This 20/20 nonsense

Gambit

This 20/20 nonsense  

1. 1.

• Of course. It's cricket after all.
    • Nope. It's a joke.
    • Will start to care if India do well.
    • I dont want to take part in your stupid poll.

Twenty20 kicks @ss. It's like a 50 over match, except it cuts out all the boredom one usually experiences between overs 15-40. Non-stop action. The purists frowned upon colored clothing and the 50 over game when it first rose to prominence during Kerry Packer's World Series of cricket. The reaction towards this new version of the game is just history revisited. Twenty20 attracts the crowds, the money, the advertisers. It's only a matter of time before the 50 over game is done away at the expense of the Twenty20 game. Like it or not.
True, and I think in the coming years it will match ODI cricket if not overtake it

Hey Gambit. Where's the option for: Yes. I love it! ? :regular_smile: I wouldn't vote for it but some have this opinion. 1. It's a great spectator sport. Fans have voted with their feet on this one. 2. I see it more as fun than good cricket. 3. An Afridi, Symmo, KP or Sehwag could win a match in 2 or 3 overs of clean hitting. 4. Although the bowlers will be cannon fodder, there's still scope for a starring performance. South African, Ryan McLaren took a hat trick for Kent in the recent T20 Cup final in County Cricket and won Man of the Match honours. 5. If it helps keep the best form of cricket alive, Tests/first class, as ODIs have done, then I have no objections.

You guys can complain as much as you want. But 25-30 years down the line ' date=' this will be the only form of cricket that will be played.[/quote'] mars-man... test cricket can never die... it survived an era when there was only radio commentary and people were glued to their pocket-radios for 5 days... this aint nuffin...
You guys can complain as much as you want. But 25-30 years down the line ' date=' this will be the only form of cricket that will be played.[/quote'] Maybe you're right. But I'm not married to cricket and will ditch it as soon as it starts to become boring to me ie. when test cricket loses it's aura.
mars-man... test cricket can never die... it survived an era when there was only radio commentary and people were glued to their pocket-radios for 5 days... this aint nuffin...
Gats , you know as well as i do that any sport is T.V driven these days. As 20/20 gains in popularity ( which it will) , the viewer ratings will shift to it slowly. Soon , it will be a domino effect and there would hardly any viewers for good ol' test cricket. When there is no viewing , ads will drop and hence the coverage of it too. Then test cricket will be played in the news papers only. The trend is changing Gats. The writing is on the wall, unfortunately.
Maybe you're right. But I'm not married to cricket and will ditch it as soon as it starts to become boring to me ie. when test cricket loses it's aura.
The main aspects of 20/20 which you seem to detest , namely slogging and clever containing bowling , are after all as much a cricketing skill as a well played defensive shot or a beautiful outswinger. I see reason why you would not like this aspect of cricket. Of` course there is something called personal preference, which is entirely your own prerogative.
The main aspects of 20/20 which you seem to detest ' date=' namely slogging and clever containing bowling , are after all as much a cricketing skill as a well played defensive shot or a beautiful outswinger. I see reason why you would not like this aspect of cricket. Of` course there is something called personal preference, which is entirely your own prerogative.[/quote'] I like slogging and containment up to a point. But when those factors assume the primary importance in a game I am not too much up for it. That's why I don't enjoy the 300+ run fests. In my enjoyment of the game they are auxillary skills and I would like to watch my cricket with those skills being secondary rather than primary.
I like slogging and containment up to a point. But when those factors assume the primary importance in a game I am not too much up for it. That's why I don't enjoy the 300+ run fests. In my enjoyment of the game they are auxillary skills and I would like to watch my cricket with those skills being secondary rather than primary.
You are right on this. An even contest between bat and ball makes for best viewing.
As 20/20 gains in popularity ( which it will) , the viewer ratings will shift to it slowly. Soon , it will be a domino effect and there would hardly any viewers for good ol' test cricket. When there is no viewing , ads will drop and hence the coverage of it too. Then test cricket will be played in the news papers only. The trend is changing Gats. The writing is on the wall, unfortunately.
Although this is possible, I can't agree. I base this on all the nay saying that ODIs brought down on Test cricket and that it would die a natural death because of ODIs being far more suitable for TV. Well ODIs have been around for decades now and Test cricket looks pretty healthy to me. In fact, Tests were subsidised for quite a while by the money brought in from ODIs but then came what some saw as a flow-on from ODIs to Tests in that Tests became more interesting and more results were being achieved. We saw players like Gilly, Sehwag, Jayasuriya, Warney, Murali, Gayle and, to a lesser degree, others like Afridi, Astle (with his astonishing double century), KP, Malinga etc. bringing a whole new buzz to Tests.