. Plus ICL has some good political backing as well and sponsors are already getting interested!

Read here why the Hyderabad cricketers embraced ICL: Blame it on HCA HYDERABAD: The Hyderabad Ranji cricketers, who signed up with the Indian Cricket League, put the blame on the Hyderabad Cricket Association for their decision to part ways. “We had hopes of making it big. We put our heart and soul into everything. But, in the end it all came to naught,” P. Kaushik Reddy, the Ranji fast bowler who spoke on behalf of the group, said here on Wednesday. “We had problems with the previous coach but we did not have the courage to take up the issue with the HCA top brass for the fear of being victimised,” Kaushik Reddy said. “The most disappointing feature is the selection process for the State team. “The good performers were given a raw deal. One batsman with a highest score of 35 got selected to play in the Challenger Trophy,” he pointed out. Kaushik, who did most of the briefing with other signatories present (only Anirudh Singh was absent as he is in England) did not agree with the view that their decision was because they had lost all hopes of playing in higher grades of cricket. “The MRF Pace Foundation asked the HCA to nominate two fast bowlers over the last two years. But none of us was even informed about this. It is proof that the HCA bosses were not concerned about our future,” Kaushik said. “Even the current coach never allowed the captain the freedom which he desired. He always dictated terms from beyond the boundary line,” Kaushik said. “It is sad that even corporate teams are getting more matches now-a-days than the regular Ranji cricketers in Hyderabad,” Kaushik added. Rayudu was more diplomatic in his approach. “I look at the ICL as a huge opportunity to play with world class players. It is a reality check — where exactly we stand and how good we are against some of the best,” he said. He said he would leave it to the wisdom of the HCA to comment on his ‘attitude’ problems. “My teammates know more about me,” he added. “I don’t want to think whether if I had stayed back, and not joined ICL, I would have played for India or not. Or whether I was not given the desired support by the HCA. This is not the time to comment on that. I am excited and looking forward to the ICL matches,” he said. ------------------------------------------------ So there!! Treatment of players is a big issue even at state level!