This 20/20 nonsense

Gambit

This 20/20 nonsense  

1. 1.

• Of course. It's cricket after all.
    • Nope. It's a joke.
    • Will start to care if India do well.
    • I dont want to take part in your stupid poll.

I have mixed views on 20/20. I suppose even when ODI cricket was initially introduced, there were people who objected it or played down its importance. It was a change and people do not like change.This is the same thing we are seeing with 20/20. But one must wonder how this 20/20 became so important that in less than 2 years, we have a world cup for it. There are teams like India who have played only a single 20/20 match and yet we have a world cup for this 20/20. Why did it become so important to the ICC? Simply because England showed interest in it and were good at pulling crowds with the 20/20. I reckon if it was another country that started off like this, they would be ridiculed at. Just take a look at the state of the ICL. India and Pakistan threatening their players to the extent of banning them if they join the ICL. Furthermore, the Pak official calling it a mickey mouse league literally. I suppose they cant say the same for 20/20 because England are the forefront runners of this new format.

Do they play it wearing chaddis? My question to 20/20 apologists.... Why stop at 20/20. Why not 10/10 or 5/5? Or how about 3/3 played over 9 innings and the bowler is allowed to stand and pitch. The batters (yes, batters) can chew tobacco and spit it on the ground.
Cut the emotion and see the writing on the wall. A 20/20 is a perfect media sport. Match begins and ends in three hours. Plenty of chances for ads and some high voltage hitting. Would you like to see a drab affair between Bangladesh and Sri Lanka for 5 days , where one team is pulverised from day 1 making it a no contest or some exciting cricket where sides are evenly matched ? The spectator is not for the sport. The sport is for the spectator.

Twenty20 kicks @ss. It's like a 50 over match, except it cuts out all the boredom one usually experiences between overs 15-40. Non-stop action. The purists frowned upon colored clothing and the 50 over game when it first rose to prominence during Kerry Packer's World Series of cricket. The reaction towards this new version of the game is just history revisited. Twenty20 attracts the crowds, the money, the advertisers. It's only a matter of time before the 50 over game is done away at the expense of the Twenty20 game. Like it or not.

Twenty20 kicks @ss. It's like a 50 over match, except it cuts out all the boredom one usually experiences between overs 15-40. Non-stop action. The purists frowned upon colored clothing and the 50 over game when it first rose to prominence during Kerry Packer's World Series of cricket. The reaction towards this new version of the game is just history revisited. Twenty20 attracts the crowds, the money, the advertisers. It's only a matter of time before the 50 over game is done away at the expense of the Twenty20 game. Like it or not.
:thumbs_up:

Cricket , if promoted properly , could make some serious inroads into the Americas. I have no doubts about that. 20/20 is the way forward. Which is precisely the reason why the current generation of players will have their one day and test records stand FOREVER.

Cricket has to cater to the purists and the non purists. There is nothing wrong with the Twenty20 format. People won't really take seriously but will enjoy a quick game. The short format will help the young and the old ones attend these games. All it takes is about 3 to 3 1/2 hours to enjoy a game of cricket. If ICC was to tinker the test match format and introduce Twenty20 I would have been miffed but it's only an addition to the already existing format. It will also help people take up the game at grass root level. A lot of people don't quite find enough time to play entire day of cricket but a quick 3 hour game will ensure more people at club level will take up Twnety20 format. It'll only help the sport and I can't see how it can harm the game. I'm all for it.

Let us be honest Sriram, test cricket is "THE" best format particularly these days as almost every test produces results. Test cricket unfolds over 5 days and mostly you get a lot of roller coaster raids that every sport follower aspires for. ODIs don't really provide similar thrilling results. The world cup was a testimony to it. There were hardly couple of games that could keep the audience glued to the telly till the last ball. I suppose Twenty20 will provide results that are much more closer than say ODIs. It's a matter of time really, people will embrace it as the time ticks.

The 50 over game used to be this hot chick, but now she is well over 30 years old and her tits are sagging. This wench has lost the appeal that she once had. Twenty20 is like the 50 over game's super hot and wild little sister who likes to pour beer down her cleavage I know which one i'd go for.

Let us be honest Sriram, test cricket is "THE" best format particularly these days as almost every test produces results. Test cricket unfolds over 5 days and mostly you get a lot of roller coaster raids that every sport follower aspires for. ODIs don't really provide similar thrilling results. The world cup was a testimony to it. There were hardly couple of games that could keep the audience glued to the telly till the last ball. I suppose Twenty20 will provide results that are much more closer than say ODIs. It's a matter of time really, people will embrace it as the time ticks.
Ravi , i completely agree with you when you say test cricket is a true reflection of cricketing talents of the teams. But unfortunately , any sport is driven is TV and money and has to change itself to suit the needs of the visual medium. That is inevitable.
Guest dada_rocks
The 50 over game used to be this hot chick, but now she is well over 30 years old and her tits are sagging. This wench has lost the appeal that she once had. Twenty20 is like the 50 over game's super hot and wild little sister who likes to pour beer down her cleavage I know which one i'd go for.
sahi mein aaj kalidas zinda hote na to wo bhi aapke is upma-upameya sunkar dhany ho jate