Bihari Recipes

suma25

It's all about keeping the others out lurker.... Delhi is full of Bengali ,garhwali punjabi societies ......if not religion then region....bas mauka chahiye sab ko .....
Aap wehan hi baat karti hain. Yehan USA mein apravaasi bhartiya(nri) have Telugu, Tamil, Oriya and all the kind of society you can imagine. Often there are 3 sub groups within a Telugu society! Yup we need a mauka bas.. Waise Garhwaali Punjabi society? Yeh kya hai bhai? :bowwow:

sorry...garhwali ' date=' punjabi....:D[/quote'] Oh okay. Waise how are Garhwaalis? I have heard they are very bad. Hamesha idhar ki baat udhar karna, logon mein larai lagwaana, apne ghar ka kachra bahar phenkna and in general logon ki naakon mein dam karna. Is that true. (you are a Garhwaali arent you hehehehe)

Guest dada_rocks

Garhwali anecdote suno: I had a garhwali friend with last name dobriyal. His mom was devout one she used to shun any food which she herself did not cook. My muslim female colleague once visited his place and offered her Eid sewai. Auntyjee refused it. Well I am fond of auntijee bahut khaya hai unke hath ka khana so won't say a word. Some other time we visited his place with her lunch time came and we were about to sit to devour at last minute colleague made a very lame excuse and wiggled herself out of taking lunch routine . Later on I asked her why did she lie like that then she told me that old story then I gave her detailed picture of aunti's devoutness. People could be crazy regardless of origin..

Dobriyal.....Brahmin. Waisay ...in the hills even some of the pandits are non vegetarians.By pandit I mean Pujaris... My father told me that when they were kids ,they used to have goat sacrifices and the head used to be always given to the pujari as his share.....

My father told me that when they were kids ' date='[b']they used to have goat sacrifices and the head used to be always given to the pujari as his share.....
This is why the Pundits used to get mad and then take it out on poor Hindus. What are you gonna do with a goat-head? It is not like fish, is it now? Are they going to eat the kaan ya sing(horn)?? Okay coming back to the vegetarian issue now. Generally speaking is it fair to say veggies don't exactly like their food? Now this based on personal experience of course. But non-veggies would love to go out and eat, veggies dont. And even when you visit their(veggie's) house you come back muttering, "Kam se kam paneer hi bana deta...bas channe ki sabzi khila di...phir se". Or is it just me :confused_smile:

Great. I would keep that in mind when I am in town next. Waise I have always disliked Malls and Multiplexes Sandtest. Maybe its because I always loved to catch the Churchgate local, walk out to Eros and Sterling, catch a movie, then have some nice maska-paav in an Irani dhaaba and then go back home. With multiplexes around it is so much easier to do all of that I suppose. Walk to one, catch a movie with 50 and not 500 people, munch popcorn(price of which is sometimes included in total cost of ticket) and then go back home. I wonder if that would be as fascinating? And maybe Sterling and Eros are now doing pretty bad..financially I suppse? xx
yup sterling is cinverted into multiplex just recently... duno abt eros the only decent single screen theatre still running is regal and i like their samosas and caramel popcorns

yup sterling is cinverted into multiplex just recently... duno abt eros the only decent single screen theatre still running is regal and i like their samosas and caramel popcorns
Darn! I saw Matrix in Sterling. Did not understand a word of the movie so went there again. Loved that theatre. Regal was pretty good too and now I want to have some samosa yummy. Good places all, sad to see them go one by one. :sad_smile:

And maybe Sterling and Eros are now doing pretty bad..financially I suppse? xx
Yep, they are just surviving somehow. Many old time famous Cinema theatre owners are planning to convert them in multiplex to include all in one shopping malls. Western style shopping malls are catching-up very fast in Mumbai...people from all clasees like to visit them and end up purchasing something which they feel is cheap. One prominent thing I have noticed is slow downfall of Kiraana type traditional baniya grocery stores -- they use to make decent business before arrival of Shopping Malls. One can practically see that middle-class families preferring Malls over Kiraana shops due to cost factor....don't know how these freakin Malls are able to keep cost low?

One prominent thing I have noticed is slow downfall of Kiraana type traditional baniya grocery stores -- they use to make decent business before arrival of Shopping Malls. One can practically see preferring Malls over Kiraana shops due to cost factor....don't know how these freakin Malls are able to keep cost low?
Buy in bulk and sell at a little profit. The Mallwallahs make their money in volume. You know this(mall/multiplexes) culture has practically changed Indian tradition without us realizing it. The other day I was talking to my parents(they are in Delhi) and they told me how they end up going to the mall atleast once a week. Sometimes 2-3 times. The frequency of eating out is the same. Now if you compare that with the time when we were growing up I suppose it is fair to say we did not go out as often, eating out once every 3-4 month was a big deal. At most the family went to cinema but hell in Gaya it took 50 bucks for a family of 5 to watch the movie...and that included rickshaw fare. xxx

Now if you compare that with the time when we were growing up I suppose it is fair to say we did not go out as often, eating out once every 3-4 month was a big deal. At most the family went to cinema but hell in Gaya it took 50 bucks for a family of 5 to watch the movie...and that included rickshaw fare. xxx
Iss baat se Uttar Pradesh saamne aa geyaa. Jaunpur mein jaao-- and even today famous "Dubey's Daal Fry" you can eat in 8 Rupiya-- taste is too good to forget. Add to that Cinema Halls with wooden seats onlee:regular_smile: nevermind khatmals -- watch a classic Bhojpuri movie or Hindi one in 15-20 rupiyaa.

Iss baat se Uttar Pradesh saamne aa geyaa. Jaunpur mein jaao-- and even today famous "Dubey's Daal Fry" you can eat in 8 Rupiya-- taste is too good to forget. Add to that Cinema Halls with wooden seats onlee:regular_smile: nevermind khatmals -- watch a classic Bhojpuri movie or Hindi one in 15-20 rupiyaa.
Boss Mumbai mein aadha population is from Jaunpur/Azamgarh. My cousin used to be a senior administrative office of Azamgarh and unka naam ka (dur)upyog karke humne bahut dosti kiya hai Autowaalon se lekar sabzi waalon se. Plus tooti footi Bhojpuri always helped! Waise price ke maamle mein Gaya will beat most places man. Aaj bhi samosa comes at a buck(bachpan mein chawani mein milta tha..dont know if anyone uses char aana these days). Tickets are in the same range as Jaunpur. Wooden seats with strange black soot on the ceiling. Fans hanging out of the top with some metal rod bent at weird angles. And more importantly people/audience throwing on torch light on the screen when the electricity goes off. :dance::dance:

Private entity with a right to do what it wants. It is stupid and bad business practice, but beyond that, why should anyone care? Move on to the next apartment complex. BTW, I am eggitarian, but the missus pretty much cooks and eats anything that's edible.